Long and thin vs. short and squat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hi all!  My 10 month old DD has always been the long and narrow type (she's about 17lbs, 29 inches at this point) and we've definitely found that some brands of clothing suit this body type far better than others.  Some brands just never fit her because she's outgrown the length but her little shoulders pop out of the neck.  Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for brands that you've found to be more long and narrow versus short and squat?  Pants aren't so much an issue because the cloth diapers bulk up her bum, but none of her 12 month shirts reach her waist anymore and the legholes of her extended onesies pop out over the top of her pants...

#2 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your title made me LOL!  I have the opposite problem with DD because she comes from a long line of Russian (as DH likes to describe it - potato pickers) and I constantly have problems finding clothes for her body type.  She's not overweight, but she is short and girth wise - and for her age -  of Mary Lou Retton gymnast proportions.  I don't like to promote GAP but I noticed that the company tends to produce clothing for long and lean types of bodies.  DD can't wear any of those clothes, because they are all for taller, stick-thin children.  They have good sales there and at their sister company, Old Navy, so you may find some sizes to work with.  Often I have to buy a size up and then work with the length.  You may be able to buy a size down and still have the length.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#3 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

I have a string bean also and we find Osh Kosh to work for us, as well as GAP. For sleepers, Childrens Place makes great sleepers for skinny babes, I just always have to buy one size ahead. The bonus is that they're really cheap too at around $7-$9 a pair. So at this point, my 16lb 28" 7 month old wears 9-12 month sleepers at the Childrens Place. We also wear GAP sleepers. We use Gerber onsies that are a size too big, I find Carters to be cut a little too wide for him. I agree that Gap seems to be sized right for string beans. I've never had their tops though. Old Navy has good sleepers also, they just tend to not have them in the store.

Also, you might need to move into non-crotch-snap shirts. We love wearing American Apparel tees. Little girls can wear lots of dresses/tunics with leggings under and it doesn't seem to matter if the leggings are a little short or the dress is a little short.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#4 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

The Children's Place and the Carter's stuff that Target sells, the Just One Year/Just One You stuff seem to fit my long and skinny (16 lbs and 27") the best!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

funny...the one thing i have from the children's place is probably the "boxiest" thing we own.  I guess I should give them another try.

Our favorites are probably coccoli brand...but we don't have much because it's quite pricey.  But that's always been his best fit...long and lean.  Our other go-to in hanna andersson sleepers.  organic cotton, $25.  Really nice quality and they fit Jax great.  (The sizing is funky.  Jax is 22 lbs, 9 months...we get the size 70)

#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM

I always find Children's Place stuff a bit on the short side too.........my 3.5 year old  (very tall, thin) has to wear size 5 shirts from there in order for the length to fit. All her size 4 shirts fit width wise but they are belly shirts. For pyjamas I've had the best luck with Carter's and then Old Navy shirts.......as you said, pants are easier because of cloth diaper bum (for babies....not my ODD). My 7 month old is one of the short and squat ones so I'm not all that great at finding long and lean clothes for babies anymore, but know it can be quite the struggle! Although Ainsley is a chunkier one (19 pounds, 26.5 inches)......I've noticed the torso in the Costco sleepers is quite long.  

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM

old navy onesies are way too boxy for my string bean. carter's onesies are the only ones that have ever fit her properly. i find gap to be expensive for basics, but their other clothes tend to fit her well. i don't even bother buying onesies from anywhere else... sleepers i don't mind the fit being off, since they are for lounging and sleeping. i find the shirts with a regular neckline instead of a lapped neck fit her better, since even if the cut is a bit off, at least it's not falling off her body, right?

#8 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Hannah Andersson is really great. Daniel has a bunch of their sleepers because there's an outlet near my parents, but it bothers me that they have no feet coverings. I guess if you live in a warmer climate or you cosleep it might not be an issue, but Daniel sleeps in his own crib without any blankets (he got annoyed with the sleep sack) so I need what he wears to be quite warm. Daniel is 7 months old and has been wearing the size 70 for over a month now because of his length. I don't think Hannah's have ever gotten tight on him before they started getting too short. Overall I do find them to be a good fit and they wear so well, the ones we ha when he was a newborn he wore for months and they barely look worn.

We also wear Carters onsies and I do find them to be a good fit. I think Carters sleepers seem to get narrower at the 9-12month size and beyond. Once they start getting a zipper. The Sleep-and-Play style with the snaps for younger babies are always cut boxy to me. Gymboree seems to be cut nice and long too. Do you have a Gap Outlet near you? Thats where I get a lot of the Gap sleepers since they can be pricey.

#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

Hannah Andersson is really great. Daniel has a bunch of their sleepers because there's an outlet near my parents, but it bothers me that they have no feet coverings. I

I bought the moccasins for my kids to wear with their Hannas. They are very comfortable, and my kids slept in them. They also fit well, while being roomy. They wore them for 2 years!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM

My ds, is a bit long too, and we have the same issues with some clothes. Most Carters fit him pretty well, so does the "faded glory" stuff, have no idea where that comes from as its all hand-me-downs. :/ 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#11 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

Hannah Andersson is really great. Daniel has a bunch of their sleepers because there's an outlet near my parents, but it bothers me that they have no feet coverings. I

I bought the moccasins for my kids to wear with their Hannas. They are very comfortable, and my kids slept in them. They also fit well, while being roomy. They wore them for 2 years!

So we also have the moccasins which are the single most amazing shoe ever invented for the non-walking baby, however, I am annoyed with them at night when I have to change diapers in the middle of the night. I've got to pull off the moccasins, unzip the sleeper, pull out the legs, change the diaper and then reassemble the whole bit. It's kind of a PIA, especially when footies are just a one step sort of deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page