I wish I had... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering, for those of you who have BTDT what do you wish you had known or done differently ( OR are glad you did or knew) in the 1st year or so of motherhood? What tools/products were indispensable v. a waste of money? What routines or habits (if any) would have been useful to build right away? What do you wish you had relaxed and let go of? What in retrospect would you have paid more attention to? Some things I have heard from AP moms irl whom I love and trust:

* I wish i had more consistently offered bottles (of bm) so i would have the option of her taking a bottle from DP now.

* I wish I hadn't worked at all for the 1st year

* I wish DP had put DS to bed more regularly as a baby so he would be able to share that responsibility now that DS is a toddler

* I wish I hadn't bought a co-sleeper (never used it, just had the baby in bed)

* I wish I had baby mooned/stayed in bed longer after the birth (and not done too much, hosted guests, gone for long walks with babe in sling etc. right away)

Feel free to dispute any of these :)

TIA!

#2 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I wish I hadn't bought a baby bathtub.  He's two months and our one attempt ended in him spitting up everywhere and me not being able to hold onto the slippery lil dude.  Instead I climb in our big bathtub and we bathe together.  Maybe when he can sit unassisted I'll work on climbing back out.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 AM

I wish I'd encouraged my DH to take more pictures of me with DD rather than shying away from the camera because I felt fat/unattractive after the pregnancy. I wish we'd taken more family photos. Seems so silly that I only have a couple of pictures of DD and I in the hospital because I didn't feel photogenic enough. And in the months following when I was in the process of losing the baby weight, I'd bow out of pictures. I wish I'd been less vain and just jumped on in because no one else cared about my belly bulge and now I can't go back and jump into those moments. 

I wish I hadn't registered for so much junk!

Co-sleeper worked for us as DD always liked her own space at night, so that's just an unpredictable preference of your baby.

DD never took a bottle. I nursed 2.5 years and honestly never missed them. It was difficult, at times, during the first year when she nursed so often, but in the end, DH found lots of other ways to bond. And after 12 months DD took enough solids to tide her over a bit if I needed to go somewhere occasionally for a few hours and would accept a little BM from a cup.

In terms of putting baby to bed, I think it's wonderful if DH can be involved in some way (bath, story, etc.) My DH always did story and would transfer DD from my arms to bed when we stopped co-sleeping. It was great to have him involved from the start so that he gained confidence, as well. During the night, he'd also do some of the diaper changes. When DD gave up nursing to sleep (around 15 months) she readily accepted DH putting her down sometimes. (In fact, now, DH is the primary night soother if DD stirs.)

#4 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post

I'm wondering, for those of you who have BTDT what do you wish you had known or done differently ( OR are glad you did or knew) in the 1st year or so of motherhood? What tools/products were indispensable v. a waste of money? What routines or habits (if any) would have been useful to build right away? What do you wish you had relaxed and let go of? What in retrospect would you have paid more attention to? Some things I have heard from AP moms irl whom I love and trust:

* I wish i had more consistently offered bottles (of bm) so i would have the option of her taking a bottle from DP now.

* I wish I hadn't worked at all for the 1st year

* I wish DP had put DS to bed more regularly as a baby so he would be able to share that responsibility now that DS is a toddler

* I wish I hadn't bought a co-sleeper (never used it, just had the baby in bed)

* I wish I had baby mooned/stayed in bed longer after the birth (and not done too much, hosted guests, gone for long walks with babe in sling etc. right away)

TIA!

Haha I don't wish for anything on your list except maybe the last one.

1. I never offered bottles and that turned out fine. Mostly because the couple of times I tried to pump I hated it. Totally. So it was a fine trade off to not have to pump. However I wasn't working so this obviously won't work for everyone.

2. Loved, loved, loved the co-sleeper. Necessary because I had a C-section and healing was slow.

3. DH was never able to put DS to bed as a baby. We tried and it simply made for miserable baby, miserable DH. Things changed at around 17 months old. Now DH has no problem with the bedtime ritual. And this has gotten even easier for DH since we nightweaned DS.

