Where is the simplicity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I joined the online world of Mothering a while ago in the hopes of getting good tips from like-minded mothers, however I find as I browse the various posts that I am starting to get worried about everything!  When does my baby go to sleep, how many times a day she nurses, what will happen when we try and stop co-sleeping...etc.  My mother always says to me that she and my dad never gave anything another thought doing all the same stuff I am, and that we all weaned/went to our own rooms etc naturally...so why is it that it seems to be so difficult now?  Why can't I just have the peace of mind to "go with the flow" and not worry about what a book says, or a website, or another mother.  Anyone else find reading these forums sometimes complicate life?  Maybe I should just stick to reading things I actually am seeking information on rather than "looking ahead"....

hippymama23 likes this.
#2 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#3 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM

My DH used to beg me to stop reading these forums because I would start obsessing over every little thing and thinking there was something wrong with me or DS. I think at some point I just stopped taking everything to heart so much? Maybe when I read the no-cry sleep solution and she says if she had it to do over again her kids would probably still be taking all their naps in arms until 1 year or whatever and you really have to evaluate whether stuff is actually a problem for you (paraphrase, obvs). I realized that the way we're doing things suits us fine as far as sleep and everything else goes, and if at some point it stops suiting us we can work on changing it then!

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#4 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, this is my first...and I thought I was pretty chill until I started to obsess over these forums. I've skimmed through No Cry Baby Solution even though my DD doesn't have any sleep problems yet, and I do let her nap a lot in my arms and wouldn't change a thing.  I think maybe as a first time mom you realize your limitations and worry that your natural instincts could be creating a problem in the future...I just shouldn't worry so much.  

#5 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Sometimes they make me worry (first time mom here too) but I just remind myself that, no matter what, my son is going to grow up. It doesn't matter if we have a hard time transitioning from co sleeping to his own bed because EVENTUALLY he will want his own space. It doesn't matter if he is still not eating solids regularly at 11 months because EVENTUALLY he will want to and will.

And, no matter what comes your way, you will get through it! And, when she asks you 20 some years from now, you'll say everything was fine and normal!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#6 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 PM

i am neurotic about somethings.. like leaving my children with people and their safety. but as for sleeping feeding eating and all that i'm a go with the flow person.

Now people are likley going to be suggesting things left right and center and will always have a solution to your problems. this i thknk is where a lot of the stress comes from.

i was a bit more stressed with my first but honstly I just got lazy trying to keep up with all the requirements and suggestions....

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#7 of 30 Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM

I totally, totally get you. I have an anxiety issue anyway, and of course, it transfers full force onto my daughter. I do worry about so many things, but when I step back and look as objectively as I can, it becomes clear that I have also come a long way from the very neurotic and control freak person I was before Cecilia. She has forced me to relax and go with the flow more than I ever could before, simply by being herself-- a baby who needs her mama all the time.

I also think it's true that it will be easier for me to go with the flow with the next baby, when I see that Cecilia hasn't been "broken" by my flubs. smile.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#8 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM

I think I tend to swing back and forth between extremes (I am a Libra, after all.)

If you're talking about milestones, my DS (8 mo) is not talking, barely babbling, not crawling, clapping, waving. Sometimes I frantically worry about this (OH MY GOD HE'S AUTISTIC!!!) and sometimes I forget to even think about it. Is he clapping? (Uh, I have no idea. Uh. I guess not.)

It does help that he's my second. I heartbeat.gif the analogy of the cookie on the floor! I have to say that when people ask me if he's crawling yet - I instantly think back to DD and when she crawled and the fact that her favorite thing to do now (at age 7) is to swing as high as she can and then hurl herself into space. Hmmm... didn't matter whether she crawled at 10 mo or 8 mo when she's hurtling through the air.

I think that it helps me to know - oh, ok, I'm freaking out about this a little and then it helps me to put it in persepctive. I also think it helps that when you have one child already you know what's really important to you and what's not.

