When did your baby transition from 2 naps to 1? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I know there's a wide range of ages for any baby development thing, but I'm curious what the age range is for the 2-nap phase.  I know I've read some posts on this forum with babies taking 1 nap at 8 or 9 months.  I'm guessing that represents the early end of the scale (?)  What's the latest that kids generally go on two naps a day? (i.e. When can I reduce the amount of times in a day that I spend struggling to get DD to sleep???)

#2 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS just gave up his second nap (I'm still in mourning lol.gif) and he is 17 months. I know earlier than that is more common though (from what I've read).

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 AM

we are at 11 months and the second nap is on its way out. she still takes two naps 2 out of 3 days, but they are starting to get later and later and shorter and shorter, and interfering with bedtime. she does fine with one nap, provided it lasts long enough. basically, naps are all over the map right now... i have no idea when she'll settle down into settle something more predictable.

#4 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 AM

We're in the middling sort of transition phase here. Generally one of her two naps is lengthy while the other is short. She's almost 10 months old.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM

We are at almost 11 months ans still at 2 naps. My first 2 gave up 2 naps at around12 months when they started going to a day home. Right now we are still firmly at 2 naps. You can tell when it is getting time to change because it will be harder to get them to nap, as they are less tired, therefore the naps will get later, bedtime will be later, etc. Then it is time to cut out one of those naps, and you will likely find at 1 nap a day, that nap will be longer, and maybe earlier. right now babe is up at 730 -745, naps at 930 or 1000 until 1100 (never later). down at 130 or 200 up at 300 (never later). bedtime at around 730 pm. I expect than when the morning nap goes, the 1 nap will likely be around 1200, and hopefully last 2 hours!  my baby nap wakeup time are very much scheduled as I have to leave my house at 1100 am and 300 pm to pick up my other kids from school, no there is no option really.

#6 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Man...I hate the transition from 2 to 1 nap! Ugh....The morning nap gets later and later, which pushes back the afternoon nap because they can't go from the morning nap to bedtime because if they go to bed for the night at 5 pm they'll be up at 3 am!! lol.....When my little ones morning naps would creep consistently to 11 am, I started keeping them awake till at least 11 30 am, so give them an early lunch at 11 am, and then down at 1130, which would usually produce a long 2-3 hour nap. THen they would go down for the night at 7pm or so. As they got older, the one nap got later, and later till it was a regular afternoon nap around 1 pm-3/4 pm with an 8 pm bedtime. I had to make my dd1 give up her morning nap though. She was 18 months old and it was driving me crazy....but she was my sleeper. She still is. My dd2....NOT a sleeper. So, not something a parent can determine...just an fyi!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM

DS is 10.5 months and I think we're in the middle of it. Either his morning or afternoon nap has been a fight this past week or so, pretty much every day. Today I couldn't get him to go to sleep until 2...and he was up a little after 8a.

It's no fun. I hate it when he fights sleep. It was so nice when he predictably and easily napped at 9:30ish and 2ish for almost 2 hours each time....

#8 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Bah. This is where we are at too. DS is 11 months, and really only needs one nap.

My problem is that DD gets off the bus at our laneway at 12:25, and I am not comfortable at all leaving him in the house alone for the 5-10 minutes that it can take the bus to arrive. If I could get him down for a nap at 12:30, that would be fine, but at the moment he's NOT happy if he doesn't get a morning nap, but then he's not really ready for it until 11 or so... and still naps for at least 90 minutes... argh. I'm desperately hanging on to getting him to nap earlier in the morning, but I know it won't last much longer...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#9 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Ugh, today was hellacious with naps. Cecilia napped from 10-12 (which was fine unto itself; she'd gotten up around 7:00). So I tried to put her down again starting around 3:30, with no success. Same thing at 4, 4:30 and 5. Now, this wouldn't be a huge deal, except that we had plans to go to my IL's house for dinner. So we went, and she was a beast the whole time of course, and finally fell asleep in the car on the way home, which was around 8. So yeah, today my tiny almost-10 month old was awake for 8 hours straight... greensad.gif

#10 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM

So, I got onto "life with a babe" to post about dropping the morning nap and here we are with an already posted discussion about the same thing!  It's amazingly wonderful!  DS will be 10 months on 2.9.11 and wondering how young is too young to drop the nap.  The last week, he's been back to sleeping until 7am once we pushed bedtime from 6:30p to 7p/7:30p (pending when he goes down).  Today, he was up at 6:30a, tried to put him down for am nap at 8:30a and he refused.  Actually, he fell asleep after nursing and laid him in the crib and he woke up as I was creeping out.  Sunday is church at 10:30a...he laid in there for a while and once he started crying, DH rocked him for 15 min and he wouldn't close his eyes.  So, I said no nap this morning as we need to be getting out the door...he's playing contently on the floor and seems fine.  So...I dunno...

