Where are the Sept '10 babies? - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 658 Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So happy for you, Mae!

Caitlin now has 4 top teeth (can't remember if I mentioned that) and just tonight started pulling up to standing. She spent the weekend swimming in a lake and boating and is definitely an up-north kind of girl!

As for taking photos off auto, what kind of camera do you have? Can you adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO? Here are a few tips on the technical side, then a few on the artistic side:

* Shoot in aperture mode. The lower that number, the less depth-of-field you'll have in focus, so you can get great portraits with the smeared, buttery background.

* Buy a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for great portrait shots. For either Canon or Nikon you can get one for around $100 and you'll be amazed at the difference between that and whatever kit lens probably came with your camera.

* Keep your ISO as low as possible, but dial it up for shooting in low light if necessary.

* Look at the shutter speed that your camera is using when you're in aperture mode. If it's a number that is smaller than your lens length, use a tripod or open the aperture or up the ISO. So, for example, if you've got your 50mm prime lens on and your aperture setting requires a 1/20 second shutter speed for proper exposure, that's too slow for you to take without shake if you're holding the camera in your hand. Open the aperture to get at least as fast as 1/50 second.

* Avoid using the on-camera flash, since it makes people appear pretty dull and lifeless. It can work for a fill flash if you're shooting in bright sunlight and the sun is behind your subject, but don't use it in low light if you can avoid it.

And artistic tips:

* Position your subject so that you can see the little white square of "catch light" in their eyes. Standing between the light source and your subject is good.

* Get on your subject's level - so sit or lie down on the ground to photograph babies.

* Or get well above them and look down. Or do both.

* Fill the frame with your subject unless the point of the photo is to show off the setting. Way too many photos include too much of the surroundings and you can barely make out the subject.

* And most importantly, think about what story you want to tell when composing your photograph, and who the audience for that story is.

And for those of us who don't shoot enough to have a gut feel for timing, and especially when shooting children, don't be afraid to take lots of photos and throw away the vast majority of them. DSLR camera usually have a rapid-shoot mode that can take several shots per second. This is good when you can't count on a child holding a facial expression, or when you're going for an action shot. Just be sure to cull the photos viciously and immediately - going back to sort them later is something you're not likely to find the time for.

MaerynPearl likes this.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#542 of 658 Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM

YES. I have a huge extra drive just for my photos because I take hundreds at a time... I mostly shoot children, groups and families so I have to take lots to either catch them all with a good expression or have enough to choose from to put the expressions together.

I have literally THOUSANDS of photos that I have taken just in the past 6 months. I keep them all, however in addition to photography I also like to edit photos and I keep a lot of my failures for practice editing or because they are super cute candids

never ever underestimate the power of a mistake in a photo, for example:
188611_1008886637211_1676312575_9443_4220802_n.jpg
Looks like a beautiful photo of a girl smelling the flowers, right? Her mother made me print a poster size of that because she loved it so much.

What you don't know is she was actually goofing around and pretending to eat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post

And for those of us who don't shoot enough to have a gut feel for timing, and especially when shooting children, don't be afraid to take lots of photos and throw away the vast majority of them. DSLR camera usually have a rapid-shoot mode that can take several shots per second. This is good when you can't count on a child holding a facial expression, or when you're going for an action shot. 

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#543 of 658 Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM

A few recent photos, though her top teeth are now much bigger than in the photo with the pink shirt.

5934754553_6f058f5b93_z.jpg

5934777953_a17d2bb1cc_z.jpg

5934777523_e3aa4cc192_z.jpg

Jenifer & Tim
#544 of 658 Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Jenifera2, THANKS for these tips!!!! This is very helpful!!! I had an old, manual Minolta back when I was in college, and I remember using the light meter in the camera a lot. I was just not clear on how to translate these rules of thumb for these digital cameras these days (esp. since it's so fuzzy for me now)! Yay! Our Nikon D50 takes great shots a lot of the time, but I have been having a really hard time getting decent pics out of our Canon G12, which is supposed to be a great camera for its size and has great reviews. Hopefully, these tips will help a ton!

Quote:

So happy for you, Mae!

Caitlin now has 4 top teeth (can't remember if I mentioned that) and just tonight started pulling up to standing. She spent the weekend swimming in a lake and boating and is definitely an up-north kind of girl!

As for taking photos off auto, what kind of camera do you have? Can you adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO? Here are a few tips on the technical side, then a few on the artistic side:

* Shoot in aperture mode. The lower that number, the less depth-of-field you'll have in focus, so you can get great portraits with the smeared, buttery background.