Things I wish I had done differently:

Not bought the Chicco travel system! It worked great when DS was an infant, but he outgrew the bucket by about 7 months old, and the stroller it came with was terrible without the bucket. Once he outgrew the bucket I bought a decent stroller (a baby jogger citimini) and if we have another LO I can use a bucket with this with a simple conversion kit.

I wish I had discovered slings when DS was younger. We had an Ergo and a mobywrap...and I hated the moby. Hated. The Ergo worked alright when DS was tiny but a ring sling would have been much better.

Things I think I got right:

I never bought any major baby gear (outside of a stroller and diapers) and I have absolutely no regrets there.

Cloth diapers are super easy. Especially prefolds. I know that many folks love their AIOs and pockets but I don't see the need to fuss with all of that.
#5 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM

I wish I had:

• Also gotten more photos of me with Cecilia. I, too, felt fat and unattractive and always shied away. There are only a few pictures of her and I together during this first year.
  • Not bought a baby tub. It was useless. She hated being alone as a tiny babe, so we bathed in the big tub together, and now we shower together.
  • Splurged for professional newborn photos.
  • Insisted harder on a longer babymoon. I wanted two weeks, and I did not get it, and I am still bitter about it now, 10 months later.
  • Used a convertible seat from the start. She hated her bucket seat and I never wanted to carry the damn thing anyway.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#6 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM

I'll start with my unexpected favorites:
- I found our wraps to be the one indispensable baby item (the moby wrap followed by a woven wrap when dd hit about 15 pounds).
- Pre-fold diapers. I worried I would hate them when I saw other (expensive) cloth diaper options, but I love them - they're easy, durable and reliable.
- Cotton sleepwear. I'm including this here because I wish I knew to stock-up on larger size cotton sleepers in summer. We had trouble finding them in winter and our daughter is miserable in synthetics.
- Placenta pills. We encapsulated my placenta (my initial reaction was "ewww, gross!"), but those little pills worked miracles when I was exhausted and felt a teary spell coming postpartum. I felt reinvigorated after taking one.

Stuff I could live without:
- A stroller for the infant seat, or any stroller for that matter. If I could go back I would wait until I needed a stroller, then buy a used one for that purpose. At ten months we have only used the stroller as a portable changing table / seat. It has yet to be used for moving the baby from point a to b.
- An expensive pump, a manual one would have been fine for the amount of pumped milk dd has had.
- A nursery room set (bedding, wall hangings, lamp, etc), we're decorating our room with it just so it gets used.
- Wet bags with a pretty fabric outer layer - they take longer to dry than my diapers! Simple PUL bags work best (and are cheaper).
- Small hooded towels. Dd outgrew them too quickly, just skip straight to the larger ones.

I'm really thankful I have been confident enough to follow my instincts about dd's birth (we switched to a home birth at 36 weeks) and motherhood. For the birth, I was also thankful that I had the tough conversations about visitors with our family in advance (no visitors until we were ready). Taking time to just revel in our new family was awesome!

I'm also thankful that I didn't tell anyone I was in labor. I had early labor contractions five minutes apart for a full week, it would have been awful to keep everyone updated during that time.
#7 of 51 Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

-I am really glad we started ds right out in a co sleeper- now at almost 11 months he is in a sidecarred crib and the bed situation has worked well for us

-I really used my "my brest friend" nursing pillow tons for the first six months or more

- I am glad I used fitted cloth (cotton) diapers

- glad I encouraged (or allowed?!) dh to be as involved as possible with the baby right from the start (but that was also his goodness

- loved using a swing and swaddle in the beginning to get him to sleep for day naps

-glad I spent lots of time on mdc (still do!) and got to get lots of good advice and ask lots of questions- I learned so much here as things came up! It was on MDC that someone told me that when they are small, it can be common for the baby to be ready for their morning nap only one hour after being awake. I never would have figured that one out and it was so helpful in establishing a napping schedule for ds

#8 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:

* I wish i had more consistently offered bottles (of bm) so i would have the option of her taking a bottle from DP now.  This one hasn't been a problem for me. We don't even own a bottle. LOL

* I wish I hadn't worked at all for the 1st year  I haven't worked and I'm very glad.

