OK, ladies. I need some nap inspiration. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Y'all have helped me with my impossible napper in the past.  I'm hoping you can help me again.  Here's the scoop:

DD is now approaching 11 months old and has recently gone through a sort of sleep revolution wherein absolutely none of our old going-to-sleep tricks work for her anymore.  Somehow I always get her to sleep fairly easily at night.  We have a little routine, and then....I'm not even sure how we do it.  Sometimes she makes it right from bottle to bed.  Sometimes she needs some rocking after the bottle.  Sometimes she takes some time flopping around on the bed and coming to me to be rocked in between until she falls asleep.  Sometimes I can sing her to sleep on the bed.  Suffice it to say, there's no go to method.  It's just that the pull of nighttime takes her over. 

BUT.  There is no similar pull during the day.  Oh, yes, she gets tired and needs the nap, but there's not the same destiny about it, and without a real method of lulling this baby to sleep, we are totally lost unless I pop her in the car.  I've been trying to develop a nap routine to help set the stage for sleep, but it's rather difficult because I can never get DD to sleep at the end of the new routine.  So...it's not really a nap routine if she doesn't nap at the end. 

What I need, I guess is suggestions for lulling a very high-wired older baby to sleep.  What haven't I tried that might work???  We used to always bottle to sleep, but now she just treats the bottle as the nap and pops right awake at the end.  We used to do rocking/bouncing to sleep while I sang to her, but now she struggles against me while I do that and I really don't want to force her.  If I leave her in her room by her self, she cries for me and I go get her.  If I lie down with her on the bed, she crawls around and plays and plays and plays and eventually gets really mad that I won't let her off the bed.  If I wear her, she gets really eye-rubby, but then can't fall asleep and gets frustrated. 

It's really important to me that whatever method we choose is NO stress.  I don't want to have to train her into anything because this does NOT work for us.  In the past we've had a lot of stress over naps, and while I am willing to work hard to get her napping, I am not willing to endure her crying a lot during the process.  Maybe I'm asking for too much...but I really need an option for getting this little girl to sleep somewhere other than the car. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page