* Buy a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for great portrait shots. For either Canon or Nikon you can get one for around $100 and you'll be amazed at the difference between that and whatever kit lens probably came with your camera.

* Keep your ISO as low as possible, but dial it up for shooting in low light if necessary.

* Look at the shutter speed that your camera is using when you're in aperture mode. If it's a number that is smaller than your lens length, use a tripod or open the aperture or up the ISO. So, for example, if you've got your 50mm prime lens on and your aperture setting requires a 1/20 second shutter speed for proper exposure, that's too slow for you to take without shake if you're holding the camera in your hand. Open the aperture to get at least as fast as 1/50 second.

* Avoid using the on-camera flash, since it makes people appear pretty dull and lifeless. It can work for a fill flash if you're shooting in bright sunlight and the sun is behind your subject, but don't use it in low light if you can avoid it.

And artistic tips:

* Position your subject so that you can see the little white square of "catch light" in their eyes. Standing between the light source and your subject is good.

* Get on your subject's level - so sit or lie down on the ground to photograph babies.

* Or get well above them and look down. Or do both.

* Fill the frame with your subject unless the point of the photo is to show off the setting. Way too many photos include too much of the surroundings and you can barely make out the subject.

* And most importantly, think about what story you want to tell when composing your photograph, and who the audience for that story is.

And for those of us who don't shoot enough to have a gut feel for timing, and especially when shooting children, don't be afraid to take lots of photos and throw away the vast majority of them. DSLR camera usually have a rapid-shoot mode that can take several shots per second. This is good when you can't count on a child holding a facial expression, or when you're going for an action shot. Just be sure to cull the photos viciously and immediately - going back to sort them later is something you're not likely to find the time for.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#545 of 658 Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Yay Mae!  So happy for you.

We got away for the weekend... it was bliss.  Last time the husband and I had more than 4 hours alone, I had just found out I was pregnant with the baby.  BUT.... we get back and the first thing I see is a rash,  Mouth, groin, hands, feet.  Suuuuuuuuper.  So looks like I'll be taking a sick day to find out if it's coxsackie and contagious or random no-big-deal rash.

Daycare sucks.  :(

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#546 of 658 Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 PM

That rash doesn't sound good. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

For those interested in taking better pictures of your babies, I've been loving Me Ra Koh's new book,Your Baby In Pictures: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Baby-Pictures-Parents-Photographing/dp/0817400036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310955745&sr=8-1

It offers suggestions for photos from newborn to 1 year, complete with the settings you might use on your camera, whether it's point-and-shoot or DSLR. Even though our babies are nearing a year, there are still some fun suggestions in the 6-9 month and 9-12 month sections that could be used, and it would be a great buy for any photographer planning to have another baby or who likes to take photos of other babies.  Here are a couple of her shots that I replicated this weekend:

5948476011_a7d0d72daa.jpg

5948475519_af63418f01.jpg

Jenifer & Tim
#547 of 658 Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 AM

So... how are our babies doing with vocabulary? 

Mae has "said" a ton, and a lot of it has made sense to us but I know having had two kids before it doesn't count as talking yet because although it makes sense to us and sounds like she means it, she has no clue what she actually said and does not repeat it.

We're getting close, I think, to a "mommy" seriously meaning me. Working on "daddy" too but right now more than anything we are working on getting to know daddy again.

Today, Mae seems to be working on how to do kisses correctly.

284638_10150241808226400_709041399_7956996_4537024_n.jpg

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#548 of 658 Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

We have a couple of words! Yay-ya = Reya, And I get "mum" when she's tired and wants to nurse.. I'm not 100% that's me.. it could be nursies lol.  The new one from this weekend is DADDY! She totally skipped over "da da" and went straight to DADDY! Dh was outside on a business call and she's started calling him from the window.  It was the sweetest thing ever! Reya and I just looked at each other and said "Did you hear that!?" 

Her confidence is gaining on the walking thing.  She's taking 6-10 steps at a time now, and if she loses her balance she stands back up without actually falling.  I can't believe how fast this has happened. 

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#549 of 658 Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I think she's trying out "doggie" but I'm not 100% sure on that one lol

Amanda

#550 of 658 Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM

We had mama, dada, and baba really early.... and he kind of stopped bothering with that as soon as crawling came into the picture.  He does "say" Fffffffff quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure that's "Finn" (older brother).  Mama means me, or "I'm cranky, do something!"  Dada means daddy, or "I'm really happy, yay!"

And the rash is Hand, Foot, and Mouth.  But the doc said he's not contagious anymore, so that's a plus.  And while he is not a fan of eating right now, he will take regular gulps of ice water, so he's well hydrated.  The doc said he's fighting it off really well.  Still - ouchy blisters in his mouth!  Poor baby.

