chlorine free diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone used or recommend them? I was thinking of getting some for Dd2. With my other children I used cloth, but Dd2 has a different father, and he didnt take too well on the idea of cloth, so we are using disposables, and I am looking for something a little more earth friendly.

thanks!

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#2 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When we visited the States recently we used the Seventh Generation brand (available at Whole Foods) and were satisfied with them.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

That is the brand that I have seen, and thought of buying. Do they leak? I have used some disposable brands and they just leak out the side! Some are actually great (the more fitted ones) but others are just useless...

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#4 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 AM

No, for us they never leaked - even overnight! But DS isn't a real heavy wetter or anything.

Mama since 2010
#5 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 AM

Seventh Generation *for us* was one of the only disposable dipes that didn't leak.
#6 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 AM
mra

I like Earth's Best better than Seventh Generation.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#7 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I also like Earth's Best. They run quite big though, so factor that in. If she's at the top or bottom of the weight range that might make a difference for you.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#8 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

We used 7th Generation for DS. They are equal in performance to something like pampers, have no annoying licensed junk, and are cheapest from Amazon Subscribe and Save.  Earth's Best would be the same.  We always used Huggies overnights. Chlorine free is a pretty low standard for being earth friendly....

Other options would be Nature Babycare (compostable) or Gdiapers hybrid (compostable, flushable).  Diaper choice aside, the biggest way you can reduce your environmental footprint with disposables is to make sure you put poop in the toilet, but given that you have used cloth before that is probably part of your routine.

Diapers.com has a new brand called "Attitude" which is also compostable.

Triceratops likes this.
#9 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM

If you join Amazon Mom, you can get Seventh Generation diapers for 30% off plus free 2-day shipping with a subscription (meaning they send them to you regularly on whatever time schedule you decide, e.g. 2 cases every month or whatever). Amazon Mom gives 30% off of all diapers and wipes on subscription.

Triceratops likes this.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#10 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

The seventh generation brand is the only one we use now (when we use disposables).  We haven't had a leak with them yet!

We've also tried Earth's Best, but they leaked..so we gave them away. 

I get them from Amazon.com like Cecilia's mom mentioned.  Occasionally you will find coupons in random parents magazines that you can apply towards the purchase.  I recently just used all of the above discounts mentioned with a $10 off coupon....so cheap!!

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#11 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We also use 7th Generation (It is the only disposable that doesn't irritate DD2's skin).  We do cloth during the day and 7th Gen at night and we are good with no leaks (all night, lots of nursing and a FULL diaper in the morning).  

With DD1, I loved earth's best, but they have something that irritates DD2's skin.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#12 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Nature Baby Care!

It's not only chlorine free as its materials are biodegradable.

We love it. Never had any leaks or rash. But then again, we only started with them at around 7 months. We did cloth until then (working/studying mom and no daycare, can't keep up with household duties and I grieve giving up cloth) and apart from Nature Baby care we only used 7th Gen. Both are great but I prefer the first for it's sustainability.

DS has actually been in 7th Gen for the last month or so after a sale at a local store. It's going great.

Triceratops likes this.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

#13 of 23 Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, for all your input! I am so thankful that I learned about amazon mom and also about the other more earth friendly diapers :) such great help. With Cloth I used the same brand each time with my older two, with no issues - with disposables I am finding it more of a trial and error situation. (which sometimes makes for unhappy babies who wake up with soaked clothes!)  

#14 of 23 Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Diaper choice aside, the biggest way you can reduce your environmental footprint with disposables is to make sure you put poop in the toilet

Really, why? I've never heard that before.

Mama since 2010
#15 of 23 Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

This lady said it way better than I could :]

Even with Disposable Diapers, Poop in the Potty

Recently a friend of mine told me that whether you’re using cloth or disposable diapers for your baby, you’re supposed to flush the fecal matter down the toilet so that it can go through the sewer system and be treated. Apparently babies and small children excrete many viruses in their feces including Hepatitis A, rotavirus, shigella, salmonellosis, amebiasis, live polio virus (from vaccines), and typhoid among others. In order to keep these viruses from contaminating underground water supplies, poop should not be dumped into a diaper pail and thrown out with the trash.

