amber teething necklaces- really, they work??? and what size and where to order? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I keep reading how these amber teething necklaces work so well... really? I'm willing to try it I guess. DS is not teething yet, but it's gotta be soon so I'm getting prepared. Has anyone used a necklace and not noticed any difference?

I'm skeptical, but like I said, willing to try! What size (how many inches) is good for a baby? I know they say they are safe, but my son is super strong - anyone had a necklace break and amber all over the place?

Where is the best place to order from?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think they do work, personally. Ours is from Inspired By Finn. You don't have to worry about amber everywhere if you order from IBF because the beads are individually knotted, so if it did break, the most you would lose would be one bead. The clasp is also a breakaway clasp, so chances are it would break there, anyway.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

What was the length that you ordered?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#4 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM

ours are from Inspired by Finn also. I think the size are infant/toddler and child.

I believe they work for us. definitely. And soooo cute too :).

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#5 of 13 Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM

I purchased mine (one for DD and one for myself) from Inspired by Finn.  I got the smallest size for DD and then a 20 inch one for myself (I think).  :)

#6 of 13 Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM

I also purchased from Inspired by Finn and I ordered a 14 inch one for DS. :) My son hasn't broken his yet and he has been teething and I always hear people groan and complain about how awful their child hurt while teething, but DS hasn't really had issues with it, at he just got his first tooth in and has been teething since 3 months (he's 8.5 months now!)

dreads.gif treehugger.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifintactivist.gifwinner.jpgslingboy.gifRainbow.gif Mama to the apple of my eye, Brennan Scott, born May 11, 2010 stillheart.gif
#7 of 13 Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 AM

jumping in to ask a ? - do you take the necklace off at night?  i noticed it says on the site it should be taken off, but that is when i am looking for pain relief for dd2!!!!  

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#8 of 13 Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM

I don't. She sleeps in my arms, though, so I am not worried about her getting it caught on anything.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#9 of 13 Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM

we do cosleep-sometimes she's right up on me but sometimes she's doing the froggied belly crouch thing in the middle of us.  she will be a year on 2/1.  think it's ok to leave one on her?  im thinking of ordering now...love the ones that look less polished!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#10 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM

My son is 8 months old and I have had it on him since about 2 months and I have always let him sleep with it on. It's fine. :) we've never had any issues. Just be sure to take it off while giving a bath.

dreads.gif treehugger.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifintactivist.gifwinner.jpgslingboy.gifRainbow.gif Mama to the apple of my eye, Brennan Scott, born May 11, 2010 stillheart.gif
#11 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM

You can always put it on your baby's ankle while they sleep. We used to do that with DD's hazelwood necklace. We have since purchased an amber necklace (13") from inspired by finn and we do take it off at night even though she sleeps with us. To be honest, I'm still not sure if it is actually helping with teething pain. DD is almost 13 months old and has 12 teeth with her canines ready to come through too - she has a really hard time for about a week before they break through. It sure looks cute so we keep putting it on her! Maybe it would be even worse without it....not sure though :)

'

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#12 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 02:48 AM

Inspired by Finn is where we ordered my DS necklace, I think the shortest strand, 14"? I took a piece of string and measured where I felt was a comfortable length, I am very happy with the quality of the necklace from IBF. What I did learn from researching amber necklaces, is that the paler and cloudier the bead/stone, the higher amount of succinic acid, which has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties to it. When the bead is warmed against the skin, the warmth releases the acid, so I've read it works best when the beads are worn close to the site of trouble (good for arthritis too). We co-sleep too, so I feel comfortable keeping it on him at night. Does it work? I think so. I took it off for a morning bath and forgot to put it back on, I remember noticing how fussy he was during that day.  

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#13 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! And that's interesting about the light and cloudy amber having the highest amount of succinic acid- good to know, because I was going to order the dark stuff now I won't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page