And daycare SUCKS.  He's the 4th kid in his room that was diagnosed today.  :(

#551 of 658 Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I hope he recovers quickly!

Amanda

#552 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Walking, Mae has taken a few steps... 3 is her current record. I don't think it will be long before she's off wandering around, she's gotten pretty solid at standing in the past week.

Talking Mae's new favorite game goes like this:

"mom" "what?" "ma" "what?" "mum" "what?" "mama" "what" "mommy" "what?" *various other M and Ah put together sounds* "what?" "dada" "I'm not daddy." and she squeals.

#553 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Our living/dining area is weirdly laid out, so we can't put up a baby gate.  We block off the area with her pack n play to keep Lila off the stairs.  She figured out how to squirm her way through, and climb the stairs.  Yesterday she climbed 1/2 way up the first flight and started screaming "Reeeee YA" "REEE-YA"  Til her sister came to fetch her! I can't believe she went from YAY ya to Reee Ya in 2 days!

Amanda

#554 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM

aww! i have a feeling Mae Mae will have a problem with her sisters name because it's sort of complicated so we are just calling her "sissy" for now... Mae isn't even attempting that or her brothers name. Though she does seem to want to say "kitty"

and walking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMKp0Pjjl0Q

#555 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM

DS started walking last week, its so cute. He hasn't said any words yet.He's good at grunting and pointing at what he wants.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#556 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Love walking!  I'm such a voyer I watched a few more.. That's a girl who doesn't like "no"!

I need to do a new one of Lila, now that she's more stable! Here she is dancing a couple of weeks ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JknwAlJQdOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

aww! i have a feeling Mae Mae will have a problem with her sisters name because it's sort of complicated so we are just calling her "sissy" for now... Mae isn't even attempting that or her brothers name. Though she does seem to want to say "kitty"

and walking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMKp0Pjjl0Q

Amanda

#557 of 658 Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Mae Mae shakes her butt to dance, no videos yet though

#558 of 658 Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Simon's taking it easy on the gross motor -- just started crawling.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#559 of 658 Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Ozzy keeps saying "daddy" but we're not sure if he really knows what it means.  It's possible-- last night when I was holding him he leaned towards Jason and put out his arms for Jason to hold him and said "daddy!"  LMAO.  It's so hard to tell how much of it is babble and how much is actually labelling, though.

Funny related, though-- my toddler and I were playing a "what does the animal say" game where I was naming all kinds of animals and she would make the noise.  And on a whim I said "what does a baby say?"  and she replied "ba ba ba ba ba!"  Hahahaha, he does do that a LOT.  

He "let go" for the first time last night while cruising furniture, but only for a second.  

Just got tooth number 8.

Still a giant giant giant baby.  Getting taller all the time.

I hate giving him a bath.  It's like giving a bath to a cat (except no claws, thankfully).  He squirms, struggles, tries to stand up and climb out, won't sit still, I'm wrestling him the ENTIRE TIME trying to wash him.  In comparison to his sister who has been able to sit nicely in the tub and play since she was like 6 months.  

He basically never sits still.  NEVER.  EVER.  EVER.  Unless I strap him into something (carseat, high chair, stroller, carrier).  If he is not literally strapped down, he is in motion.  I can't even hold him, without him leaning out all over the place trying to grab things and go places.  I really do not want him to walk.  He crawls too fast as it is.  He's all over the damn place.  I'm exhausted.  LMAO.  I'm starting to really realize what a calm baby/toddler his sister was/is.  

He wants to chew on electrical cords more than anything in the world.  Yesterday I was folding laundry and he was on the floor eyeing the cord to the fan.  He started towards the cord and I made the "AH!" [stop] sound.  He stopped, looked at me big-eyed, then looked at the cord big-eyed, then looked back at me.  Watching me.  As soon as I looked back at the laundry, there he goes again.  I say "AH!" again.  He stops.  For the next few minutes, I kept looking at him, and he would turn like he was going to go for the cord, then look back and see me watching him, and stop.  Over and over again.  You could see the thought in his head "when are you going to stop watching me so that I can get this cord?"  I was trying so hard not to laugh. 

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#560 of 658 Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Silas is crawling all over the place, but not pulling up or cruising furniture yet (thank goodness!). He has six teeth.

As to words...we're still just at "doggy!" I know who is special to baby...

He has six teeth and seems to be working on another one. 