* I wish DP had put DS to bed more regularly as a baby so he would be able to share that responsibility now that DS is a toddler  Hasn't been an issue for us yet. I *am* glad that DH is able to put J to sleep if she isn't hungry though.

* I wish I hadn't bought a co-sleeper (never used it, just had the baby in bed) Didn't buy a co-sleeper and haven't missed it.

* I wish I had baby mooned/stayed in bed longer after the birth (and not done too much, hosted guests, gone for long walks with babe in sling etc. right away)  I felt really good after J was born but I did take it easy and I'm glad about that. We had just moved so we didn't have heaps of people visiting.

TIA!

The main thing I'm grateful for is discovering natural parenting, by accident while watching a documentary. The things which have been the best for us are co-sleeping, babywearing and BLW (I already planned to BF and use cloth nappies). I was a bit surprised at how much I *love* co-sleeping. 

DH having 6 weeks off after she was born was fantastic. I think it really helped them bond and they have a great relationship. She is equally comfortable and secure with both of us.

Things we needn't have bought

- Ergo. Don't love the Ergo, much prefer the Beco.

- Gypsy Mama wrap. DH likes his but I don't like the fabric, too rough and scratchy. I just got a Neobulle and I like it much more.

Seems like I am one of the few people who like a baby bath. But, we have a long bathroom bench so it was easy to fill and drain and at just the right height. Also we don't have a proper bathtub, just a plunge bath at the bottom of the shower cubicle so maybe that's why.

And, I wish we'd discovered Pop-in nappies sooner. They've become our favourite.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 AM

I wish I had bought a swing.

I wish I had gotten DD used to bottles so my husband could be more involved.

I wish I wouldn't have worried so much about establishing future bad sleep habits at the expense of DD's current quality of sleep.

#10 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM

This might sound trite, but I really just wish I had appreciated it more! I keep reminding myself of that as I am in the midst of mothering our last through her first year. But honestly, it goes by so very fast! With DD, I spent so much time fretting, and being stressed out and tired, researching everything to the last bit, I feel like I missed too much. Then, with DS, I kind of flew through it all, he as a super easy baby and I felt more confident as a second-time mom, it's all a blur. Now, with another reflux-y fussy baby, I'm constantly reminding myself to just relax. To sit and let her sleep in my arms and surf MDC and not worry about the mess...

Now, my real answer is that it's all different with every baby! With my first two, I could have skipped the bucket car seat and travel system. I hated it, and moved to a convertible as soon as it warmed up (they were big winter babies in the midwest). Now, this one, she is teeny, and with two others we're on the go all the time. She has reflux and sleeps well on the angle of the car seat, I'm very glad to have the bucket, and actually just bought the stroller, at 5 months, because I'm actually using it to pop and in and out to school, etc. She likes being wrapped but hates the Ergo. DS liked the Ergo, but was too heavy for the stretchy wraps by just a few months. This baby takes different bottles and paci's than my other two as well. My DD couldn't stand fleece, but this babe sleeps better in warmer pjs. DD#2 and I both love the muslin swaddling blankets and loveys, wish we had gotten those with the first two! And the Moby is indispensable those first few months. The bouncy remains my most commonly used baby container, just for the ease of setting her down for a couple, when I need to grab something. None of my kids have been big on the swing, yet I bought another, that is probably our least used item, aside from the crib (which just holds the broken down pack and play). Working has been a mixed bag for me. Staying home was not a choice, but by about 9 months I enjoy working again. I WOH three days a week and miss my baby terribly. I do wish I could change that. As far as DP being more involved in nighttime routines, we make that adjustment when they nightwean, and he takes over nighttime parenting. For us, this has worked well, and I've never wished he was more involved until then. I love my nights with the baby.

