I have a really dumb question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is it normal for a newborn to have a few hours of awake time at night? LO use to sleep about 12 hours at night (8am-8pm) waking up only long enough to eat and get changed but now she wants to party from 3-5 am.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes I think so... my newbie sometimes is awake for an hour or more around 3am. I mentioned this to the ped last wk when she asked if he had 10-15 min of awake time twice a day and she laughed when I said 3am and said "Of course!" so I think it must be ok.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 5.5 week old has always "woken up" around 11pm or midnight for her longest stretch of awake time until 1:30 -3 am. she sleeps fine otherwise, she's just a little nocturnal - apparently it takes a while for newbies to develop a circadian rhythm; some just kind of luck into sleeping more at night right off the bat, some other parents aren't so lucky.

we're gently trying to work on it by keeping the house bright and noisy during the day and keeping the lights dim and noises quieter at night. so far in a week of this, she's stayed asleep at her normal party time twice.....hopefully next week it'll be three times.....

User Tag List