I dropped the baby!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 58 Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

I stabbed Felix in the eye with my thumb when he was about four weeks trying to dress him, hard enough to make it bloodshot for a few days.  I think I cried more than he did...

I told my mom and she said once she shut my brother's head in the car door - bruises on both sides of his head!  It happens to everyone.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was trying to show my kidlet how to chew on a frozen washcloth for teething and playfully chomped down on the washcloth--where his hand had just grabbed on.  I bit two of his fingers hard enough to leave tooth marks eat.gif

Yup, cue the wailing.  No permanent damage was done but gosh, I felt AWFUL!  Accidents happen.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#33 of 58 Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM

I've either dropped or allowed to fall....each of mine. It happens. We do our very best to make sure something bad doesn't happen....but the reality is sometimes gravity intervenes despite our very best intentions. Typically, the fall is so much harder on mama than the baby. I hope you can forgive yourself. You are not horrible. Horrible would be not caring that it happened or intentionally allowing it to happen, y/k? 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#34 of 58 Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Been there.  The doorjams, the falling off the bed. I also dropped a SINGLE grain of rice on my 1 week old daughter's leg while she was sleeping peacefully in the sling.  It was not hot enough to burn the inside of my mouth, but it left a second degree burn on her leg by the time I got her out of the sling and figured out what had happened. It scarred too - took a good 6 months before the scar was invisible.  She's 9 months now - we have lots more time to accidentally damage her. Try not to beat yourself up.  I do enjoy these threads though, I laugh as I read them. It's like a confessional. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#35 of 58 Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM

I

Ok; so mine are not from baby-hood - but I once slammed the bathroom door on DD's hand when she was about 3. I was in the shower and she came in to ask me something - I answered her and thought she had ran back out so I reached out and pushed the door so it wouldn't be cold. WHAM! Right on her hand. But this is the best - once when she was about the same age I had told her to wait on the step while I got the stroller from the trunk - I get the stroller and swing it out and - WHAM - right into the side of her head because she had followed me and stood behind me. I felt sooooooooo awful.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#36 of 58 Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

do enjoy these threads though, I laugh as I read them. It's like a confessional. 

Oh gosh thanks for saying that!  I've been wondering how horrible I am for laughing!  I mean, everyone was ok, so it's ok to laugh, right?

Loving mama to A (8/5/2010) R (1/3/2015) and DSD (16).
#37 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM

When my DS was under 2 months, we were in the bathtub and he slipped a little out of my hands, enough to get a face full of water... he was sputtering and then crying - traumatized and scared... so I leaned back to nurse him and then realized he was completely out of the water, so I tried to slide us lower into the water and did the same thing, letting his face in the water and with sputtering and crying so hard again.  I jumped out of the tub and hollered to my partner and tried to explain what happened (through my own tears)... instead of the supportive, "it's okay, he is fine"... i got, "well you gotta try to keep his face out of the water better". Ugh (she was sleep deprived too).  No worries mama.. these things happen!  You are not a horrible mama.  Sending hugs and support!

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#38 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

As you can see, these things happen to all of us.  I smacked DD1's head into a doorway HARD when she was 2 months old, DH had her on his shoulders at 9 months and bashed her into an overhang- awful, awful, awful. When she was 2 I was rushing to protect her from some boiling water and instead knocked her over and gave her a nosebleed.  I remember replaying those moments in my mind over and over and just cringing in disbelief and hugging my baby.  You have to let it go and forgive yourself.  No matter how much you try, you can't be perfect.  It's a part of being a parent.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#39 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Yoy- I was there about three weeks ago.

I was changing the baby, turned my back to get ointment and blam! I felt absolutely horrible and kept eyeing him suspiciously all day for concussion or internal bleeding (I internally catastrophize everything).

I felt horrible and gave him even more hugs and kisses than normal all day.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#40 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM

And this doesn't even begin to touch what their SIBLINGS do to them every day. 

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#41 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post

And this doesn't even begin to touch what their SIBLINGS do to them every day. 

So true! I was changing DS after his bath the other night while wearing DD in a front carry in the Ergo. Suddenly DD started screeching and I couldn't figure out what was wrong...until I looked over and realized DS was savagely pinching her sweet little foot with his excruciating toddler grip. Mom of the Year. bag.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#42 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM

When my kiddo was about 9 moths old, she LOVED being held upside down. I use to do that a lot. She was big, and i"m short, so htankfully, I never had her far from the ground..yep, I dropped her on her head...in front of a bunch of moms at playgroup...who were horrified that i was holding her upside down to begin with...

