Will "stork bites" go away? Not trying to be superficial... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, when DD was born, she had very dark, almost purple "stork bites" on her forehead, eyelid, and upper lip (note quite a day old, below).

justborn.jpg

I feel like they've faded some, but they're definitely still noticeable at around 4 months. 

cady sleeping.jpg

Anyone else's children have these "close to the surface" capillaries that presented as birthmarks, but then began to fade?  Some days I feel I can hardly see them, others (esp if she's upset) they're clear as day.

Thanks for any feedback.  :-)  I think DD is the most beautiful baby ever, obviously.  I'm mostly just really curious. 

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM

My Cecilia has an "angel kiss" on her left eyelid and a "stork bite" on the back of her neck (they actually go hand in hand, according to my ped, which is interesting!) Anyway, she's 10 months now and they are very much faded. You can only see the eye one in certain lights now. I think it will be totally gone by 1.5 or 2.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

my 10 month old has one on his eyelid and some small patches on his nose. Some times i barely notice them and other times they are very clear. I was told when he was born that they will fade, and they called them stork bites- but they haven't gotten any lighter. They are not as dark as the ones in the op pictures. I think at this point they might just be a birth mark but I guess time will tell.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

My Cecilia has an "angel kiss" on her left eyelid and a "stork bite" on the back of her neck (they actually go hand in hand, according to my ped, which is interesting!) Anyway, she's 10 months now and they are very much faded. You can only see the eye one in certain lights now. I think it will be totally gone by 1.5 or 2.

Cady has them on the back of her neck and head, too!  :-)  Thanks for sharing your experience.  BTW, she is such a cutie-pie in your user pic! 

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Thanks, mama! She's my dream come true. love.gif

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM

When my son was born he had a "stork bite" above his eye.  I asked his doctor when it would go away and he said he would let me know in about 8 or 9 years on it.  Needless to say.  It is still there. 

Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM

DD was peppered with stork bites when she was born.  The worst was on her right eyelid.  It was very purple.  Then she had a streak of them very similar to your DD's that went down her nose and above her lip.  There was even some blemish right under her lip.  She also had one the size of a nickle on the side of her head, covered by hair, and the traditional nape of the neck one.

She was also born with a small red blemish right next to her right ear that over the course of about a month grew to the size of a gumball (compound hemangioma).  This was our main concern.  We were just really thankful that the other marks did not grow like that one.

At 2.5, you would have no idea.  I will always notice, but I don't think anyone else does.  The stork bites might flare when she gets upset, but I am madly in love with each and every one of them, and they are nothing anyone would question.  I love how her nose is always a little bit rosier than the rest of her face.  The hemangioma is almost always covered by her hair now and is much duller, and will be surgically removed when we are ready for that.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Our DD will be 6 months in a week, and she also has the stork bite on the back of her neck and had the angel kiss over the left eye and one on her forehead.  The eye has faded a lot and most of the time doesn't show, but when she gets upset it becomes more obvious, but nothing like the first month or so!  The forehead faded some but is still always there as is the back of the neck.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

IME, they fade.  DD is 5 now and they are almost gone.  She had a bunch of red squares at the nape of her neck, and half of her nose was red when she was born.  They are mostly gone now.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM

My 2 yo DD has a few--forehead, nose, and back of neck. They have faded (especially the forehead and nose) but I can still see them. I'm not sure they are really noticeable to anyone else unless she is upset.

I have one on the back of my neck still--and I'm in my 30's.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
 I will always notice, but I don't think anyone else does.  The stork bites might flare when she gets upset

Same with Cecilia! lol.gif

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM

ds1 had a bright stork bite on the back of his neck when he was a baby. He's 3.5 years now and it's gone. ds2 is 9 months and still has a faded one on his forehead. I think it'll be gone soon.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM

my dd has exactly the same pattern as yours, except she's also got a mark on her nose, and her right eyelid is almost completely red. she is almost 1 and they have not really faded much in my opinion. they're not obvious in photos anymore, but quite clear in person. anyway, we will wait and see. they are very easy to remove... it would be a simple laser treatment by a dermatologist. if they were still there when she gets older and she's not comfortable with them, i would be willing for her to have that done.

it sounds from other pp's like they might be gone by the time she's in school, but it made me feel better when the ped told me how easy they would be to remove if it came to that. maybe it is superficial, but i get it :)

Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM

My dd's are very similar- a big one at the nape of her neck and another right where your dd has hers on her forehead. They have faded, but I can still tell where they are. And yes, they always flare up when she's hot, crying, or upset. Oh yeah, and she's almost seven.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
tzs

we had on the eyelids and at the back of the head. at 16 months the eyelid marks are gone as are the ones on the head....although i thought i noticed it was still a little red patch underneath her hair. 

even at 4 months or so they were pretty faded. i remember a friend of mine calling them her "battle scars" and being bummed they were faded because she looked less tough.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 PM

My seven year old had a set of large jagged ones across his forehead when he was born - my niece always called them his Harry Potter marks since they were shaped like lightning bolts :P

At one, they were still dark. At 3 or 4, they faded a bit except when he cried or was upset. Now you can barely see them if you know what to look for. One day you'll just look at your child in a photo and realize how much they have faded...