If you're freaking out about things to come, then stop reading those threads. "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it," I sometimes say. It is hard. It's natural for most people to worry about whether our kids are OK. Good luck!!!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#9 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I get all freaked out at times because my 11 month old is only babbling, not even attempting words. My DD 8-yr was saying mama, dada, baba for things by this age. But she was way calmer, she'd sit for books. My son grabs books out of my hands and throws them on the floor.

This puts it into perspective. He will speak eventually. We can't change him or make him go on our time line. if he does have a disability we can't change that either, I should just enjoy him as he is. Cuddled up with me as he sleeps. joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post

If you're talking about milestones, my DS (8 mo) is not talking, barely babbling, not crawling, clapping, waving. Sometimes I frantically worry about this (OH MY GOD HE'S AUTISTIC!!!) and sometimes I forget to even think about it. Is he clapping? (Uh, I have no idea. Uh. I guess not.)

It does help that he's my second. I heartbeat.gif the analogy of the cookie on the floor! I have to say that when people ask me if he's crawling yet - I instantly think back to DD and when she crawled and the fact that her favorite thing to do now (at age 7) is to swing as high as she can and then hurl herself into space. Hmmm... didn't matter whether she crawled at 10 mo or 8 mo when she's hurtling through the air.

I think that it helps me to know - oh, ok, I'm freaking out about this a little and then it helps me to put it in persepctive. I also think it helps that when you have one child already you know what's really important to you and what's not.

If you're freaking out about things to come, then stop reading those threads. "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it," I sometimes say. It is hard. It's natural for most people to worry about whether our kids are OK. Good luck!!!

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#10 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Is it your first?

I love the saying:
With your first child, if they drop a cookie on the floor you throw it away and get them a new cookie.
With your second, if they drop a cookie on the floor you pick it up, brush it off, and give it back to them.
With your third, you pick up the child and put them on the floor with the cookie.

I was the most neurotic jewish mother ever with my first. She had some problems in infancy which reinforced that for me. But time will bring confidence. More children will force you to chill out and go with the flow 'cuz there ain't no controlin the flow once they outnumber you. wink1.gif

I bet your mother and father worried too. It's just long ago and far away for them.

Haha, I'm on my third baby and that quote is 100% truth. 

#11 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

For me, I got way more anxious with my second pregnancy because of these boards and I started questioning everything.  I had no "fear" of miscarriage with my first and with my second I was convinced something was going to go wrong (it didn't).

With my parenting, I'm pretty confident and don't really question much. 

I love that cookie quote, awesome.

Mama to three

#12 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Is it your first?

I love the saying:
With your first child, if they drop a cookie on the floor you throw it away and get them a new cookie.
With your second, if they drop a cookie on the floor you pick it up, brush it off, and give it back to them.
With your third, you pick up the child and put them on the floor with the cookie.

I was the most neurotic jewish mother ever with my first. She had some problems in infancy which reinforced that for me. But time will bring confidence. More children will force you to chill out and go with the flow 'cuz there ain't no controlin the flow once they outnumber you. wink1.gif

I bet your mother and father worried too. It's just long ago and far away for them.

Wow, this makes me feel like Im slacking. I totally put my (first) kid on the floor with a cookie.

I do worry about a lot of stuff too, but Ive found that it works better for me to stay "ahead" on the forums. My babe is almost one, and I look at the toddler forums more than I do Life with a Babe, just because Im trying to make desicions about things before they come along (sometimes that doesnt work :)) and the toddler forum makes me feel more prepared. Also, not to offend any other first time moms, but I tend to take the advice of posters who have more than one kid a little more seriously. I assume people take my advice with a grain of salt, since Im a first time mom with a less than one year old.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM

I don't know, I would think that if you've had experience with whatever the particular subject is that's being talked about, your insight would be helpful regardless of the number of children you've raised. It only takes one carseat screamer, for example, to be able to offer sympathy and advice to a mom experiencing the same. smile.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#14 of 30 Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM

woodchick likes this.

