Anybody else not want to pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH is asking me to pump so he can give Julia a bottle once in awhile. I think it's great that he wants to feed her and cuddle with her, but I REALLY don't want to pump! I know that eventually I'm going to have to because we will be going to a wedding in May and hubby will be with the baby. I also know that I will have to start pumping once in awhile very soon so that Julia gets used to the bottle (figured I'd do it once a week up until the wedding). But I'm not looking forward to it. I love my breastfeeding time and don't want to share! Is that strange? Anyone else feel the same way? Most of my close friends with new babies have been pumping since the beginning and have been giving their babes a bottle quite often. My pump has been stashed away in the closet. I don't know, maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#2 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Cecilia absolutely never would take a bottle, so I got a reprieve on the sharing of feeding time. I feel like you do, about the specialness of our nursing relationship, and I am very lucky that my husband never pushed the issue beyond us trying a couple of types of bottles, not having any success, and just dropping it.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Don't do it if you don't want to!

It's wonderful that DH wants to help in this way, but frankly, there are other ways he can do that right now. It's maybe unfortunate, but when baby is EBF, mama is the one who does the feeding, at least in the beginning. My 7 mo just began taking a bottle of expressed milk a month or two ago, and only when I'm in school. It's a hassle to pump, and not something I would want to do without a good reason.

One thing we did from early on was to have other things that only papa does - like bath time. It's their special time together, they both really enjoy it, and her dad gets to feel like this responsibility is 'his'.

Or what about baby massage? We took a cheap class, all three of us, and then had papa do a daily massage. They both loved it! It's great for baby's development, good for bonding, and doesn't require you to become a dairy cow!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#4 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Pumping is annoying, IMO. I never did it reguarly, and Id go back and forth on weather or not I wanted to be doing it at all. I completely stopped at 6 months. I just felt like it didnt matter if I got a break because someone else was watching her if I had to sit on a breastpump and not move for a grand total of 2 hours just to let DH feed her twice.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM

I think it's important to introduce a bottle once in awhile for the possibility of a one day need.....you just never know what might come up.... and I also think it's important to allow dads a bit of that bonding time too.  No, I didn't want to 'give up' that feeding time, but was glad later that I did.  We still hardly ever use the bottle...but using it once in awhile (maybe once every few days) have made other times that were necessary much much easier and less stressful for ds and the bottle provider.  And of course, the longer you wait, the harder it will be. That's my two cents....you don't need to agree, but please ponder.

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#6 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 AM

If an emergency arises, a baby who refuses a bottle can be cup, spoor or syringe fed, so it's not like it's a completely hopeless situation if mom is incapacitated.

I think the dad feeding part is totally up to each individual family to decide. My husband feels he's bonded perfectly well with our daughter without having fed her.

#7 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM

We don't pump.

I had planned on it because I knew there would be a couple of times that I needed to be away from the baby. I decided that pumping a few times a week, which I didn't enjoy, was more of a pain in the butt than finding a solution to the couple of times when we'd need a bottle. So far, it's worked out fine.

The biggest trouble we have is that the grandmothers complain that they can't babysit!

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#8 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I pumped for work, but it's not very enjoyable.

I do look forward (in huge air quotes) to pumping with this baby. I was able to donate some milk and it's the most amazing feeling!

But if it wasn't for donating, I would still have a pump for outings. But just so dad can feed? eh... it's easier to turn on the tap.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#9 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoods View Post

The biggest trouble we have is that the grandmothers complain that they can't babysit!

I have to admit, this was sort of calculated on my part. blush.gif I'm just not comfortable with the idea of anyone babysitting her while she's still so young! It just doesn't sit right with me (not that I think there's anything wrong with it for anyone else! It's just not for me). Not taking a bottle is a great reason to give when we get pestered about babysitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

I pumped for work, but it's not very enjoyable.

I do look forward (in huge air quotes) to pumping with this baby. I was able to donate some milk and it's the most amazing feeling!

