Crying during diaper change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Julia cries just about every time we change her diaper. She is almost five weeks old. Anybody have any solutions? We have tried toys, warm wipes, daddy talking to her while I change her or the reverse, singing, etc. She hates it! I haven't been using our cloth diapers because I take so much longer to get them on her as a first time user.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Do you think it's the lying on her back? Or the cool air on her naked bits? Or some other part of it?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
mra

I don't think it is being on her back because at other times I can lay her on her back and she is fine, like when she is looking at something or when we are cuddling together. She usually starts to cry when I'm getting her clothes out of the way, so maybe the anticipation of the cold air?

#4 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Awww, poor muffin! I hope she grows out of it soon! greensad.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM

My babies cried all through their dipey changes for more than a couple months. I think it is just something they grow out of. I would just try to make it as quick as possible. And overnight I wouldn't bother changing pee pee diapers, only poopy ones (unless the pee sprung leak, of course) just to reduce the nighttime interruptions.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#6 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My almost 11 month old still cries at diaper changes no matter how quick what diaper when during the day or where I change her. Sometimes I can have her hold something that distracts her but not always. I jsut talk to her and change as fast as I can.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#7 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaV View Post

My babies cried all through their dipey changes for more than a couple months. I think it is just something they grow out of. I would just try to make it as quick as possible. And overnight I wouldn't bother changing pee pee diapers, only poopy ones (unless the pee sprung leak, of course) just to reduce the nighttime interruptions.

yeahthat.gif  Mine was the same way.  I think around 2 months he grew out of it?  It's all a blur now.  Even now if he's already fussy when we put him on the table we only use a diaper with velcro (fitteds or AIO).  He DID grow out of it though and sometimes diaper changes are actually a lot of fun with him chatting away and grinning!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#8 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Aww. I feel for you. My guy is the same age and is having the same issues. This may be a fluke, but over the past few days he seems to be getting a little better—I think as he becomes more alert and curious, he is easier to distract. This morning he looked towards the window the whole time I was changing him, with only a few squawks at the beginning and the end. Definitely preferable to the red-faced SCREAMS I usually get!

I agree with neonalee that velcro dipes are the way to go if you are wanting to start using your cloth stash. If you have them prepped beforehand (pockets stuffed, PFs laid out, etc.) they are really just as fast as disposables after you have used them a couple times. Even snaps are nearly as fast once you are used to them and familiar with which settings fit your babe.

Either way, I will keep my fingers crossed that she grows out of it soon for you. It's heartbreaking to listen to them crying like that!

#9 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My DS does the same thing.  Its part of the reason it took me nearly a month to be able to put a prefold on him properly!  Strangely he normally shuts up if I hold him over his potty... just to go back to screaming when I put him back on the changing table.  Maybe its the being held, maybe its that he can empty out everything he didn't put in the diaper (this kid has some CRAZY farts), or maybe its that he can look at the cute baby in the mirror.

Rarely he'll think diaper time is funny but its still hard to diaper a baby who keeps kicking his legs around.  If he's screaming too hard sometimes bringing my face right down to touch his and whisper to him helps but other times I pause changes to pick him up for a few seconds and calm him down.

Now what gets me is when I start putting a new diaper on and he pees.  I take him to the potty to see if he's going to go any more and he doesn't.  I start with a new diaper and he pees again.  I've gone through up to 4 clean diapers playing his little 'dirty every diaper' game.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#10 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 AM

My daughter did that until about 7 weeks old and then literally she just stopped.  It was like a light switch being set to off.  I hope it happens more quickly for you then seven weeks - I know it's hard to feel like you are torturing your own child!  :(

#11 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're in the opposite situation, DS used to love being on the changing table, and now suddenly at 8 months he hates it! I have learned to change his clothes with him standing up, but dipes he has to lie down for and he sometimes screams bloody murder. It's awful.

Anyway in your case, if it's the cold air, you could get a little space heater thingy for over the changing table. I just searched on Amazon and didn't find one...I think in the US folks don't use them as much. But here nearly every new mom gets one. They look like this. Maybe you can find something comparable? Definitely makes it nice and warm.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#12 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
mra

I've also tried holding her over her little potty, but that really made hrr scream. I felt very awkward so I think i'll wait until she can completely hold her head up. When using snap covers, are you supposed to snap both snaps on each side or just one? I'm trying to use the thirsties duo covers.

#13 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Technically you're supposed to snap both, but Jude was too skinny for the smallest setting for a while ... we improvised and snapped it tighter, which left the ends of the flaps sort of hanging there (the outermost snap on each flap was unsnapped, if that makes sense). Since they don't move around or tug at their clothes much, just doing one snap was fine until he beefed up a little.

#14 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post

I've also tried holding her over her little potty, but that really made hrr scream. I felt very awkward so I think i'll wait until she can completely hold her head up. When using snap covers, are you supposed to snap both snaps on each side or just one? I'm trying to use the thirsties duo covers.

I have some regular thirsties covers, the velcro kind, in XS that you can borrow if you want. I would just trifold the prefolds and lay them in the cover. smile.gif

#15 of 16 Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Now what gets me is when I start putting a new diaper on and he pees.  I take him to the potty to see if he's going to go any more and he doesn't.  I start with a new diaper and he pees again.  I've gone through up to 4 clean diapers playing his little 'dirty every diaper' game.

LOL these are the times I am REALLY grateful we use cloth!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#16 of 16 Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post

My almost 11 month old still cries at diaper changes no matter how quick what diaper when during the day or where I change her. Sometimes I can have her hold something that distracts her but not always. I jsut talk to her and change as fast as I can.

Deanna

Here too. DS is usually okay for the first change or two in the morning, but after that, he HOLLERS every time I change him. I have a huge pile of toys at the change table because it'll only be interesting to him once per day. I figure he just hates being pinned down and "messed with".

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page