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#15 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM

As for the cookie qoute......i have five little boys ten and under.....I just put the cookies straight on the floor at this point. ;) As for the obsessing. I tend to only read the posts that actually apply to me.

#16 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM

I just had to post this because it was so funny. In my reply yesterday I used the example of not even knowing whether DS was clapping or not.

Well, he started clapping LAST NIGHT! lol.gif

I think the moral being that everything changes SO fast! You can't worry about one thing because you blink and then it's something else.

bananabee likes this.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#17 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo to clapping!!!!!! 

I am reading The Continuum Concept and found this quote interesting by the author who did many expeditions in the jungle...."I would be ashamed to admit to the Indians that where I came from the women do not feel themselves capable of raising children until they read the instructions written in a book by a strange man."  Anyone else reading/read this book?  I am really enjoying it...finding it calms my paranoia!!!!

bananabee likes this.
#18 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoemily View Post

Woo hoo to clapping!!!!!! 

I am reading The Continuum Concept and found this quote interesting by the author who did many expeditions in the jungle...."I would be ashamed to admit to the Indians that where I came from the women do not feel themselves capable of raising children until they read the instructions written in a book by a strange man."  Anyone else reading/read this book?  I am really enjoying it...finding it calms my paranoia!!!!

while i totally want to read the CC, i think that quote is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. fact is, in traditional cultures and in our culture until fairly recently, children were brought up in large families, potentially with extended families, and because of that were privy to all sorts of learning experiences related to raising children. if you had 9 brothers and sisters, you would have grown up seeing your parents raise children, nurse children, potty train children....all that stuff. with the majority of families in our modern society having their 2.5 children in fairly close succession, you don't learn childrearing (just like many of us never learned how to cook, sew, build houses etc... from our mothers and fathers like we used to) hence the need for books and web forums (and even those weird home ec. labs they used to have at colleges where women would "raise" practice babies from orphanages.)

i see it enough in my community to know it to be true. while i come from a modern family of two kids with a working mom, i am part of a chassidic jewish community where families are often comprised of 9, 10, 11, or more kids. and those kids when grown DO have a confidence in raising a family that i don't have. they also then have a very experienced mother (and aunts and grandmother and other relatives) who often remain very close and help out tremendously. they have no need for books and MDC like i might.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#19 of 30 Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm a first time Mama and reading this forum does the opposite for me. I find it calming and reassuring. It helps me to see other Mamas dealing with like issues and see different perspectives on how they handled things. I take some things I read from here and leave others.  

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#20 of 30 Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM

I havent had time to read through all the comments - but I did see the one where it says that this is your first baby (congrats!) and I just wanted to say that it does get easier with time. :) In the end, take the suggestions for their advice but you should do whatever you feel is best for you and your baby. Your baby is unique! And though may be like other babies in ways - will follow their own path. You are the mama, and you know the baby best :) So just take a deep breath and do what you think is best, and what keeps baby happy. :)

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#21 of 30 Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM

I found personally that the "simplicity" comes from experience. When my ds was born, I was neurotic too, worrying and obsessing over every thing I read. With this third baby, it just "clicked". I don't worry, I don't obsess, I take her as she is. I have no idea where she is on the milestones (behind where her sister was at this age, that's for sure, lol). I don't worry that she's not crawling yet and shows no interest. I know that she is developing just fine, that is obvious. But is she doing all the 9 month old "things"? Probably not. She is a relaxed, mellow baby who just seems so content. She is happy, she is loved. And I don't know where that fits on a baby chart orngtongue.gif

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#22 of 30 Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM

I'm on my third, and really, I think that simplicity does come with time.That cookie quote is totally right on! My sister-in-law had a baby the day before we had our DD. And she has said to me numerous times in the last six months, "I can't handle the one! How do you do three? When do you sleep? etc." And I keep saying back to her that her job is harder than mine. The learning curve on the first is steep!  That said, I remember my other sister-in-law saying she had to put down the books and walk away from the baby forums because they made her worry.