DS1: Noah Christopher 4.9.10, 6lbs, 14oz, 20in-And still Nursing!!  

TTC #2

#11 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM

So my DD went from 11:30am to 8pm without a nap yesterday. I think we've officially dropped the 2 naps per day thing. I felt bad, because I actually kind of woke her from her nap at 11:30... we had a lunch date I was really looking forward to as we've been trapped in the house sick most of the week. I was thinking she would then take a nap sometime in the afternoon when we got home, but no dice. she was pretty worn out by 6:30 or so but still refused to conk out until 8pm. Of course, then she slept in until 10 am this morning and wanted to go down just now at 1pm. So who knows what the heck is going on. The sucky thing is that all my mama friends have babies who are still on the two a day routine, so the only time that generally works to get together is after they wake up from their morning naps at 12pm or so. If she is really committed to one nap a day, we will never see anyone. :(

#12 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

14-15 months. It seems to be as long though as both naps combined

#13 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post

So my DD went from 11:30am to 8pm without a nap yesterday. I think we've officially dropped the 2 naps per day thing. I felt bad, because I actually kind of woke her from her nap at 11:30... we had a lunch date I was really looking forward to as we've been trapped in the house sick most of the week. I was thinking she would then take a nap sometime in the afternoon when we got home, but no dice. she was pretty worn out by 6:30 or so but still refused to conk out until 8pm. Of course, then she slept in until 10 am this morning and wanted to go down just now at 1pm. So who knows what the heck is going on. The sucky thing is that all my mama friends have babies who are still on the two a day routine, so the only time that generally works to get together is after they wake up from their morning naps at 12pm or so. If she is really committed to one nap a day, we will never see anyone. :(

You're so lucky that she slept so well last night after having her awake for 8 hours day yesterday. My awake for 8 hours yesterday girl did no such thing. greensad.gif She was up by 5:30 this morning. I am morbidly curious how today will go; like yesterday, she got up from her morning nap around noon.

#14 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM

I think it happened around a year, maybe 14 months.

#15 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I know how you feel.  We had the opposite situation - no afternoon nap and DD was down for the night by 5 p.m.!!!!  I thought she'd be up at 3 in the morning (her "normal" wake-up time lately has been 4 - 4:30 a.m. when going to bed at 6:30), but she actually stayed down until 5 a.m.  I'm beginning to think she might be getting too much nap lengthwise (even with total daytime sleep 2 - 2.5 hours max as it is), but she distinctly still requires two per day.  I don't know how DD would survive with 8 straight hours awake, but I do know she would eventually go to sleep screaming.  I can only imagine what your night was like.  Has Cecilia been pushing her morning nap time later than usual?

#16 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Not at all, which is what made yesterday so hard. It was just too long of a stretch between the end of morning nap, and bedtime.

Thankfully, she is napping right now (it's 4:15ish), so we're not in a repeat of yesterday. I'm hoping that it was just a blip on the radar! redface.gif

#17 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM

My oldest took at least 3 good naps till she was 3.. My current has never really taken more than one thought I've always made it part of our afternoon to lay down with her jsut so she'd atleast slow down a bit in the afternoon.. Anyways up till recently she'd  take a morning nap around 9-10am and sleeep for about 3 hours then I'd lay down with her around 4pm and she'd atleast nurse nap for 15-20 mintues.. LAtely though she is doing the nurse nap the I'll sleep as long as someones holding me and I have nipple in my mouth in the morning but wakes fully as soon as you mave any.. but then is taking a full on her own nap around 2-3pm... Its pushing her bedtime back a bit I was used to putting her to bed around 7pm and lately its been more around 9pm but I'm okay with that its where she is currently.

Deanna 

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#18 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

J is 8.5 months and has only had one nap/day for the last 4 days. I'm hoping this isn't a permanent reduction but I fear that it is.

