Anybody else not want to pump? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two kids.  I don't pump.  Neither ever had a bottle.  With DS I did get a hand pump as I had a Christmas party around 5 months where I left him with dh for a few hours.  I left a little bit of milk and sippy cups to use to give it to him.  He wouldn't touch it.

That said- I could have easily hand expressed as much milk as I left him  lol.

-Angela

#32 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM

I had to pretty much exclusively pump for ds1 because I worked full time out of the home.  He did not do well with going from breast to bottle, and eventually flat out refused the breast. 

I was determined to not let this happen again.  I've been extremely blessed to not have to go back to work this time around.  Ds2 has never had a bottle and I don't plan on ever giving him one.  I'm just as attached to him as he is to me and I'm not ready at all to leave him with anyone for more than an hour or so.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#33 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM

When DD was 12 m/o I had to take a mandatory class to keep my drivers license and it was a 9hr class. DH brought her in on our lunch break and I nursed her then, but she had gone nearly 7hrs with no milk! She always nurses every 3-4 hrs even now, so that astonished us both. I did leave milk for her but she didn't want it. So it's not like you can't EBF and have freedom too. A lot of times when you go out the baby just waits for you to come back. If it's only 2hrs or so I wouldn't worry about leaving anything, once they are a few months old...if you left a few month old baby, which I didn't. Even now I don't like to leave her, but I do usually at least once a month even if it's only an hour. I can only really leave her with DH though so it's not often since he works and I need daddy time too lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#34 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM

I travel a lot for work and have to pump.  In airport bathrooms, in rental cars, in borrowed offices, where-ever.  I hate it.  BUT it is the few moments I have to myself during the day, so I try to think of it that way-- I get to call my mom, surf the web (hi!), do what I want.  Silver lining.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#35 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

I kind of like pumping because I can see what I'm making and I feel reinforced when I see the jar filling up. I've only ever done it a couple times and only two of my four kids have ever had a bottle. It's more to relive engorgement. I make a ton of milk so if I'm feeling really full and uncomfortable I'll sit down and pump 8oz with my little manual avent pump with plenty left for the baby. I give the milk to the next youngest child in a sippy cup. I try to keep a eyedropper and bottle on hand with a small mason jar of expressed milk in the freezer just in case even though it's never been needed. I live on a military base and the gate will sometimes close for what seems like no reason. It can last a couple hours. My concern it that I will run out to do something thinking I'll be back within an hour then I'll get stuck out for a couple hours with a screaming hungry baby at home. I feel calmer on the rare occasion I get to go out alone with that milk there.

#36 of 48 Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm a WOHM who is nearly exclusively BFing an almost 8 month old and has excess lipase (ie, my milk can't be frozen and DS won't take it unless it's very recently pumped)... so I pump 2-5 times per day, depending. No, I don't like pumping -- I hate it actually -- but I need to pump for work, and with the excess lipase issue, I have to pump overtime to keep the milk constantly fresh... that means that DH ends up giving DS a bottle on occasion, even if I'm around to nurse our DS.

Here's what I've found: it is awfully sweet to see DH feed DS. I love watching that moment. When I see him cradling our baby, providing him with nutrition, well, I feel like my heart will burst from the tenderness.

Definitely don't do what you're not comfortable with, but bear in mind that just a few pumping sessions is a very minor inconvenience, and... you may very well enjoy seeing the heartfelt moment between your child and your husband

#37 of 48 Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 PM

rachael07, have you tried scalding your milk for the lipase issue? If what you're doing now works for you, then it's probably not worth it, but if you do want to build a freezer stash, scalding might help! smile.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#38 of 48 Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM

I pumped quite a bit with my first, she wouldn't nurse at the beginning and then I went back to work at 12 weeks. For my second, I didn't pump (I'm a stay at home mom now) until I got mastitis. Both girls would not take bottles and with my first it was not for lack of trying.

If you need to your LO to take a bottle, my advice is to start now. I tried after 6 weeks with both my girls and they wouldn't take it. DD#1 refused from birth (she had feeding issues from the get go) and DD#2 took one at 2 weeks, but wouldn't take it a month later. I agree with the others that if you will only be gone a few hours you can probably get by with using a cup for feeding. I think even by 3 or 4 months I could even nurse DD#2 prior to leaving and when I came back. 

