Newborn with sunburn like rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 9 days old today and has developed a terrible sunburn like rash all over his belly and chest. His legs and arms are splotchy but his body id bright red.

All his clothing was washed in a super gentle baby soap and he is exclusively breastfed. It looks really painful bt he seems in good spirits

Any ideas????

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Call your doctor. Even if it's nothing, I'd want a professional's opinion on a wee little 9 day old baby!

Congratulations on your new baby, and let us know what your doctor says!! smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Yep! I would call or take him in, ASAP! A rash like that on a newbie would worry me! Now, my seven year old is prone to crazy rashes and I know now just to use benadryl and wait, but you can't do that with a nine day old. Best luck!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

We have an appointment with the ped on Tuesday. We are still in midwives care and she seems to think is normal. So we will see what the doc thinks. I was just hoping someone had dealt with something similar and could share-to hopefully ease my mind.

thank you ladies-will report back

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

Did your midwife say what the thinks the rash is?

It could be heat rash.  Are you maybe over dressing baby?

It sounds like an allergic reaction, though.  Most obvious culprit would be either laundry detergent or bath soap.  Even gentle, mild or "natural
 soaps can cause reactions.  I'd wash baby in straight water - no soap.  I'd wash some already clean baby clothes in just water to totally rinse out any detergent.  See if this helps.

#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM

My DS2 had a rash sounding exactly how you are describing your LO's rash when he was a week or so old. He was born in June so I attributed it to a heat rash. It was some kind of contact dermatitis. BTW our ped didn't want to see us for it. What helped my son the most was swimming in our salt-water pool. It cleared his skin right up! I would try a salt-water bath in luke warm water. Also, I love CJ's natural butter. It was made to be a diaper cream, but really you can use it anywhere. My DS2 still has horrible skin (eczema) and I use it several times a day on his face. I bought the tea tree and lavender scent :)

http://www.ttbbb.com/product_p/diapercream.htm

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#7 of 7 Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 AM

I would be thinking contact rash from an allergic reaction, too. Even super-gentle baby soaps can contain questionable ingredients. I would try switching to an ordinary free-and-clear detergent, and see if that clears it up, if it were me. I'd also be looking at anything like lotions or baby washes or shampoos, that baby might be reacting too.

I agree with the PP, too-- salt water is wonderful for healing the skin.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page