Previously she would wake at 530am, sleep for an hour or so at 7:30ish then have about 2 hours sleep from around 1-2pm. Then bed between 6:30 and 7:30. Now she has just dropped the first sleep. Which makes it a loooong morning. Although a couple of times she has gone to sleep a little bit earlier for the middle of the day nap. Still not enough for mummy redface.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#19 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 PM

My DS went to one nap around 19 mo smile.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#20 of 29 Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM

My son dropped down to 1 nap around 9 months.

He's 16 months old now and will occasionally take a second nap if he has a really short first nap or if he's not feeling well, but most of the time it's a struggle just to get him down and keep him down for ONE nap.  

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#21 of 29 Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Ds is 10 months old and takes one nap some days, while others he takes two.  I actually prefer the one nap around lunchtime because he naps longer and leaves the morning and afternoon free for other activities with dd, plus he goes to bed at a decent time. When he takes two naps, he will be up much later since he takes a late afternoon nap.  Dd dropped to one nap around the same age, but she also dropped naps altogether around 2.5 years old, so neither of my kids have been great sleepers :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#22 of 29 Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

this was such a pain with my mom friend as well-it will eventually pass though!  It felt like months would go by where we had to somebody had to screw up their nap schedule just to see friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#23 of 29 Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

Not at all, which is what made yesterday so hard. It was just too long of a stretch between the end of morning nap, and bedtime.

Thankfully, she is napping right now (it's 4:15ish), so we're not in a repeat of yesterday. I'm hoping that it was just a blip on the radar! redface.gif

Just when I think I know what's going on and have a routine figured out, she goes and takes three naps yesterday. I better just learn to roll with it...

#24 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM

DS just took one nap Sun and Mon and has been taking two the rest of the week...it was enough to throw me off, but today went down around 9am and slept til 11:15a...we'll see how this throws off the afternoon.  I'm with Cecilia's mama, I also need to learn to roll with it.  :)

DS1: Noah Christopher 4.9.10, 6lbs, 14oz, 20in-And still Nursing!!  

TTC #2

#25 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM

We are still on 3 naps!  DS is 6 1/2 months old and night time is generally 830pm-7am (up every few hours to nurse, sleeps with us), up til about 10am (one hour nap), up for a couple hours then second nap around 2pm (one hour + nap) up again for a few then third nap around 530pm (an hour or 45 mins) then to bed about 830pm.  We are hoping to phase into two naps soon!  Dreaming of longer nighttime stretches and longer naps...biggrinbounce.gif

#26 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Bea's been pulling that 3 nap stunt, too!  I had (embarrassingly enough) gotten sick of struggling to put her to sleep for her morning nap and just started letting her nap in the car.  These darned snow days forced us inside and she doesn't sleep adequately long in bed (assuming I can get her into bed at all!), so I have to work the near-miracle of putting her down THREE times in one day.  Almost makes me wistful for the time when she used to sleep 4 40 minute stretches on my lap like clockwork. 

#27 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Why are these babies so crazy??? lol.gif

#28 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM

The nap thing at our house has gotten horrific--I have spent more time this week trying to get my 9 month old to take his naps than ever (he was a GREAT napper).  Now, he fights the morning nap and then once he does fall asleep (10:30ish) he sleeps for an hour to two and then won't nap again until almost 3 which messes up bedtime.  I'm thinking it's the 2 to 1 nap thing.  BUT, his night time sleep (which was horrible to begin with, got better at 8 months for two weeks and then grew bad again) has been AWFUL.  So, I'm worried that cutting down to one nap would make it worse...but since I'm not sure it could be worse...well I'm thinking we'll be changing things up and trying 1 nap (which he's done on a few different Sundays and on Gymboree days he will not take his afternoon nap, go figure).  I would love to have just one nap a day--one long nap would leave me with a consolidated WAH mama time AND allow for activites in the morning before the nap (by activities I mean time to drive to a coffee shop where he will crawl around and have some hummus whilst I drink a latte whistling.gif) !  

Of course, he's teething (molars) and just learned to crawl 2 weeks ago and REALLY wants to walk (that's on the horizon).  So Gd only knows!  

So, timely discussion!!!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#29 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM

blargh. still in the throes of nap confusion over here. it looked like we were going to make it all the way through with only one nap, then she unexpectedly conked out at 5pm. the morning nap is still happening too early and too short for true one nap conversion i think. but just the fact that it's been about 2 weeks with really random napping (still "easy" to put down, all naps are approx 1.5 hours, just happening at different times) means that we are on our way to something new.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page