#43 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll share my "hurt the baby" stories too.  When my oldest was about 8 months she was sitting on the bed right next to me.  I leaned over to tie my shoe and she went sliding down and hit her head on the hard tile floor head first.  I took her to daycare a couple of hours later and left her with explicit instructions that if she acted off, had any brusing, swelling etc to CALL ME!  Dh picked her up as usual. I called him to see if she looked ok and he said she was fine.  Well, I got home around 7pm and the first thing I noticed was a GIANT swollen area on her head!  I flipped the hell out on dh and the babysitter.  I took her to the ER and she had burst a blood vessel between her skin and skull.  It was the size of a large egg.  I felt like the crappiest mother ever.  She is now 9 and is identified as gifted.  Once at a playgroup when her sister was a newborn she was climbing a railing to get me to pick her up. I had my middle daughter in arms and the oldest started to fall.  My friend managed to grab her by the leg in mid air and she was dangling upside down just inches from the concrete. 

When my second baby was a newborn I was at K-Mart and had put the carseat (with her in it) on top the cart.  My oldest daughter started throwing a huge fit and managed to overturn the cart!  The carseat went bouncing to the floor.  Luckily I always made sure the straps were fastened.   At around 4 months I had her in a snguli and was pushing a cart at the store with her older sister in it. I had trouble getting the cart onto the elevator so I was pushing it with my hip.  Her leg was pinned between my hip and the cart handle and I smashed the crap out of it. 

With the youngest I was trying to step over a baby gate and fell with her in my arms.  At a playgroup.  In front of moms who I didn't know.  Another time I shut her foot in the sliding door of a van.  She had a little soft cast for a few days because the couldn't tell if her foot was broken.  When she was nearly two she fell down some stairs. I was right behind her and grabbed at her but she only had a diaper on so I had nothing to grab onto.  My oldest was walking down the steps and I yelled for her to try to stop her but she couldn't.  She fell down 13 steps and landed on the concrete pad below.  Another time I was carrying her out to the car, it was after dark and she was asleep.  I tripped on the sidewalk and fell on her. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#44 of 58 Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

A young (3yrs) family friend dropped me on my head, on concrete, when I was 2 months old.... and I grew up fine... babies are tough! Don't worry : )

#45 of 58 Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM

when my dd1 was about 9 months old she fell off of our bed and hit her face on my nightstand on the way down, which gave her a heck of a shiner.  it took forever to heal -- it looked awful, there was a bloody spot in the white of her eye and it was so swollen.  this pic was at least a couple weeks later, i believe. 

.HPIM0490.JPG

so yeah, you are not a bad mom.  it's hard not to blame yourself, but things like this just happen sometimes.  luckily kids bounce.winky.gif

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#46 of 58 Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
CEG

I think you're required to do something like this at some point.  Anyone who says they haven't is lying :)  When my oldest was 3 weeks old I banged her head on the door jamb on the way out of the pediatrician's office into the waiting room filled with horrified onlookers.  It was tough to make the follow up appt over the sounds of her screams.  She is 6 now and shows no ill effects:)

Also, I dropped my younger brother down the stairs when he was a few weeks old.  He rolled down about 5 steps.  No ill effects for him either (in my defense I was only 9, who lets a nine year old carry the baby up the stairs?)

#47 of 58 Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM

The other day my df sat on the baby.  She was bundled up on the couch and he went to sit down not seeing her there.  You never saw someone jump so high and so quickly!  We laughed together.  She never even woke up.

#48 of 58 Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Let's see ds, in the sling at about 8 months, he was just getting to where he couldn't comfortably fit in a newborn position in the sling, so his head kind fo stuck out of the top, I turned a corner too fast and hit his head on the fdoorframe.  I believe I did that twice. Around the same time the smae thing happened in a grocery store, that time he hit his head on a cart, and it looked so awful that I took him to the ER.

dd, second baby, IO should know the ropes. Her 5th day home from the hospital, she was exactly a week old and I had aid her on the bed, propped VERY slightly by a pillow. I went into the bathroom to pee and left her in there with DP. He started screaming, IU came running, we both caught her just as her head made contact with the floor. Taht was also an ER trip.

dd, 7 months or so, sitting on the bathroom counter, I had one arm sort of around her while I tried to use both hand to put my contacts in without her grabbing them. She lunged off the counter and scraped her face against a rusty toilet paper holder on the way down. In fact I think I posted here about whether she needed a tetanus shot. It just looked bad and I felt so terrible.

ds also fell down a very steep flight of stairs at 1 yr old.

Both of my kids have fallen off of beds and couches.

Both of my kids appear to be normal in spite of us, their parents. ;)

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#49 of 58 Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM

awww :hug: i dropped each of my five kids at least once as newborns and for good measure i hit each of their heads while walking fast around a corner of a wall. every single one of them. just not thinking as i was moving. i felt like a terrible mother each time it happened, but that didnt prevent it happening when the next one came along. none of them were harmed, my oldest dd fell off the change table, the others fell off beds and my second daughter i dropped while trying to learn how to use a sling. she fell right out of it onto the floor. andshe had been boorn with a birth defect to her abdomen and i tell you i was frantic i had ruined her. they were all fine and grewup healthy and normal with no harm caused by the fall. my ped said that babies are really resilient and that they are sort of rubbery and can take a fall okay as long as they dont hit head first and they act normal afterwards, a nice healhty cry after the fall is a good sign my doctor said, i tell you i got those, nice long screams of "how could you" is what i heard in them,

you are a good mama, dont be so hard on yourself :hug:

vs

#50 of 58 Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

A few gems heard over the last few days:

"Mommy, I really, really, really didn't mean to sit on the baby"

"Mommy, look he's playing catch" (as ball is bounced off his head)

"I didn't know he was there, really, really, really"

#51 of 58 Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2974 View Post

A few gems heard over the last few days:

"Mommy, I really, really, really didn't mean to sit on the baby"

"I didn't know he was there, really, really, really"

ROTFLMAO.gifOMG that is so funny .....