Congrats and best of luck!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#11 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

I think it just varies so much by person and especially by baby............as you can see by the responses!

-contrary to most others, I am so glad my baby takes a bottle, it is a life and sanity saver for me. I really like being able to go do something (today I took my ODD toboganning...YDD was napping) and know DH can look after YDD at home.........huge stress reliever for me.

-like pp said, prefolds diapers.......those were our workhorse diapers and were more reliable then our fancy diapers

-velcro swaddlers, awesome for our tiny houdini

-I think I might have really liked a co-sleeper

-for us a baby bathtub was awesome, didn't have one with my first and liked it this time around

-Moby wrap was a lifesaver for us

-With our first our swing was never used (she hated it) but with our second it came in really handy

-good quality nursing pillow, had a cheap one the first time around and really like the better quality one this time

-giant waterbottle............nursing makes me so thirsty!!

Good luck Mama!

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#12 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Loved my...:  baby bath tub  (we got the whale one they have at target)

Baby K'tan (like a moby wrap but easier)

My double electric medela breast pump

Boba  (similar to ergo, made from 12 mo. and above)

Blog.  We started a blog to keep distant family updated on pregnancy/baby stuff.  It really helped everyone feel closer...and I didn't have to   call each distant relative with updates, but they could still feel in the loop.

Breastflow bottles

Cotton sleepwear.  The fleece made him too sweaty

Breast friend nursing pillow

Didn't like...:  Ring slings  (so uncomfortable because of all the weight on one shoulder)

My bassinet.  (it was okay, but a little too hard.  The crib next to the bed would have been better.

Wish I had...: more family nearby/ more help with housecleaning/ more visitors/relaxed social time with close friends/family

a Beco for the 4-12 month range  

a video monitor

a Blessing way

done a belly cast

made more things for baby, while pregnant

had kept up better on photo albums  (still haven't put an pregnancy or baby pictures in an album)

known about torticollis beforehand.  (I could have spotted it sooner and kept his head from getting flat on one side)

a white noise machine

read Happiest Baby on the Block  (since newborns fall asleep when they get tired, I had no idea that soon after they need a little help falling asleep.  He was crying cause he was tired and I thought it meant he was hungry.  There were several days when he definitely didn't get enough sleep because I had never been told how much they need to sleep and I just figured he would fall asleep if he was tired.)

Taken some artsy newborn photos

an AC adapter charger for my breast pump

started exercise and trying to fix my abdominal separation sooner

maybe looked into placenta pills.  I just thought it was too weird

A good nursing cover.  I had a homemade one from a friend.

Glad I....:  Had my baby take some naps out of my arms.  I have friends now whose baby's will not sleep unless they're being held, cosleeping, or sleeping in the car.  ...and it causes all sort of stresses for them. 

Had my husband help and be involved.  (he wanted to, just glad I didn't deter him)

Went to the chiropractor during pregnancy

Did blood work to check some things before started TTC

#13 of 51 Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM

First and foremost, I wish so so so much that I hadn't wished away the newborn stage.  It was very difficult because DD is/was high needs, and I remember looking forward to when she was more able to function independently. Now she is independent and amazing, and I cannot believe that she was ever a newborn. It makes me sad that I wished away that incredibly special time in her life. So much so that I find myself fantasizing about being pregnant again even though we are definitely not ready for another baby yet. 

Wish we had splurged on newborn and maternity photos. 

Wish I could have stayed home longer than 3 months, but that was not a possibility so I don't dwell on it.

Wish we hadn't spent so much on cloth diapers we never used. (DH is a SAHD and he REALLY didn't want to use cloth - I have no interest in micromanaging the way he parents since he does a wonderful job)

Wish we hadn't bothered to spend the money on a stroller - it has been used twice in 10 months.  I'm sure we will use it someday in the future, but even so, we should have bought it used.

