White noise maker recommendations - Mothering Forums
Life With a Baby > White noise maker recommendations
lucy_v's Avatar lucy_v 09:02 AM 02-27-2011
I'm looking for a white noise machine to use in/outside of DD's room. We're using our humidifier right now, and it helps a lot, but soon we won't need to run it when the weather warms up. I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMate-980A-Electro-Mechanical-Conditioner/dp/B000KUHFGM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1DXCXKHZSQ1DX&colid=3T0YP076BAY1U

Any experience with that product, or other recommendations?

Knitting Mama 09:32 AM 02-27-2011

We use the Cloud B Sleep Sheep. It shuts off automatically after 45 minutes. Cecilia seems to sleep best with the "Spring Showers" setting. smile.gif

LittleBirdy's Avatar LittleBirdy 11:11 AM 02-27-2011

We use the Baby Sound Spa.  It has several different sounds, can run on a timer or just continuously.  DS likes "rain" :)

Adaline'sMama's Avatar Adaline'sMama 12:09 PM 02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

We use the Cloud B Sleep Sheep. It shuts off automatically after 45 minutes. Cecilia seems to sleep best with the "Spring Showers" setting. smile.gif

We use this too. We also have a Cloud B Giraffe.

lucy_v's Avatar lucy_v 03:32 PM 02-27-2011
Thanks, mamas. We have the Sleep Sheep, but it doesn't really help DD. She needs something louder and more constant. The white noise from the humidifier is perfect, it's just not something we can leave running all year. Does the Homedics machine have a white noise option?
eleonrauis's Avatar eleonrauis 05:19 PM 02-27-2011

http://www.amazon.com/Homedics-SS-4500-SoundSpa-Classic-Silver/dp/B000QTQSQU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1298852171&sr=8-6

I have something very similar to this Homedics alarm clock.  The waterfall setting is pretty solid white noise and it can be turned up loud, way louder than I would ever need it at night.

mra's Avatar mra 07:55 AM 02-28-2011

Not sure if you have an iPhone, but you can buy a white noise app on that for $2.99 (I think) and then plug your iPhone into speakers. 

McGucks's Avatar McGucks 09:35 AM 02-28-2011

Guess I am the low-rent representative on this issue...I use a fan I found in a lost and found where I used to work.  It does just fine!

Laurski's Avatar Laurski 02:28 PM 02-28-2011

I used Garage Band on my Mac to record a few minutes of my hair dryer.  Then I looped it so it was an hour long, uploaded it to iTunes, then put it on continuous play on my iPod.

Sounds complicated, but it's really easy; I had never used Garage Band before and with a little help from my good pal Google, I was able to figure it out.  If you have a computer that will record sound, a way to turn the sound to an mp3, and an mp3 player, you can make your own white noise!

beckington's Avatar beckington 02:38 PM 02-28-2011

We use the radio tuned between channels to static. Works great, esp since we leave it running all night. Strangely I don't mind the sound. With my first ds we recorded the vacuum running and my dh edited to be a loop for 60 minutes and then we burnt it onto a CD.

memz's Avatar memz 01:03 PM 03-01-2011

We just use a fan in our room..

AFWife's Avatar AFWife 02:56 PM 03-01-2011

We use our Wind Machine 3300

mamareads's Avatar mamareads 05:00 PM 03-01-2011
StoriesInTheSoil's Avatar StoriesInTheSoil 07:11 PM 03-01-2011

Box Fan.

tzs's Avatar tzs 08:11 PM 03-01-2011

fan was great in the summer but not so much in the winter when the house is 62 degrees at night...if that.

PollyC's Avatar PollyC 05:52 AM 03-02-2011

We use a little fan...since it is a cold Northern winter I just point it up towards the ceiling.  Also, not sure how old your baby is but the use of a fan supposedly reduces the SIDS risk somewhat.

mom2happy's Avatar mom2happy 09:43 AM 03-02-2011

I use an air purifyer on high for all of DD's naps. It works great and cleans all the dust and crap out of the air. Double duty.