This sounded crazy to me. How could I not know? I started asking people if they knew about throwing poop from diapers into the potty. I was either greeted with a “Yeah, of course” type answer or total incredulity. I decided I needed to look it up for myself, which I did with some modicum of success. Then my web-savvy, forum-using friend helped me out. Between us, here’s the info we found that explains this most clearly.

In 1975, the World Health Organization called for an end of urine and fecal matter in solid waste. I looked for this on the WHO website, but found it in an article in Mothering.

The American Public Health Association made a policy statement in 1989.

From Pampers’ Website (though I can’t actually find the instructions on the Pampers bag itself): “As the Pampers bag recommends, you’ll want to dump bowel movements in the toilet. Then just roll the diaper into its backsheet, using the tape or fasteners to keep it closed, and dispose of it in the trash.” Here’s the tricky part though, they’ve completely hidden this information. You have to go to their product description, click on a type of diaper, then click the helpful hints tab and scroll down to “Waste Removal.”

So, we’re throwing poop in the potty (if you can call the dumping of that sticky mess throwing). Our next need is to buy disposable wipes so we can throw them in there too. 

From mamatrue.com HTH!!

#16 of 23 Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Just a tip, if you're looking to flush the wipes after you've wiped waste into the toilet, you need to buy flushable wipes not regular baby wipes. This is because regular wipes are not made to break down in water pipes and can clog up the toilet. If they don't clog up the toilet, they can clog up the pipes to your house. I don't think there are any natural versions of these kind of wipes but you can find them in the toilet paper section of the grocery store. I think we use Cottonelle brand.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#17 of 23 Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
mra

Costco.com sells the Nature Babycare diapers. Not sure how the price compares, but Costco is usually less expensive.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#18 of 23 Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Any chance you get get SO to reconsider?  Newer cloth diapers  are so easy to use.  We have a toilet sprayer and clean up is a breeze.

As another poster said, chlorine free is not really making a big difference from a green point of view.

That being said, when we use disposables, we use Earth's First.  I found 7th Generation dipes leak.  But I use 7th Generation wipes.

#19 of 23 Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 PM

If you have Kroger grocery stores in your area, their store brand, Comforts for Baby, has a chlorine free version called "A Touch of Nature".  They run about half the price of Seventh Generation diapers, and in my opinion, they're better. 

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#20 of 23 Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post

If you have Kroger grocery stores in your area, their store brand, Comforts for Baby, has a chlorine free version called "A Touch of Nature".  They run about half the price of Seventh Generation diapers, and in my opinion, they're better. 

Thanks! I didn't know that!  I will look next time. :)

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#21 of 23 Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
It is illegal almost everywhere to dispse of poop in a landfill. But almost no one o uses dispsables dies so. Seriously there wouldn't be o many "stink" devices for disposables if people weren't hiding 40 poopy disperse in their nurseries. Seriously, you have a month if poop where your baby sleeps and you think fluffy bottoms are gross?!

Poop seriously contaminates landfills and groundwater supplies. The trash is one thing, butthe viruses and the fecal matter are worse.
#22 of 23 Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

The reminder about poop in the potty that surfaced from this thread is really important.

Just to encourage other moms. I was into practicing EC. But in practice, from the point of view of real ECers we are a failure because as of now we only catch poo and that's all we are after.

But from the environmental point of view, at least we've been able to keep our poops out of the landfill and in the potty, and saving on wipes (no smeared bottom to clean with EC).

So I'm saying, it's very easy. You don't need to be the most dedicated ECer and still catch all of your baby's poos in the potty. Read and try, it's really worth it and fun.

This thread also makes me reconsider cloth. I just try not to think about it bcos I'm so overwhelmed by my duties in school, work and home. But everytime I discuss and think further, all points to cloth again.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

#23 of 23 Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

cloth is so easy, and so fun (due to the patterns!) but my SO doesnt like the idea :c( thankfully I was able to cloth with my other two kiddos. But yes, poo in landfills is not good, and most people who use sposies dont know this! they dont even know that it is illegal!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page