Wish I was better prepared emotionally to deal with a high needs child. I felt woefully inadequate for a long time - I still struggle with this. 

Soooooo glad that we did the research to fully prepare for the birth and knew what we wanted so we didn't get talked into an unnecessary C-Section like ALL of my friends.

Glad we bought nearly all of our baby gear (pack n play, swing, co-sleeper, jumparoo) second-hand since they were only used for a brief time. 

Glad we splurged and bought 4 wraps - I used them all.  Now we still use the ring sling, ergo, and mai-tei. 

Glad we sought extra help with a lactation consultant early on so that our nursing relationship started out right.

Glad we got DD used to bottles fairly early since I WOH and DH had to feed her while I worked when I went back.

Glad we bought both a double electric pump and a nice handheld one - as I said, I WOH and use them both LOTS. Well well worth the investment.

So much more, but baby just woke up!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#14 of 51 Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:

TIA!

This one.

Next time around I will do alot less. I felt so good, I was up doing everything and I think my perineum healed slower because of it.

Next time around, I'm also working toward not having to go back to work after baby is born.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#15 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 AM

I really wish I had had a baby moon. Not even the one week I spent in the hospital due to a c/s was free of being hassled into getting up and running around. Tons of visitors. The day we got home from the hospital we had to go shopping and DP wasn't able to do it alone. A week after we got home, we went to the zoo. Three weeks after birth and he was clamboring for a regular routine at home. That's when I drew the line.  At the time each consession seemed ok. I was euphoric and wanted to share my baby with the world. The weather was beautiful and we wanted to take advantage of it. But it all really burned me out quickly. I never had any time to just relax and do nothing. So I wish I had made my wishes concerning my babymoon more concrete with my DP.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#16 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM

I wish I had hired a mother's helper or at least a house cleaner. I intend to have one or both next time. 

I wish I had discovered Miracle Blankets more than a WEEK before my son learned to roll. 

I wish I still didn't worry about looking "too fat" in photos. 

#17 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think with baby equipment it is sooooo sooo personal, and what works for one family or one baby will not work for the next. You just have to guess what you will need, and learn by trial and error what works for you. Thank god for eBay!!!! We have gotten a lot of used inexpensive stuff there, as well as sold the stuff we didn't end up using, or once he outgrew it.

I wish we'd had professional pregnancy photos taken, as well as newborn ones. We still haven't done it (DS is 8 mo), and I am thinking we may just wait til his first birthday.

Other than that, I kind of wish I'd had a doula, as I ended up with a traumatic cesarean (from a planned home birth), and can't help but wonder how it would've gone differently had I had a doula. Sadly, they barely exist in this corner of the world. I did look into it but I think there are maybe three in this entire city, and I was told that midwives here (we are in Germany) often feel threatened by them and don't like to work with them. nono02.gif If I have another baby I am most definitely getting a doula, even if it means having to travel somewhere else for the birth.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I know there's more. This is a great idea for a thread.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#18 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Things we LOVE:

Swing

Ergo and ring sling

DS's clothes were CHEAP: garage sales, gifted, hand me downs. OMG, until 3.5 months (when he started wearing 9-12 clothes) he grew out of everything sooooo fast. I'm finally getting bored with this round of clothes and he's getting ready to move to 12-18 mo ones. Don't think I spent more than $3-4 on any clothes of his and I'm glad!

Aiden and Anais muslin blankets to swaddle him. 

Robeez socks from Baby Steals. These actually stay on his feet!

Websites: MDC, Baby Steals, Baby Cheapskate.

Bumbo- awesome for DS sitting on the counter and watching me cook. Once he gets stronger, I'll have to stop this I guess:(

Singing all day to my kid. And I don't sing well! He loves it though and I use it to entertain, narrate, and make him happy:)

Going with the flow, loving my babe, realizing he's his own self, accepting his personality and thinking of it all positively. 