But if it wasn't for donating, I would still have a pump for outings. But just so dad can feed? eh... it's easier to turn on the tap.

Donating milk is WONDERFUL! That is how my girl is thriving. She's been on donated milk since birth.  smile.gif

#10 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Ha! I don't want to pump. I get probably 1/2 the milk in three times the time. It sucks. Literally. However, I don't have a choice. 

#11 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 AM

I hate pumping! I don't respond super well to the pump, so it takes FOREVER to get a decent supply. Unfortunately, I have to do so for work, but yeah, if I didn't have to I'd probably only pump enough to have an emergency freezer stash.

That being said, DH was the one who fed DD her "practice" bottles to get her ready for daycare. He never pushed me to let him feed her and I love my nursing relationship with my daughter, but at the same time, my heart just melted when I saw how happy and special DH felt to get to participate in the feeding of our daughter.

Anyway, you definitely need to do what you're most comfortable with, mama...but a small stash of frozen milk for an emergency might be a nice bit of insurance.

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#12 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM

I second that about the grandmothers babysitting!  lol - i dont think people have any clue what it takes to 'just pump and leave  bottle'   -One occasion out can take days or even weeks of planning.   i dont even own  pump and my DH has asked to feed the baby.  It took  lot of work and planning to know that i wouldnt have to go back to work right away - first we said 4 months , then 6 months - now it looks like i will get my ultimate goal of 12 months ...which is wonderful, and something i dont take for granted!  - but i made sure my entire family knew that FOR ME,  EBF meant Mom feeds the baby...baby is always with Mom , and Mom thinks directly b-feeding is FAR EASIER than pumping and leaving a bottle.

Knitting Mama likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#13 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM

I HATE pumping. Completely and utterly despise it. DD will take a bottle although she's only had 3 her whole life (with BM) and shes 17 m/o lol. I used to give her water in a bottle though too. DH never cared about feeding her though. I used to pump daily to have a "stash" and it all went bad b/c I never used it. I also found out I have serious lipase issues..my BM was very pungent and tasted really cheesy and to me gross. When It is fresh it's fine though. Anyways I haven't pumped since she was maybe 6 m/o and I don't plan to again lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#14 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Wow! I'm surprised and relieved by the number of y'all that don't pump. I've had folks look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I don't pump.

And I don't know what it is about grandmothers and babysitting. What is it about mom not being around that is so appealing?

Anyhoo, I've been really happy with our decision. It's not for every mom, but it feels really good for our situation. I work from home, so it works well--we're lucky.

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#15 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Pumping is a drag.  But if you are ever going to leave the baby with anyone else, might as well get on that horse sooner rather than later.  Best way to pump is when you are not stressed and rushed - so doing it way in advance of needing it is best.  Then you can also get baby used to a bottle, etc.

The best part of pumping though - you can give the baby to your SO and get a 6 hour straight sleep - it's heavenly, and worth the pain in the ass that is pumping.

I also recommend a good (expensive) pump.  If the pump is not efficient, or is a pain in the ass to use, it will just make the chore even more of a chore.

#16 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM

If you leak milk at all while nursing, you can use one of those Milkies milk savers and not have to pump to collect some. I leak only on my right side so when I nurse on the left I can catch some effortlessly. 

#17 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM

I pumped for my first for a couple early months for my first, because I was back to collegue.I had to relactated her and dealing with low supply for long time. After that I didn't pumped again, I feel that is too much work when I never really need too. My youngest is 2 1/2 yo and I never pumped for him, I don't have at home any bottle feeding stash or pump. If I have to leave one of my little one for a especial ocassion, I will probably hand expressing and that the caregiver give in a cup , spoon, or serynge. Also, I not feel any desire to be apart for my little ones where they were young, at less where a real emergency.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#18 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 PM

I have pumped from day one and even though it's a lame pain in the ass, I'm glad I do it.I'm glad I have a stash, I'm glad my dh can help out. Of course Ihave twins so things may be a lot different over here. I can also pump anywhere from 8-18 oz in a 15 minute session so it's not that big of an issue.

