5.5 wks and refuses to sleep during the day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having a day-time sleep problem with my 5.5 wk old DD.  At night, we co-sleep and she nurses to sleep, then is out (or doesn't wake me up) until 2-3:30ish and again until 5:30-6:30ish.  She MIGHT sleep for an hour or two around 7-8 am, but then she does the 15 minute "pretend" nap ALL FREAKIN' DAY.  This continues until 9/10pm, when I finally take her to bed with me.

Ways I've tried to get her to sleep (generally in combos of 3):

nursing*

pacifier (haven't found one she likes yet, but sometimes one of the FIVE will work)

rocking

swaddling

white noise

walking

sling

cuddling her

lying down with her* (only at my bedtime.  I WILL NOT do during the day or before I'm ready for bed!)

Places I've tried to get her to sleep:

swing

her bed

our bed

sling*

holding her

* work best, but still not a guarantee past 15 minutes!

Things I don't do:

Let her cry it out

Rush in after the first whimpers (she has to be crying for me to get her)

Drink coffee

Noisy activities (no loud t.v., no loud kids, no loud cleaning--low conversation/t.v. is okay

Keep bright lights on (we can see with daylight or we have lamps on, but not in her face)

I'm losing my mind.  Especially since I started writing this just after I finally got her to go to sleep (in my arms, slightly bundled, index finger substituted the paci), was able to transfer her to her swing (woke up enough to check out the new surroundings, and went back to sleep) and she's now been sleeping for 30 minutes and still going strong. (What?!!)

I've already read the "Sleeping Newborn...." and "Ridiculous..." posts re: sleep.  I feel their pain and am glad I'm not the only one.

I have a feeling it will be like this for another month or two.  *Sigh*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hang in there mama! It may just be a phase.  At 5 weeks my ds was taking great naps but up every 45 minutes at night.  I would just keep putting her down for naps (don't give up even though they are a measly 15 minutes!) and when she gets a little older and eats more at time she will start taking longer naps.

Also, maybe stirring after 15 mins is just part of her sleep cycle?  For awhile at night I would put ds down at 730 ish and he would wake up 45 mins later no matter what.  So I started going in there 40 mins after I put him down and waking him just enough to nurse for a few mins and then he would sleep a lot better and never wake fully.

This too shall pass this too shall pass this too shall pass. (:

Alissa: married to dh since 05/2006 and mama to Solomon (08/2009) and Ezra (04/2012).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page