little red pustules on 5 week old face, shoulders, back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I thought at first it was newborn acne because it started on her cheeks, but now it all over her head, neck, shoulders, top of her back, and chest.  The largest ones are on her cheeks but even the bumps on her chest etc look like tiny, tiny pustules...

any ideas? 

I'm thinking reaction to her bath (used new soap), or to the washing detergent, or even the sheets as she sleeps with me on her belly.  She's the second child so she def is getting exposed to many public places, dd1's school etc.  but I thought when babies are fighting a virus the rash starts on the belly, and she does not have any below her boobies.

Thanks so much

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#2 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, the obvious question would be are you sure its not chicken pox?
#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM

DD's baby acne went all over like that. She never had any discomfort and they cleared up by 10 weeks.

Are they like http://wegoodinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/adult-acne.jpg ?

Or like http://www.fastchickenpoxcure.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/chicken-pox-natural-remedies.jpg ?

#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought chicken pox as she doesn't seem to be "sick" just a stuffy nose that she's had for weeks.  And the blisters are tiny, tiny and not angry looking.  I'm thinking they are milia?  or acne...

thanks ladies

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
#5 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM

my dd2's baby acne was all over like that, op.  it was on her chest and upper back as well as her face and neck.  it's cleared up now -- took maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#6 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 PM

My ped cited a new study saying that newborn acne is actually a colonization of yeast cells and can be cured by a topical anti-fungal.  Just a thought.  Good luck and good luck some more.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#7 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM

If it's yeast, I'd start taking a probiotic complex and reducing sugar in your diet. Yeast can ruin developing enamel. It can also, sooner, make nursing painful and itchy.

Ugh I hate yeast sooo much.

#8 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

huh- that's interesting... I have increased my coffee intake a little bit right around the time the spots showed up... but I also noticed that her sweat glands def have kicked into gear. so a little toxins, a little shine, voila! pimples!

#9 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 PM

my kids' baby acne spread in a similar pattern. Even if baby acne *is* due to yeast (which is a normally occurring substance in the body...), it resolves so quickly on its own (a matter of weeks, really) that I'm not sure I'd make myself crazy trying an elimination diet over this. I'm also not sure I'd go to pharmaceuticals for help. I never noticed any increased fussiness in my kids during this time so I honestly never gave it a second thought once I knew what it was.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#10 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Sounds like how my little ones excema started.  We are seeing a naturopathic doctor for it now as I don't want to do steroids on my precious babe.  His cheeks were always worse and then some spots on his arms too.  On bad days we see a lot on his back and chest and legs as well...some days it seems to fade... we are using a homeopathic remedy, a probiotic and Barleans omegas...pomegranite blueberry because its so high in omega 6's.  We have seen a difference though we've only done this for two months...oh, and applying coconut and/or sesame oil to the worse areas.  Hopefully yours isn't such a long term problem....good luck!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page