It's not any expensive one, but it has a HEPA filter which is good.

jfontana's Avatar jfontana 09:54 AM 03-02-2011

I use one ocean waves track on a CD on repeat in our alarm clock.  Our alarm clock has a cd player so I just leave it on repeat all night and for naps... Works great!

Orionsmama's Avatar Orionsmama 10:14 AM 03-02-2011

The Cloud B Sleep sheep. Its nice because its so portable for overnights. 

channelmom's Avatar channelmom 05:40 PM 03-02-2011

A NO-COST OPTION... turn on the bathroom fan if it's close the child's room.  We used to use our bathroom fan (bathroom fan was next to the baby's and toddler's room) all the time and it worked very well!!!  Hope this helps somebody...

pagodaleah's Avatar pagodaleah 06:45 PM 03-02-2011

i have been using the Single Speed version of this (i read reviews by people who stated that there wasn't much difference between the two speeds) for 2-3 years now. I LOVE IT! i was using a fan before i found this amazing piece of gadgetry. It was too cold to run the fan in the winter and didn't want a fan running at the same time i had a heater in the room running too. Hence the best investment so far.  It's small enough to travel with, it stays on (no automatic shut-off, no timer, no breaks between songs like on the iPod, etc) and i use it in my son's room. It really is the perfect sound machine. you don't have to worry about overheating, whirring blades or it accidentally falling over. I highly suggest it; the BEST $50 i spent.

Sharon Sarles's Avatar Sharon Sarles 07:56 PM 03-02-2011

LOL Yes, me too! I used to turn on the fan in the bathroom adjacent to the master bedroom, not too far from the bassinett. Back then I don't think white noise machines were well known! Have fun you all! 

babymommy2's Avatar babymommy2 08:10 PM 03-02-2011

I bought one from walmart in the pharmacy section wiht the hairdryers and things like that. I don't remember the make , but it has white noise, heartbeat, thunder, waves, and a bunch of other nature sounds, I think about 10 settings. Battery or plug in, it was about 15 or 20$. Right now it is lost as the older kids will play with it, so I turn on the air exchanger, it will run for about 20 minutes then auto shut off.

JesseDMom's Avatar JesseDMom 09:30 PM 03-03-2011

We use the cds from PureWhiteNoise.com.  They offer many sounds, including the fan cd, which has done wonders for us!

lucy_v's Avatar lucy_v 07:34 AM 03-06-2011
Thanks mamas! I love all the diy/low-cost solutions--that's normally how I do everything too---but we've got logistical issues that are requiring a free-standing noise unit. (DD starts her nights in her crib--in her room, then I bring her to our bed after her first waking. Our rooms are adjacent, so I need the white noise to be in the hallway between them. Her naps have been in our bed lately too. Plus anything IN her room would make it too hard to hear her monitor. And we play a lullaby cd on her iPod dock.)

The fan suggestions brought back a wonderful childhood memory for me... We had a whole-house attic fan, which was the greatest white noise maker! So loud, yet soothing. Except when the timer shut off and I woke from the sudden silence! I wish we could have one in our current home, but there's no room.

If anyone else has experience with the white noise machines, I'd love to hear about it!
gradstudentmommy's Avatar gradstudentmommy 10:46 AM 03-06-2011

Those Marpac ones are great. I use them in every bedroom plus at work as a therapist. They last for years using them every day.

lucy_v's Avatar lucy_v 09:13 AM 03-15-2011
Thanks, gradstudentmommy. Do you use the single or dual speed model, or know fit's worth getting the dual speed?
gradstudentmommy's Avatar gradstudentmommy 10:01 AM 03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy_v View Post

Thanks, gradstudentmommy. Do you use the single or dual speed model, or know fit's worth getting the dual speed?

I use the dual speed ones. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two speeds but I like having the option. I try to use the quieter speed for our kids' rooms but if our environment is particularly noisy, I use the higher speed. And I use the higher speed for myself You can also turn the top to adjust the number of openings and that changes the sound volume and quality a little bit.

lucy_v's Avatar lucy_v 09:34 AM 03-16-2011
Great, thanks for the detailed info!
Up