Watching my babe sleep. Watching him play. Watching him fuss. Memorizing everything about him and loving every moment.

Things we'll change:

Next babe I'll get a bucket carseat.....

Buy newborn fitted cloth diapers. DS couldn't wear cloth until his cord fell off since they newborn GMD prefolds were too high....

Read the Create Your Own Sleep Plan chapter of The No Cry Sleep Solution for newborns and follow it! 

Buy one of many different kinds of cloth diapers and find my favs that way. 

Realize my babe won't magically sleep through the night simply because he's my babe. Yes, those other sleepless parents DO know what they are doing. Yes, my kid will be the same way;)
Don't buy a crib. Haven't used it yet. Good thing it was bought used. 

Still have visitors on day 1 after having the next babe BUT only let them stay 15-20 minutes.... MUST REMEMBER THIS ONE!!!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#19 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'm loving these responses notes.gif

#20 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 AM

I love this thread!! I've only been a mom for seven weeks, but I already feel like I can contribute.

I am so glad I:

- Have so many second-hand clothes because Caroline has been growing at warp speed, pluse I find worn-in clothes to be so soft and comfy.

- Bought almost everything second-hand, from cloth diapers to baby carriers. I have saved so much money and bought better quality than I could have afforded if I had bought everything new.

- Splurged on maternity photos and newborn photos. Also so glad I dragged my butt out of bed to have a shower and style my hair so I could be in the photos seven days after DD was born. It was hard, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't (DH declined being in the photos because he was so tired) A few examples:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/lizardkween/65-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/lizardkween/17.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/lizardkween/c.jpg

- Had lots of visitors starting on the day she was born. I loved sharing this special time with family and friends, didn't need a whole lot of  "down time", and appreciated the work they did around the house when they came.

- Took prenatal yoga

- Made a point of savouring every minute with my new baby because I know how quickly this time will pass.

- Didn't buy any "equipment" that wasn't handed down to me. My cousin gave me her swings, baby hammock, bouncy chair etc., which is good because baby hates the swing and sleeps in bed with us, so hasn't used the hammock yet.

Things we could have dont without / done differently:

- Would not have had the enormous baby shower that my mom made for me, or rather would have tried to think of a different way to handle the gifts. I have SO MANY things that I don't want/need/use, many of which I actually registered for in the interest of having enough options for people to buy. Silly. My younger brother actually spent $250 on a fancy playpen that we don't need. I really, really hope we get a lot of use out of it in the future, because it was a really special gift from him to his niece.

- Another vote for no baby tub. I've been taking her into the tub with me from day one.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#21 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
mra

I am so glad that:

- I don't mind second hand clothes. I bought a ton of clothes at yard sales and thrift stores. So did my family. My SIL keeps sending our niece's hand-me-downs, too. 

- I also bought a lot of toys and other items at yard sales, including a full size cosleeper for $30! We also bought our crib (which we haven't used) from a friend. Again, my SIL sent a bunch of hand-me-downs to us like a Bumbo, toys, sheets, etc. I think we will consistently get all of our niece's used items as she grows out of them.

- I didn't register for a bunch of useless items. My registry pretty much ran out of stuff before everyone bought something for us. I also decorated Julia's room with hand made crafts (just made a pretty neat mobile over the weekend) , items that were mine (lots of stuff from my classroom, which never looked like a typical classroom) and things I found at thrift stores.

- My husband convinced me to buy a swing, even though I was against it for some reason. Julia loves it. She takes her long morning nap in it and I can get some things done around the house.

- I took a two week babymoon and really didn't do much. My husband was also able to take a week off. I really treasure that time we spent cuddling in bed all together.

- I was able to take a 1.5 year leave from teaching to stay home with Julia.

- I went with prefolds and covers instead of fancy diapers. It didn't cost much compared to what some of my friends have spent. Although there was a period where I had to go through a learning curve to get them to work right!

- I did prenatal yoga and other exercises right up to giving birth. I avoided a lot of the aches and pains that my friends complained about.