Have you explored MDC? What else are you interested in? Maybe Diapering or Baby Wearing? I like to read in Digging in the Earth and plan out my garden for the spring. Arts and Crafts? There are a bunch of forums! If reading Life with a Babe makes you worry about things, go read this thread about Top Chef All Stars or maybe this one, about Urban Homesteading.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#23 of 30 Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Some mamas are just more laid back from the beginning then others as well. I've never worried about nap times or babbling at 8 months or growth charts. That was only lessened with each child. lol.gif Not to say I haven't run into issues, all 3 of my children have turned out to have some special needs but I've never sweated the small things, just not my thing. They either sleep or they don't, and who cares where they eat the cookie or if they are eating it for breakfast or dinner or heck TWO cookies! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#24 of 30 Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Even in time with one baby I've become more laid back! :) 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#25 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

Even in time with one baby I've become more laid back! :) 

yeahthat.gif

I also agree that MDC has helped me be more relaxed knowing others have gone through what I am experiencing and come out alright. I also love the support found here. It's sad that the natural / AP style of parenting is the alternative way, but because of that it can be hard to find likeminded parents out there (at least where I live) and for me at least this place is a lifesaver of support and understanding, not to mention learning. I've gotten so many useful tips and ideas from other mamas here.

...and as for the OT thing about The Continuum Concept, I totally agree with tzs that it's apples and oranges and not really fair to compare families in modern urban settings to tribes in the jungle. Honestly, I found the book dreadfully boring and dry and kept trying but in the end gave up on page 70 or so. Maybe for someone who really doesn't get babywearing it would be a good, academically-oriented backup explaining why it's good to wear your baby, but otherwise I am not a CC fan.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#26 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM

I totally feel the same way.  In fact, I have avoided coming back to the forum because of that very same thing.  What I want is some confort and acknowledgement from other moms how hard it is having a baby and adjusting to this new human.  Thanks for posting this.

#27 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 PM

I hope I get more relaxed and more confident with baby two, but really I want that confidence with baby 1.  He is almost 10 months old and I find myself questioning everything I do if I am doing it right.  I have just done what feel natural and we still have no plan to get him out of our bed (we have been bed sharing).  It seems the plan keeps changing from bring the crib in the bedroom and try the transition to put the mattress on the floor in the baby's room and sleep on that mattress. I feel like I need to call an expert to come coach us. 

I should feel like the expert!  I don't know if it my own insecurity as a person or all new mothers feel insecure and have self-doubt if they are doing it right.   I always fall back on my mom books.  Books about how hard it is to be a mother and society's crazy thoughts on mothers.  The Price of Motherhood; This is Not How I Thought It Would Be and my favorite, Operating Instructions,

#28 of 30 Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoemily View Post

I find as I browse the various posts that I am starting to get worried about everything!  

That is when it is time to log off.  Spend some time with your babe.  

#29 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memomuse View Post

I hope I get more relaxed and more confident with baby two, but really I want that confidence with baby 1.  He is almost 10 months old and I find myself questioning everything I do if I am doing it right.  I have just done what feel natural and we still have no plan to get him out of our bed (we have been bed sharing).  It seems the plan keeps changing from bring the crib in the bedroom and try the transition to put the mattress on the floor in the baby's room and sleep on that mattress. I feel like I need to call an expert to come coach us. 

Do you need a plan? Is what you're doing working for everyone at the moment? Why not just go with it until it stops working, then try something else? 

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#30 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM

@ Katelove

We have put a mattress on the floor in the baby's room.  He is crawling now so that is why we had to do something fast.  He was going to leap off the rasied bed we were all sharing in our bedroom.  We are now in his bedroom and he slept in the crib for two hours last night so we have started the transition.  I am really happy about the progress already.  He sleeps with us in the bed that is on the floor once he wakes up from the crib which we put him down in when we sing him to sleep.  He used to have to be nursed to sleep but now he nurses before and has some energy and then my husband has been having some luck with him by singing him to sleep.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page