Flying with a 10 month old...questions. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this topic has been discussed before, but searching through old threads, I still had a few questions that weren't answered.  I haven't flown in 17 years. I'll be flying Southwest with my 10 month old son two weeks from now. I know some of my questions might seem silly, bot I just want to make sure I have everything covered. We don't have to switch planes going or coming, but there are a few stops.  I'll be carrying him in my Ergo and will probably take a smallish backpack with the items we need for the actual flight.

Here are some of my questions:

Does the Ergo count as one of my carry-ons?

Will I need to remove the Ergo (or him from it) to go through security?

What's the best way to go about changing his diaper on the plane?  (looking for tips or tricks here)

Can I bring a tube of diaper cream on the plane?  (I know they have limits on liquids and gels)

Also, I'm looking for any advice in general about flying with a little one.  Tips, tricks, and things you wish you would have known before flying are greatly appreciated! 

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#2 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've flown I think 7 times with DS, now almost 9 mo. This is based on our experience, but results may vary depending where you are.

The Ergo does not count as carry on, and they will make you take it off at security, as well as for take off and landing. You may bring diaper cream if the tube is less than 100ml.

As for diaper change, most flights I was on (including Southwest) had a little flip down changing table in the toilet. One flight I was on didn't, though, so I had to lay him down on the floor near the bathroom...yuk! Good thing I had a little fold-up changing mat....definitely bring one in case your planes don't have a changing table.

Other than that, our baby was easy flying, because it was all new, different and exciting. He loved going up and down the aisle (in our arms) and looking at all the faces and flirting with the flight attendants. I also packed the diaper bag chock full of toys (some new ones for variety and holding his attention), and for a baby that age bring some snacks.

Also, you might want to nurse for take off and landing, as sucking will help alleviate the pressure in his head.

GL!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I've never flown with Daniel yet, but a friend told me that for some reason, her babies always get blowouts on the plane, so make sur eyou have plenty of diapers and a few changes of clothes just in case that happens to you. She likes to dress her babies with a Gerber onesie underneith the clothes so that she can just throw away the bottom layer if necessary.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#4 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Its the presssure changes that can cause the blowouts...Ever notice you um..ahem..have gas after you land?  Same kinda thing but you have way more bowel control as an adult then the wee one does. Pardon if tmi.

Yes, have a changing mat and extra supplies including snacks.  They will also give you a plastic cup with a lid of water or juice if he can use a straw if you want.

I second nursing during take off an landing..definitely helps.

#5 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you think you might have a blowout problem you can also use a cloth diaper cover.  I bought a few along when I flew with my then 2 month old DS.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#6 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 PM

security.jpg

Just took our first flight from DC to Portland on American.  Had layover both ways in Dallas.  On three of the four legs we were allowed on first.  For some reason Dallas to DC we had to board with the group we were assigned.  Really lucky that even though when I bought the tickets we only had seats together on one of the legs at the gate we got seats together for two legs an one of them we just switched with someone.  Grace is only 2 months so it was pretty easy.  She slept the whole time.  No blowouts.  Changed once in the seats as everyone was deplaning, once in the restroom with the fold down changing table and once just on the seats in the waiting area.  She had to be taken out of her moby through security.  On the other side I didn't know where to put her as I put it back on but my coat was in a bin so I just laid her on it for the humorous photo op.

We brought a car seat for transportation to and from the airport and at our destination it was nice that they didn't charge for checking it with the rest of the luggage.  Southwest doesn't charge at all, so that wouldn't matter.  I think a diaper bag is actually an allowable extra carry on item too.  I have several upcoming trips that involve flying and I realized this will probably be the easiest one for a while.  Have a great trip!

#7 of 8 Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM

That photo made me laugh because I had to do the exact same thing a few weeks ago when I flew back from Ireland with my then 2 month old.  It took me a while to get everything sorted out and he just hung out in the bin.  I got a few funny looks but it was pretty convenient.

#8 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just returned from flying w/ my almost 12 month old.

I wore the ergo and it was perfect for traveling. Answers to your questions:

Ergo does not count as a carry on, and in fact a carry on (small luggage) and "diaper bag" (backback) should be OK.

Yes you do need to remove the ergo and baby when going through security. (even if she is sleeping,,,,:().  We were given the option of walking through w/ baby in ergo and then get patted down or remove ergo and baby and walk through. We/they requested we remove baby jacket and booties too.

A small bottle of ointment is ok (should fit in a small ziplock bag)... which they prefer you to remove from your carryon and send through security. If you bring a bottle of water make sure you remove it from your carry-on. (we left the bottle in the carryon and had to get patted down and searched - they didnt have an issue with the bottle, just that it needed to be tested, but since it was left in the carryon, they had to test everything in the carryon).

There is a changing table in the bathroom on the plane (at least the one we were on (we flew AA), when I needed to change her)

The more co-operative you can be, the smoother it is.

When my son was a baby, he fell asleep during takeoff, the noise of the engine lulled him to sleep. With my daughter, no way! She was wide eyed, looking at everything and could not relax to fall asleep. A small blanket to shield her eyes / block her view from everything helped a bit.  We were also on a 3.5 hour boat commute and that didn't even rock her to sleep. The only way that she would fall a sleep was to walk up and down the aisle in the Ergo (ergo w/ its head shield is awesome for this),

I was grateful that I had some kind of snack (like cheerios) she could nibble on, as a distraction / something for her to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post

I know this topic has been discussed before, but searching through old threads, I still had a few questions that weren't answered.  I haven't flown in 17 years. I'll be flying Southwest with my 10 month old son two weeks from now. I know some of my questions might seem silly, bot I just want to make sure I have everything covered. We don't have to switch planes going or coming, but there are a few stops.  I'll be carrying him in my Ergo and will probably take a smallish backpack with the items we need for the actual flight.

Here are some of my questions:

Does the Ergo count as one of my carry-ons?

Will I need to remove the Ergo (or him from it) to go through security?

What's the best way to go about changing his diaper on the plane?  (looking for tips or tricks here)

Can I bring a tube of diaper cream on the plane?  (I know they have limits on liquids and gels)

Also, I'm looking for any advice in general about flying with a little one.  Tips, tricks, and things you wish you would have known before flying are greatly appreciated! 

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page