- Aden and Anais swaddle blankets - love them! Even better, they were hand-me-downs from a friend.

- I also didn't think I wanted a stroller just yet, but my MIL insisted that she wanted to buy us one. We found a neat stroller online and now I'm glad I have it. I love wearing Julia in the wrap, but it is already in the 80's here and it is just too hot to have her in it if we are outside during the day. We both end up miserable and sweaty. Plus, the sun is so strong that I feel better keeping her in the shade of the stroller rather than messing with hats and sunblock right now.

- Glad I had a doula, a lactation consultant and excellent midwives for support.

Things I'd have done differently:

- I also would have liked to have been in more photos. For the first few weeks, I pretty much wandered around the house topless because my nipples were so sore. Then I sent my husband out to get me a robe and I wore that around. So if I am in a photo, my boobs are also in it! Julia is only 7.5 weeks, so I guess I'll have to keep my clothes on and make sure I'm in more of them in the future.

- I would have made my husband read more about cosleeping, vaccinations, AP, cloth diapering, etc. I have to explain the reason for everything to him. When I make a decision (such as no vitamin K shot or eye goop) he will question my decision even though he never really took the time to do research and discuss it with me even though I give him more than enough information.

- I would have hired someone to come walk the dogs every day for at least the first two weeks. They were going batty with the new baby and not getting their daily walk.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#22 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I wish I had not tried so hard to get my son to nap on his own, and simply enjoyed those months of holding my beautiful sleeping baby, instead of doubting myself and wondering if holding him for naps was the right thing.  He's a fantastic sleeper now, and I would love to have that leisure time to hold my second baby as much as I did with him.  I'm glad I have those memories, and as much as everyone hassled me about holding him "too much", I will never regret it.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#23 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm so glad I got everything second hand except the car seat. Saved us so much money!

I'm so glad I fought to make breastfeeding work.

I'm glad DH bonded so quickly with our son.

I'm glad we went with a convertible seat from the beginning.

I wish I'd waited to tell anyone I was in labor. It lasted three days and two hospital transfers (planned homebirth, first transfer wasn't necessary so we went back home.) We were too distracted with labor to update people and everyone was worried.

I too wish we'd skipped the baby bathtub. DS hated it.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#24 of 51 Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM

I wish I had taken more videos at all the stages. We have some but there are so many more moments I wish we'd captured.

I wish we had gotten professional maternity and newborn photos done but we were so broke then

I wish I haven't bought a crip - it ended up just being clutter (although if anyone ever calls CPS on me I can quickly pull it out)

I wish I didn't feel so pressured to get stuff done and enjoyed snuggle naps more.

I wish I could work part time so that I COULD get stuff done (spend more time with the furry kids without cutting my time with DS).

BUT overall, there are so many things that I feel worked well, and I'm glad I ended up enjoying the first year, being able to stay home for 5 months, and breastfeeding and cosleeping successfully. love.gif

sleepytime.gif
#25 of 51 Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post

. My younger brother actually spent $250 on a fancy playpen that we don't need. I really, really hope we get a lot of use out of it in the future, because it was a really special gift from him to his niece.

I think you will definitely be able to use the playpen. I mean, maybe you wouldn't have bought one yourself but I can see it being a great safe place to pop a mobile baby while you nip to the loo or something. 

Or maybe it could be a toy corral. Is it one of the ones with a gate? You could prop it open and it could be a walk-in toy box.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#26 of 51 Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 AM

If nothing else, my cats sure love sleeping in a pack n' play (probably to get away from a baby who wants to "love" all over them)! lol.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#27 of 51 Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM

I wish I had:

*taken more pictures at the birth

*tried a bottle earlier- DD never took one and I think its because i waited until 3 months to introduce it. Now sometimes I wish she would take a bottle, or even a sippy,

*not bought the stroller with the carseat that could attach. I think I used it once.

*bought the highchair that is also a rocking horse and a toddler table.