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#52 of 58 Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

OMG I laughed so hard I cried.  ROTFLMAO.gif

#53 of 58 Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Quote:

Despite the near constant abuse, he is incredibly happy and adores his big sister.

http://i.picasion.com/pic38/6c367748826185487b2a0954fb4498fe.gif

#54 of 58 Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM

I have to admit I laughed and nearly cried at some of stories. our poor children, what they have to endure.

My own story... I had my DD in her bucket seat at just over 2 months old and I didn't click the carseat into the stroller properly. As I was picking up my DSS from his sports camp, we walked out of the building, and down a slight slope, just enough for the bucket seat to loose balance and make a horrific 270 degreees flip and land on the concrete - baby facing ground. She was buckled in and straps were adjusted properly so she didn't even touch the ground. I was inconsolable- I checked her over and over and she kept crying. I ran back to the building and phoned my husband that I dropped the baby and am taking her to ER. She was fine, not a scratch on her. We never told my parents and MIL :)

Also, we co-sleep, and at least twice she manged to roll of the bed, once - over the wooden footboard. And I too bumped her head into the doorframe and side of the car several times. Horrors! She doesn't hold the grudge though :)

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#55 of 58 Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Quote:

Despite the near constant abuse, he is incredibly happy and adores his big sister.

http://i.picasion.com/pic38/6c367748826185487b2a0954fb4498fe.gif

Aww...they are precious!!! 

I hope you have pictures of them "playing catch" - those will be priceless when they are older!

#56 of 58 Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM

I hope no one takes this as a scare story. When DS was between 7 and 8 weeks old, I tried to step over a baby gate, and my leg got caught. I tripped and landed hard right on top of him. He didn't cry at first and I was too scared to look at him because I didn't want to see my first child dead. My sister examined him, and he started crying, but it was weak and scary. We buckled him into his carseat and had him at the ER in less than ten minutes. By the time we were in the waiting area, he was seeming more normal. They asked me if he had vomited after falling and I said no, so they made us wait for over an hour. He nursed and was closer to normal during that time. When we finally got in, they MRI'd him and he had a skull fracture. We were in the PICU for a few days, and then his head growth had to be monitored throughout the first year of life, but he turned out to be fine. He has hit all of his milestones at the normal times, and his head growth is back up to normal. I still remember all of the hysterical crying I was doing, when a nurse came in and started crying herself. She told me that she had fallen on ice with her newborn and landed on top of her, and the damage was much worse, but she ended up being okay. I thought it was so nice of her to come and try to make me feel better. 

#57 of 58 Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore35 View Post

When my kiddo was about 9 moths old, she LOVED being held upside down. I use to do that a lot. She was big, and i"m short, so htankfully, I never had her far from the ground..yep, I dropped her on her head...in front of a bunch of moms at playgroup...who were horrified that i was holding her upside down to begin with...

omg i've done nearly the same thing. i have stopped hanging her upside down now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genniemom View Post

I hope no one takes this as a scare story. When DS was between 7 and 8 weeks old, I tried to step over a baby gate, and my leg got caught. I tripped and landed hard right on top of him. He didn't cry at first and I was too scared to look at him because I didn't want to see my first child dead. My sister examined him, and he started crying, but it was weak and scary. We buckled him into his carseat and had him at the ER in less than ten minutes. By the time we were in the waiting area, he was seeming more normal. They asked me if he had vomited after falling and I said no, so they made us wait for over an hour. He nursed and was closer to normal during that time. When we finally got in, they MRI'd him and he had a skull fracture. We were in the PICU for a few days, and then his head growth had to be monitored throughout the first year of life, but he turned out to be fine. He has hit all of his milestones at the normal times, and his head growth is back up to normal. I still remember all of the hysterical crying I was doing, when a nurse came in and started crying herself. She told me that she had fallen on ice with her newborn and landed on top of her, and the damage was much worse, but she ended up being okay. I thought it was so nice of her to come and try to make me feel better. 

ACK! so scary! I'm so glad he's ok though. but i think it's a good lesson that in three pages of replies, there was only one person who got seriously damaged, and you knew something was off and took him to the hospital.

#58 of 58 Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM

When ds was about a week old (maybe 2 weeks old) I was sleeping on a couch with him on top of me (bad co-sleeper, I know). I woke up and the baby wasn't on or near me anymore. He had fallen off me and off the couch and was laying on the floor.... sleeping. LOL! He didn't even wake up to cry when he fell lol.gif I've also hit his head on door frames.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page