I can't get over what a pleasant and easy-going baby he is. He only really acts up when he's in some kind of discomfort. Recently, we spent four days in DC because a play I directed was touring there. Everyone remarked on how happy he was just to hang out, crawling around the theater (in baby-proofed areas), or riding in the Ergo. I thanked him a thousand times for being such a sweetie.

He loves books, which makes me incredibly happy. We had our first trip to the library to get books for him yesterday. He's been in there before, but just because I needed to get a book FOR ME. He love love loved it. He's just now learning to turn pages in board books, and he can do that for hours.

He also has a sense of humor, I can tell. He doesn't say "mama" or "daddy" yet, but the other day, he was babbling: "mamamamammamamamamamama." I said, "Yes, that's right, MAMA." He looked right at me, and said "DADA!" and started giggling uncontrollably. It sounds like Mae told the same joke! :)

269631_590079245779_147800671_32537907_1392934_n.jpg

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#561 of 658 Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Kelly, that sounds so cute! I'm sure Ozzy was getting annoyed. I mean, what's wrong with that yummy chew toy? lol.gif

Elias loves cords as well. And shoes. Especially flip flops. I am not used to hiding shoes from a human. A dog, yes, but a 10 month old??

It's amazing to see how different the brothers are, and how little it has to do with me! If only I knew that with my oldest, I could have relaxed more. I feel like Elias is growing so much faster than his big brother. I can't believe in 2 more months he's going to be 1 and no longer an infant. I remember it being so much longer with his big brother.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#562 of 658 Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM

You know, we hardly belong in "life with a babe" anymore. We've got a whole lot of toddlers around here! I still love seeing everyone's photos!

Jenifer & Tim
#563 of 658 Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM

We've only got 4 teeth still... over the past day it's becoming more obvious that I am "Mom" (a little heartbreaking, I wanted to be Mommy again! but brother and sister call me Mom, so that is who I am.) And she seems to be developing quite a sense of humor. Her current two "jokes" are:

"Mom." "What?" "Mom." "what?" "Ma." "what?" "Mama." "what?" "Nom." *silence* *baby cracks up*

and

"Say daddy, Mae Mae! Da-Dee, Daddy!" "Mom."

She also started pointing! That's a big one for me, don't remember when my first two started pointing and Mae is already pointing and then staring at us to have us tell her what things are. Probably because that's a game we play with her where we point at things and tell her what they are... started out when daddy was deployed and I would point at pics of him and tell her who he was.

Oh and I got a video of her sort of dancing... she usually does much more than this though. She LOVES the song her teapot plays! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbTUavaj23w&feature=youtu.be

#564 of 658 Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Two new pics, a friend bought me a cow cloth diaper! It's just too cute. Anyway:

284968_10150244859051400_709041399_7988431_586815_n.jpg

Can't stop laughing at that one.

And her new trick!
185015_10150244858916400_709041399_7988429_8029753_n.jpg

#565 of 658 Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:

You know, we hardly belong in "life with a babe" anymore. We've got a whole lot of toddlers around here!

OMG - noooooo! It's too fast. orngtongue.gif

Although, I think you might be right, I peeked into the toddler section and I see the "July 2010" tribe is there.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#566 of 658 Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You know, we hardly belong in "life with a babe" anymore. We've got a whole lot of toddlers around here! I still love seeing everyone's photos!

:-( My baby toddles.  She just walked her tiny self across the room.  I might cry. 

Amanda

#567 of 658 Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post

:-( My baby toddles.  She just walked her tiny self across the room.  I might cry. 

I'll cry with you! bawling.gif

Why do the younger ones race to grow up? Not fair!

And it's way too early for toddling. We have at least 2 more months before then. Right? shy.gif

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#568 of 658 Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know.  My girl was an end of Sept baby! I figured it would be longer.  She's been climbing stairs for a couple of months, now she's starting to figure her way DOWN them!? She just hops off the sofa, and the bed now.  She doesn't wait for anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

I'll cry with you! bawling.gif

Why do the younger ones race to grow up? Not fair!

And it's way too early for toddling. We have at least 2 more months before then. Right

Amanda

#569 of 658 Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM

I sure as hell hope so.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

And it's way too early for toddling. We have at least 2 more months before then. Right? shy.gif

Ozzy pics, he'll be 11 months next week!

006.jpg

019-1.jpg

023-2.jpg

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#570 of 658 Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM

My little silly still only has two teeth.  The top ones are almost out though.

At day care they do roll-call, so if you say "Where's Tal?" he'll raise his hand.  So cute!  He also claps really well, and he's fantastic at playing catch. We have a few balls he can pick up in one hand, and he throws them overhand and is aim is generally right on.  I wanted to freeze time when I saw him playing catch with his older brother for the first time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page