*bought a bumbo

*joined MDC while I was still pregnant and could be part of my DDC

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#28 of 51 Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM

I am really glad that I didn't fight co-sleeping.  I hadn't planned on it at all and had bought a crib.  It just felt right the first night and every night since.  I am glad I was able to take 3 months off after the birth, and wish it would have been longer.  I am glad DP took a week off, I wish he had atleast 2 weeks off.

Baby was born in the summer, so we really didn't need any clothes in the beginning.  We had tons of clothes he never wore because he grew so fast.  He has finally slowed down and has been in 6-9 month clothes for a couple of months now.

I wish I had had muslin swaddle blankets in the beginning.

I loved having the baby bouncer and baby swing for places to put him while I went potty or showered.  Now I love my ring sling, beco, and mai tai carriers.

I am glad he will take a bottle of pumped breast milk because I have to work right now.

I am glad I never put him down in that first three months, because he is really hard to hold onto now.

I am really glad I had a homebirth and didn't allow many visitors for the first two weeks. 

I am glad I started reading to him from the start.  He practically begs to be read to now and it calms him at night.

I didn't need:  the crib, hardly any 0-6 month clothes.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg
#29 of 51 Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM

I was just thinking, I wish I had known this... so I thought I would come add it to this thread!

I wish I had known that a newborn (and older babies) could nurse nonstop and it was normal. I re-watched a breastfeeding video over and over in the middle of the night because I was sure something must be wrong since dd nursed constantly. She was doing fine... and my milk came in after about 48 hours.

I wish I had known that sometimes breastfeeding, lack of sleep, life with a babe, attachment parenting, etc. would be difficult! I'm so glad my midwives made sure I had good support systems in place (like a weekly breastfeeding support group) before dd was born. It was so important for me to talk to other mamas going through the same struggles and joys!
#30 of 51 Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Its funny... I've been thinking about this very thing since I'm pregnant with baby 3!

Things I am SO glad I did:

-Home birth - it makes bonding so much easier.

-No vaccines.  The more I know about this, the more glad I am about it.

-The ring sling for baby 2.  She ADORED it and she lived in it for about 10 months.  

-The beco for back carries.  I got a LOT done with her sleeping on my back starting at about 3 months.

-Co sleeping until they were ready to move out of bed.

-Delayed solids.  Baby 2 didn't start solids until she was 10 months old.

-Cloth diapers.  I used all kinds at various ages.  I hate prefolds but they were very practical for those first few months.  When she got bigger, I transitioned to my pockets that I ADORE.  

-Told my kids that they were best friends from the day I found out I was pregnant.  (They are.)  We never ever spoke animosity of any kind over their relationship and when they bicker we say "that's not how you treat your best friend."

Things I am going to do differently with baby 3:

-I don't want nursing to be THE only way they can fall asleep.  For 22 months the only way my daughter could fall asleep was with the breast. I'm not a fan of CIO - I'll never do that - but I want hubby to be able to put baby to bed too.

-I want to introduce a pacifier early.  This is for the car.  Both my kids SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER from the second they got in the car seat until the second they got out EVERY time without fail until they were 14 months old and we turned them around. Hubby is a certified car seat tech so we know very well the benefits of extended rear facing.  We also know the importance of a sane mother driving versus one that is compromised by a screaming baby everywhere she goes.  Literally, everywhere, every time.  It was excruciating.

-I want to introduce a breastmilk bottle early for those rare occasions that I have an opportunity to go out.  With my daughter she refused a bottle and I had to turn down a LOT for the first 10 months (when she started solids).  

-As much as I love my ring sling, I am going to also use the moby and my ergo a lot with baby 3.  

-I think I am going to start transitioning baby into their own bed earlier.  My second was one of those kids that NEEDED to be spread eagle with no covers on and for several months nobody got any sleep.  We let her get in her own bed when she was ready but there was a long time that it was really rough.  

I'm sure I'll have more but this is my preliminary list.  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page