Do you give your baby teething biscuits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a box of Earth's Best biscuits someone gave me. DD is 10 months and hasn't had wheat yet. She had oats once, but everything else has been bits of fruit, or veg. My other babies had no interest in food till about 1 yr, so they just went to straight food. This one is crawling around the kitchen trying to eat every crumb and speck she can find.

Is it too early to give a 10 month old one of these things?

#2 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't, both because of the wheat and because those things are really hard! Too hard for my 10 month old!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I've made my own but only to take to Mother's Group because J is forever trying to swipe them off the other babies.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have no problem with wheat, my baby eats bread all the time and has no problem and we don't delay any foods other than those that are proven to be poisonous to babies (honey, regular milk, etc.). I have a problem with the amount of sugar in them. They have three different kinds of sugar, last time I checked, and I am really careful about what kind of sweet things I give Daniel that aren't naturally sweet such as fruit. I use the reference "1g sugar per 25 calories" as my guide generally, and I believe they exceed that. That being said, I have them in my diaper bag and I have pulled them out when I needed him to sit quietly and do something while I eat lunch with a friend. He loves them (he's had them probably 3 times in his life) and since he has no teeth, he just sucks on them and gums them. They are quite hard, but they don't make crumbs, they're made to stay in one chunk and the baby just gnaws at it. I've never thought of it as a chocking hazard. He can sit there and suck on one of those for about an hour and that can be handy sometimes. But like I said, the sugar content is too high for me to give him on a more regular basis.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#5 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Earth's Best makes a barley teething biscuit, too, if you're concerned about the wheat.  I bought them for DD at about 10 months, and we both hated them.  They're kind of like a carb lollipop.  It gets all goopy and smooshy and disgusting, and I don't think DD really liked the flavor very much. It doesn't sound like you really want to use them for teething, but as a food.  I suggest Baby Mum-Mum as an alternative - kind of like a puffy rice cracker, flavored or plain.  If you already have a box of the Earth's Best biscuits, I definitely don't think it's too early to give them a try.  I just think they're gross :)

#6 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM

We like old school zwieback around here. Mom likes them too, lol. 

#7 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
"proven to be poisonous to babies (honey, regular milk, etc.)"

Neither one of those foods is "poisonous" to babies. Whole milk is totally acceptable for any child who has started on solids and hasn't otherwise shown signs of a dairy allergy. The issue with honey is botulism, not the honey itself, and not everyone agrees on what age it should be given.

OP, I gave them to my older children and they were good with them but they are messy. They are really for gumming on and most of it doesn't get eaten, just turns back into a mushy mess. We are GF now so I can't do them with my youngest, but yeah I am totally fine with them otherwise. There are also barley/oat ones that have no wheat (but still gluten) if you are concerned about that.

#8 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Earth's Best makes a barley teething biscuit, too, if you're concerned about the wheat.  I bought them for DD at about 10 months, and we both hated them.  They're kind of like a carb lollipop.  It gets all goopy and smooshy and disgusting, and I don't think DD really liked the flavor very much. It doesn't sound like you really want to use them for teething, but as a food. 

I was thinking it would give her something to do vs crawling around like a puppy and trying to eat the other kid's falling crumbs.

I vacuum 1-2 times every day, but she constantly finds things and gets so upset. This is all she wants to do all day.

My babies did this sometimes, but it wasn't their life mission.

I don't remember when my other ones had wheat. I remember baking cracker/ cookie things for them but they were much older.

I'm looking for something easy but not gross like those mesh things. All I do now is plop sloppy stuff like squash. potatoes, avocado, broccoli on her tray and she rubs it all around.

It keeps her busy but she barely eats anything and it's a complete bath situation. 

#9 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM

When my first DD was teething and eating some solids, I gave her a teething biscuit. A chunk broke off and she choked on it - a real choke, not a "get stuck and I can cough it out by myself" choke. Maybe they work great normally, but I've never used them again... 

#10 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM

The aforementioned Baby Mum Mums might be a good choice for you. They're rice rusks. They do have a bit of sugar in them, but not a lot.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#11 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM

No, I don't.  We hold off on grains until the 1 year molars are in.  

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#12 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 PM

We use these. Got them at Whole Foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Times-Premium-Teething-Buscuits/dp/B000LKTSO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1298607568&sr=1-3

No wheat, soy or dairy and they use maple syrup as a sweetner.

DD likes them ok. They're not her favorite thing to eat, but they break up nicely.

She mostly carries it around with her and sucks on it every now and again :)

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#13 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 PM

We are also old school zwieback fans. But it does get yucky. What Fritz also likes is to gnaw on a piece of cold celery. He doesn't  have any teeth yet so he hasn't been able to bite anything off yet, but it still tastes like something other than plastic and satisfies his urge to bite.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#14 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

We (=DD) are HUGE fans of puffed wheat w/cinnamon in this house for a non-messy quick snack.  Plain, unsalted rice cakes, too.

#15 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM

I think you only give those when baby is very young, and has no teeth.  Now that she has teeth she could bite a piece off.  Babies are supposed to maul and slobber all over those, not actually chew them.

#16 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Earth's Best teething biscuits scare me because they break off in big chuncks in my son's mouth. My friend said the same thing.

I am a married, working, first-time mother to Max who entered this world on May Day 2010.
My liberal arts education led me to natural parenting. treehugger.gif

#17 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input. I just gave the box of cookies to my older kids.

I'm glad I didnt waste the cookies, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not sure if they are ok for little babies.

#18 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 AM

SIL gave us a box of vanilla teething biscuits.  DS (11 m.o. today!) didn't much care for them, but DH and I eat them and think they are delicious.  When we tried to give them to DS, he sort of worked on it, but it looked like a chocolate Frosty or something running out of his mouth.  It was kind of gross.  Plus, he has teeth and is able to bite off chunks without too much effort.  He does like Triscuits and Oatios, thought.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#19 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

I think you only give those when baby is very young, and has no teeth.  Now that she has teeth she could bite a piece off.  Babies are supposed to maul and slobber all over those, not actually chew them.

This makes a lot of sense actually. I haven't bought any yet, but was thinking of it. Max has five teeth, and I could also see him breaking it with this hands. So I think we'll skip the biscuits for now.

He likes to chew on (and before the teeth came gum on) cucumber sticks. They're cool and soft and perfect for teething!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#20 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Ditto on the choking.  Those things scare me.  DS now 8 (fortunately!) choked on them more than once.  He would suck on it until a big chunk broke off which would be all gummy.  It happened to a friends child as well. 

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page