Any advice for longer naps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 7 months and we have tried many different things to get her to nap longer, but mostly they fail.  She tends to sleep 30 minute naps and then wakes up totally happy, wanting to play.  We've tried going in and trying to help her through the sleep cycle transition, we've tried letting her be to see what happens on her own.  The most success I have is when I go in when I hear her at about 30 minutes and rock/bounce her for the next 15-20. Then sometimes she will sleep for 1 1/2 to 3 hours.  But that is unpredictable.  Sometimes she won't go back at all.

Any advice, maybe something we haven't tried?...

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#2 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM

At around 9 months old, we set up a floor bed in a babyproofed zone so that I could snuggle next to her or sit next to her and read a book.  For us the key was to get in there and put a hand on her back *before* she began to stir at the 30 minute mark.  So, go in with a book, sit for 10 minutes or so, replace pacifier if applicable, rest a hand on baby's back, and see if that helps.  We got 90 minute naps this way.  Now that she's older they're nearly 2 hours long and she does not generally require resettling (unless the dog barks or something).  Good luck!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Does she hate being swaddled? Swaddling really helps Cecilia stay asleep longer. What about motion/swing/baby hammock?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

We could get DD to nap through the transition occasionally with either movement (car or stroller ride) or simply having her nap on my lap.  Otherwise, there came some magical age (6 - 7 months, I think) where she just started being able to sleep longer on her own.   It sounds like your LO gets down for her naps pretty easily, so I'd say that if she's truly waking up happy after 30 minutes, skip the effort of trying to keep her asleep longer and just put her down for catnaps whenever she needs them.  I learned long ago with my little nap-fighter that trying to get her to do something she's not inclined to do is like going up the down elevator - an awful lot more work for the same result.  Oh, one more thing:  At some point recently I started letting DD nap in the car and would drive a few laps when she started to wake up.  She slept for WAY longer than she ever sleeps in bed-naps.  I was so proud that she was finally getting "enough" nap.....and then she started waking up for hours in the middle of the night.  Whoops. 

#5 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify... we did try the approach of going in BEFORE her 30 minute wake up.  It didn't help.  She was swaddled until 6 months, but then I felt pretty strongly about transitioning her out of the swaddle so she could learn to sleep without it.

Other thoughts??

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#6 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

At around 9 months old, we set up a floor bed in a babyproofed zone so that I could snuggle next to her or sit next to her and read a book.  For us the key was to get in there and put a hand on her back *before* she began to stir at the 30 minute mark.  So, go in with a book, sit for 10 minutes or so, replace pacifier if applicable, rest a hand on baby's back, and see if that helps.  We got 90 minute naps this way.  Now that she's older they're nearly 2 hours long and she does not generally require resettling (unless the dog barks or something).  Good luck!

Oooh, this sounds like a good idea. We also have a catnapper, never more than 30 minutes unless he's sleeping on me, then sometimes, only sometimes, he will sleep for a full hour but never more. I have tried several times to go in and transition him to another cycle (a la Pantley) but it only worked once...or maybe I don't have the patience, IDK. But he does already have a floor bed, and I suppose I could just set up a little book light and read or something, I may just give this another go.

On the other hand, I agree with Lizzy that sometimes it just isn't worth the frustration that ensues when it doesn't work. Overall I feel Max is getting enough sleep and it kind of works for us, insofar as I've gotten used to it.

But man oh man would it be nice to have 1 hour naps. 2 hours seems like a fantasy beyond attainment, but a girl can dream, lol.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#7 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Reswaddling might help.

My babies are swaddled until they break out of it, hand me the blanket, and say, "no more, Mama".  Just kidding, but barely.  winky.gif  The older boys (that were swaddled until 12 and 15 months respectively) have no problem sleeping without it now.  But, for that first year, it was a big help. 

#8 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM

My 10 month old is still happily swaddled. No plans to stop it anytime soon!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#9 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM

We transitioned our son to a Peke Moe at about 17 weeks because he started rolling and wanting his hands and he LOVES it. He gets excited to have me put it on! (He's now 20 weeks.) It has extended his naps a bit, though we do have at least one 30-45 min one per day. Sometimes I can catch him almost waking and pat him under again, but not often. 

#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

But man oh man would it be nice to have 1 hour naps. 2 hours seems like a fantasy beyond attainment, but a girl can dream, lol.

Keep the hope alive, P.J.!  My former catnapper started taking 2.5 hour naps at some point, comopletely on her own!  She now regularly takes longer (1.5 - 2.5 hour) naps, IF I can get her to sleep (and that's a BIG if these days!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page