natural remedies for teething - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how do you know when your baby is teething?  mine is almost 24 weeks old and he might be teething, but i'm not sure.  if he is teething, are there any natural things that would help him feel better?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM

My DS is almost exactly the same age.  I find the biggest clue to be drool... tons and tons of drool.  He puts everything in his mouth all the time so that's not much of a tip off but I do notice it's only when he's teething that he really wants to munch on our knuckles.

There are homeopathic teething tablets that can provide some relief - Hyland's have been recalled right now but Humphrey's are still available.  I also read somewhere that letting them chew on a raw onion (I know!) can help but I haven't tried it.  And I've also read about putting cold water melon chunks in a mesh teether and letting the baby have at it.

Good luck!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 AM

We got an amber necklace for ds. He went from screaming and holding his mouth to just drooling and chewing on things overnight. We never take it off him, and just this morning I found his first two teeth coming in! He tossed around in his sleep a lot last night, but that was it. No screaming or anything.

#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Cell salts, there's a long thread in Health & Healing, and they've stopped my DD's teething pain.  Interestingly--my daughter is 7, and those 6-year molars and new incisors can hurt, I had no idea.  I really wish I'd known about cell salts back when DD was a baby and couldn't tell me what was wrong.

#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can soak a baby washcloth in chamomile tea and stick in the freezer.  Baby can chew and suck on the cloth. I have also found that homeopathic chamomillia works better for us than the teething tablets.  I can't say enough about the raw amber teething necklaces - DD is 3.5 and still wears her, since it's great for overall inflammation as well as teething.  And if your baby can hold a mesh feeder, frozen cubes of breastmilk can be really comforting.  Good luck!

treehugger.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM

I just learned this week that it also helps to just wipe baby's gums off with a wet wash cloth. Apparently the bacteria on the gums where the tooth is coming in causes the pain and irritation. My daughter loves it too when I massage her gums with a little finger tooth brush that I dip in cold water. We also have the amber necklace and I sometimes put two pellets of chamomilla C30 (homeopathic remedy) in the water for the tooth brush. I think Boiron has a homeopathic remedy for teething called camilia. You can get it at Whole Foods. 

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page