Mothering Forum banner

Head shaking

857 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mawood 
#1 ·
My 8 month old seems to shake his head quite a lot lately (as if he's saying "no"). He used to do this when he was 6 months, then it stopped for awhile, and now he does it again. We have even made a game of it where he'll shake his head and I'll shake mine in response, and he thinks that's really funny.

DH has a book that says this is normal behavior that is somehow comforting to them. I also looked online and apparently it could be a symptom of ear infection, teething, tiredness / self-soothing, or else it's just normal and will go away on its own.

I am pretty sure he doesn't have an ear infection, although he's definitely teething. He does it at all times, not just when he's tired, so I don't think it's self-soothing.

Does anyone else's baby do this head shaking? Has anyone with an older baby/child seen this go away on its own, and when? What do you think it is?

Thanks!
~PJ

#2 ·
My son did this when he was a baby, it seemed to amuse him which I attributed to the fact that things look different when you shake your head back and forth. It never occurred to me that there might be anything wrong with it. He could just be experimenting with his senses, you know? I don't know when DS stopped, because I wasn't worried about it, but there isn't anything wrong with him and he did eventually stop it when other things captured his attention.

#3 ·
My DS (now 9mo) has done that occasionally too, and I also think that it is out of amusement- just learning to do new things with their bodies and experience different sensations. I wouldn't worry about it unless he is acting sick or it seems out of control and all the time. I vaguely remember my DD (now 4 yo) doing it too- I definitely don't think its anything to worry about.

#5 ·
My nine month old started this two weeks ago. We encourage it because we laugh and shake our heads right back. It never crossed my mind that it might be a problem. She's definitely teething, but it actually started when she was done eating and was telling us no more.

#6 ·
my 9 month old just started this too. He does it when I'm changing his diaper (which he has now decided is torture) and will cry and shake his head "no." It really seems like he is trying to tell me "no" but I don't know where he could have picked it up because me and my DH have never done it to him and don't really even tell him no.

#7 ·
Oh my goodness! I was coming on here to post the same. exact. thing.

I was thinking maybe ear infection? Because she does have a runny nose. But she is also teething... so who knows.

I hope it's just something she has discovered is fun and new. It is so cute when she does it! lol

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm actually not really worried about it, despite having made this thread. I was more looking for confirmation that other babies do this for no apparent reason. If nobody had answered, or several people chimed in to say their baby did this and turned out to have (insert health condition here), then I would call the pediatrician Monday morning. But I agree with the general sentiment that it's kinda cute, makes a fun game, and probably is just another phase of infancy.

#9 ·
Hi PJ

I think it is the enthusiasm about the fact that they can turn their head. Olivia does it too. Sometimes I even think she gets dizzy by it but she loves it and gets excited. It is a phase just like you said
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.