Teething Three-Month-Old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is three months old.  For the past two weeks, he has had congestion and a cough on and off.  I don't suspect it is a cold - he just doesn't seem sick.  I think it might be teething (he has also been chewing on his hands and drooling).

I want to help him (especially since he hasn't been sleeping well).  Is there anything i can do for him at this age?  I don't want to give him tyelenol - especially since tyelenol wouldn't help the congestion.  I aspirate him, which provides minimal relief.  I BF him, diffuse eucalyptus essential oils in our home, and I've elevated two legs of his bassinet so he sleeps on an incline.  Any more ideas?

#2 of 3 Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Well, first off, drool production and hand chewing both seem to increase between 6-12 weeks for every baby I've ever been around. You still might not see any teeth for months. I was sure Cecilia was teething around 2.5 months and she didn't get her first one 'til after 6 months.

You can try steaming up your bathroom with a hot shower running and hanging out with him in there. The hot steam should help ease his congestion, and you can suck it out with the snot sucker afterward.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 3 Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Oh good idea about the steam!

My 1st son starting "teething" around 3 mths too but didn't get his first tooth until 5.5 mths.  My current son is now 3mths as well, and while he drools a bit and sucks on his hands, I don't think he's teething.  My older son would get runny noses and mild fevers while teething, so its possible your son is too.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page