5mo crying and crying, HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He's been sleeping really poorly the last few nights, coughing in his sleep (sounds like he's choking on spit or something), waking up crying, needing to be bounced back to sleep as opposed to just nursed.

This morning he was cheerful when he woke up, but about half an hour later he started whimpering and since then he's just seemed like he's in pain.  Usually either whimpering, crying, or screaming.  It's just heartbreaking.  He doesn't want anything in his mouth.  I thought it might be teething, so I tried a cold washcloth, but he didn't want it, and he doesn't seem to want to nurse (he holds his mouth open around my nipple), although he will if I'm having a letdown and it seems to console him for a few seconds to a minute at a time before he pops off wailing.  He also has a goopy eye, which we have prescription eyedrops for, but I haven't given them to him because I want to give warm wet washcloths and breastmilk a chance to clear it up before I break out the big guns.  The doc didn't see any sign of anything else wrong with him when we took him in for that, which was Tuesday.  I wonder if he picked up something nasty from the Dr's office.  His temp in his armpit is 99 degrees f.

I don't know whether to just keep holding/rocking/nursing/loving him or if I should be giving him some kind of medicine or taking him to the ER or what?

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#2 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Sorry your little guy is sick. :( It sounds like he has caught a cold. Have you tried using a humidifier at night?

99 under the arm isn't that high of a temperature, especially since he has a cold. But if it were me, I'd probably call my ped's 24 hour nurse line to consult. If he's screaming, he's definitely in pain. He may have developed an ear infection from the cold.

I hope your little guy feels better soon. It's awful when they're sick.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#3 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Sounds like it could be an ear infection.  Esp. if he's been coughing and snotty at all.  Ear infections hurt more when they lie flat, so if it is one, elevate his sleeping area so he is a bit propped up.  For us, we used a crib as a sidecar, and would put an old flat pillow, or a towel folded up under the head of their mattress.

Do you have an otoscope?  One of the best investments a mama can make, imo.  At least you can see if it's red or if the eardrum is bulging.  Your ped. can show you how to use it.

I would start using garlic oil or mullien if you have it.  It certainly won't hurt *be sure to warm it on a warm but not hot spoon before putting it in the ears.  Cold oil will be very uncomfortable.  Too hot will hurt, so be careful and test on your wrist.*  Also, a warm rice sock can help w/the pain of an earache if he will tolerate it.

Garlic oil is very easy to make.  Just take a T of olive oil and add one clove of fresh garlic, slightly smashed to release oils.  Warm it up for about 30 seconds in a pan.  Then I use it and leave the garlic in the rest of the oil until I use all the oil.

You can give him a dose of infant Tylenol or Advil if you have it.  Ear aches HURT!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 PM

I don't give ibuprofen a lot, but the times that I do give it are when Cecilia is clearly miserable and the usual remedies of teething gel, cold teethers, a bath, and extra snuggles don't do the trick. Good luck, mama!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!  Shortly after I posted this, he fell asleep and whimpered and nursed while sleeping for over 3 hours.  Now he's awake and cheerful as all get out!  shrug.gif  Here's hoping it's over now.  

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page