-Jan

SAHM to Todd (age 7) and Sean (8 months)

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
 ...it made me feel better when the ped told me how easy they would be to remove if it came to that. maybe it is superficial, but i get it :)

:-)  I'm glad some other mama's "get it."  I guess my biggest concern will be whether she'll be bothered by them if they stick around.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!  Like I said, they already seems to be fading quite a bit, so I'm inclined to think they'll continue to do so.  There's some photos of her where I don't notice them at all anymore (But notice in person, still, for sure).  I am sheepishly admitting that sometimes I airbrush her photos.  Sometimes I worry that makes me a bad, appearance-obsessed mama... but then I remind myself that a pro photog would offer the same service.  :-)

Still, many of her photos I leave alone... I think the "battle scars" (like that term, tzs!) give her a subtle uniqueness that it beautiful (see below, from her 100th day).  I'm mostly just been wondering whether they're likely to stick around... 

Thanks again!!!

100days.jpg

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM

All 3 of my girlies have had stork bites on their foreheads and reaching around to the back of the head, neck and upper back.  DH has it too but his isn't noticeable unless he gets overheated, then it comes out. 

My oldest DD is 7 and hers isn't visible anymore.  My younger two had more pronounced marks and they are faded somewhat but still very visible.  I suspect they will fade somewhat over time but will always be there.  Someone once stopped me when they were babies and told me that they were both marked with a "V" because they would be Victorious.  I'll take it! LOL

Here they are at a couple of days

newbornpayandpipes.jpg

About a year and a half

pipers.jpgpays.jpg

untitled.bmppipers2.bmp

And at 3 1/2 

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Tink79, your girls are absolutely gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing the pics! 

V for Victorious... LOVE IT!  thumb.gif

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM

DSS 10 has one on his forehead right between his eyebrows and one on his neck at the base of his hairline. They were more apparent when he was younger and have now almost completely faded but like other posters, they become very prominent when he's hot or upset.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, they will probably fade but expect it to take a long long time. DS at almost 4 still has visible marks on his face and head.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Ds1 had more of what was a "strawberry" than a stork bite (more red than purple) above one eye and on his nose. His started fading a lot more around 2-3 yrs. Like others said I'd only be able to see it then mainly when he was upset. Now at 5.5 yrs I don't see either of them anymore.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM

My older DD had one at the nape of her neck.  She's 3 1/2 now and it's been gone for a while.  I'm not sure when exactly it disappeared since it's been covered by her hair for a while so I kind of forgot about it.  Then I went to look one day and it was gone.  My little girl has one on her eyelid and I expect it'll fade after a while too.

OP, if your daughter's marks are already fading, I'd think that they'll continue until you don't notice them any more.  My midwife says that most she's seen are completely faded within a few years.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM

DD had them on her eyelids and nape of her enck, and they were mostly gone by 2 (I can see a few ilttle marks on her hairline if I look really hard, in bright light). DS had one on his upper lip, and it was fairly prominent until 18 months or so, and it only shows up now when he cries a lot (he's 2.5). I think it's on its way out.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Both my older brother and I had these marks on our foreheads and the backs of our heads/necks when we were born :) The one on my forhead is completely gone (by the time I was 3 I believe?), but the one on the back of my neck is still there, but it's mostly hidden by my hair, and it's fairly light. You wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out :) The one on my brother's neck is still there as well, and the mark on his forhead only shows up if he gets too hot, or if he's upset or crying :)

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM

wow, great to hear all of these stories, my babies are super normal apparently!

both have eyelid ones and ones at the base of their hairline.  wil keep an eye one them and see how they fade

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

wow, great to hear all of these stories, my babies are super normal apparently!

both have eyelid ones and ones at the base of their hairline.  wil keep an eye one them and see how they fade

Adorkable- congratulations on the birth of your babies!!!! How old are they?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 PM

My 17 yo's have completely faded :-)

Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

Adorkable- congratulations on the birth of your babies!!!! How old are they?

thanks! they are 2 months, but came a month early. everyone is great, birth was a blast!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM

you mean you had fun giving birth? what do you mean a blast? just curious!

User Tag List