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#39 of 48 Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I do occasionally scald and it works... the problem is that if I don't scald right away (the same evening), the degraded fats take on a terrible texture in the freezer. It's hard to describe, but the whole milk looks curdled and DS won't take it. Since I found out about the excess lipase two days before going back to work, there hasn't been much opportunity to pump lots of extra for freezing. Anyway, you're absolutely right that excess lipase milk *can* be frozen -- I should have clarified that I've never been organized/speedy enough with the scalding to make it work for us :D

In case anyone else with excess lipase is reading...at first I sort of freaked out, but then I realized that not having a freezer stash has kept my supply up fantastically well. It works kind of like the baby, right? When I don't get enough at work, I pump at night until my supply goes back up. The extra pumping is a huge pain, but I still have an oversupply (after 5 months of being back at my job).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

rachael07, have you tried scalding your milk for the lipase issue? If what you're doing now works for you, then it's probably not worth it, but if you do want to build a freezer stash, scalding might help! smile.gif

#40 of 48 Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 PM

I totally hear you re: being protective of nursing time.  I know I need to start pumping and giving our 4 month old an occasional bottle to get him comfortable with them, and I'm usually quite practical, but I'm being a little crazy about this!  It's just so cozy and so simple.  I call it my "trump card" - nursing trumps nearly any freakout.

That said, pumping rescued us from a sudden and scary drop in my milk supply early on.  I highly recommend investing in a fancy double pump, which is way more efficient (although not as efficient as a baby).  Some/most health insurance plans will cover it.

#41 of 48 Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM

I donated about 1,000 oz with my first and now, with a 7 week old I've been pumping one side once a day because he doesn't like my left side when he's awake. I'll probably end up donating it. I like pumping , though. I produce a ton and it kind of makes me proud to share it with people who need it.

I don't understand the whole mindset that some people have about needing to feed the baby to "bond" with them. It seems weird. I pump for donating and on the off chance I want to get away and not feel like I've got to rush home. I work full time at home with occasional travel so I have to be ready for that.

Last time around my son reverse cycled and refused bottles at daycare starting around 8 months and he just nursed at night instead.

He not only refused bottles, but anything but water from cups. He never drank any milk from cups (human, cow, soy, or any other kind of opaque liquid -- he's five and still doesn't like them).
#42 of 48 Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

I think the dad feeding part is totally up to each individual family to decide. My husband feels he's bonded perfectly well with our daughter without having fed her.

#43 of 48 Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM

i was stuck in a VERY out of the blue blizzard on the way to and back from the store when my twins were 7 weeks old. i was supposed to be away for 20-30 mn and was stuck for nearly 7 hours. if i had not pumped and stored milk i have no idea what my two babies would have ate that long night. there would have been basically no way for their father and grandmother who was home with them to go to a store of any kind to get formula or anything for them.

that night convinced me 100% that pumping had enough uses to continue it in one way or another till they were started adding solids & water to their diet in significant portions, well past the 9 month mark.  it was hard but really worth it. i also found that if i didn't pump regularly i stopped getting a good pump, so a little every day was way way better than just doing it when the stats was low.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#44 of 48 Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Oh Adorkable - that sounds like quite a nightmare!  - 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#45 of 48 Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFortune View Post

The best part of pumping though - you can give the baby to your SO and get a 6 hour straight sleep - it's heavenly, and worth the pain in the ass that is pumping.

This.

I pumped a quick bottle right before bed and my husband fed the first nighttime feeding. He's a night owl so was up at that time regardless. I still say that those 4 hours in a row of sleep were the best experience in my life. I worked and I did hate pumping. However, that one nighttime bottle was totally worth it for me in the early days.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#46 of 48 Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 AM

Pumping is kind of a drag. I don't have a choice because I am back at work. It's just so much easier to whip out a boob, than prep, pump, clean, bag, etc.

I am proud of the stash I've created in 1 month though. I have a new found mad respect for the mamas out there who exclusively pump. :clap

#47 of 48 Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 PM

I do not care for pumping, however I consider myself blessed to be able to do it because I had to go back to work at 6 weeks PP. Since then I have only seen my DS2 drink a bottle once because when I am around, I feed him and no-one else. I agree with others that have commented that it would be good to have an emergency stash, because anything can happen. There are plenty of other ways DH can bond with baby as previously mentioned.

Lover of Christ, my amazing husband and 3 boys ages 13, 24 mo & 6 mo. chicken3.gif Avid breastfeeder, ever-fluctuating family bed sleepers, cloth diapering when I keep up with laundry, no circ in this house, delayed/selective vaxr & home birth advocate. Raising our boys to love the Lord! heartbeat.gif
#48 of 48 Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

I know this isn't everyone's situation, but I work from home and breastfed my oldest for 26 months and my youngest DS is 3yrs 3mos and is still BF and I have NEVER pumped. I am pregnant know with #3 and will not buy a pump this time around either. Like another poster stated, if an emergency arises, I could hand express and cup/spoon/medicine dropper feed.  But, in the 5 1/2 years I've been BF, that need has never come up.  My husband has bonded with babywearing, soothing, playing, cuddling, bathing, playing, reading and the countless other ways we have to bond and connect - and in his own special daddy way.  For me, there are so many reasons that feeding directly from the breast is ideal, and because I'm in a position to do so - and because I choose to do so, this has worked out wonderful for me, my babies, and daddy :)

Springshowers likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page