I'm about to return the rental and start using a new purchased pump, I worry my fast high volume is because of the high grade pump, well see if I can keep it up!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#19 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't say I ever enjoyed pumping - it was uncomfortable & awkward feeling. But ds bf'd so constantly as a young baby that I was reallllly thankful for the times that dh could take him in the morning for a bit & let me sleep for more than a 2 hour stretch - it truly saved my sanity.

It's an individual decision.

asberck likes this.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#20 of 48 Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm pumping for my friend's adopted baby, but not my own, she won't take a bottle. I still leave her with DH lots and now that she is older and eats solids it is not a big deal at all. But even when she was younger she'd be ok with him for 2-4 hours without nursing.

LoveBabee likes this.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#21 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM

There's something satisfying to me to pump and actually see how much milk I'm making.  I have to pump so I can work and it's not the most fun thing in the world, but the part of me that likes measurable results gets excited about how many oz I can spit out...

#22 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM

I pumped because I didn't ever want to have to say DD won't take a bottle. So we introduced around 3 weeks. I also do not NIP so I needed to have milk to be able to go out and do things. I didn't really enjoy it but it made life easier for us because I didn't always want to have to sit in a separate room either when we went somewhere to feed her ( i know many don't have issue NIP, I just can't do it). She really only got a bottle a week if that. Sometimes more if we had a busy week. But also while DH bonded with DD in many other ways he did enjoy feeding her and I didn't want to take that away from him when I knew I fed her 98% of the time.

#23 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM

I cant stand pumping. I have a 4 week old and daddy really wants to feed him every once in a while. Also I have to go back to work when baby is 12 weeks. :( so I need a stash. But so far Im only getting about 3oz per pump. Ive been pumping once a day.  I have a brand new PIS and find this low amount annoying. I also have an ISIS hand pump that I use when i just need to pump one side while nursing and I really like it. I get more milk when Im using that. Weird huh? 

#24 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Monkey 3 oz is great! Seriously it is. You're LO probably won't take more than that in one feed and a lot of BF babies "hold out" until mama gets home. They tend to snack all day but wait for the main course.

According to kellymom.com depending on home many feeds your LO has in a day, my LO takes in 3oz per feed and she's 17 m/o! Last time I pumped I only got 2 oz.

I have never gotten more than 3 oz.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#25 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't pump unless necessary, which is rare.  But, if DH asked to pump so he could feed the baby, I would.  As long as it wasn't a daily occurrence.  I can imagine my older son asking to feed a new baby someday too.  Now if anyone else asked, NO WAY, so I kind of "get" it.

Mama to three

#26 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

I never pumped.  It was never necessary for us.  I have no intention of pumping with my next unless absolutely necessary (ie nicu or other major issues).  Are there other ways dh can bond with dd?  Dd snuggled with dh a lot, even without feeding involved.  They bonded tons!  We just found away around having anyone else feed her.  

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#27 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM

If you wonder if your husband and baby can bond without him feeding the baby (which most of you probably don't but just in case), here is an adorable story from today:

My 11 month old has had an explosion of mental leaps this week, from repeating everything we say, to pointing and following my finger when I point, to responding to "what's that?" to everything, to following simple commands like, "hand me the block." Well, today she gave us a new one.

She naps in our bed, and generally I can hear her getting up from her nap over the baby monitor long before she talks-- rustles, sighs, etc. Well, today, there was no indication at all she was awake until she bellowed at the top of her lungs, "DAD!" My husband and I jumped and he laughed and went in to get her. When he got in the room, I heard her over the monitor, and she softly and sweetly sighed, "dada." It was so heartbreakingly adorable! And this is the separation anxiety baby who is hysterical if I try to leave the room, or God forbid, someone tries to take her from me.

sosurreal09 likes this.

#28 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 AM

yeah my DD is very bonded to daddy as well. She won't go to bed for the night without him.

#29 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 AM

I have to pump for work and hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. I hate pumping. It makes me crazy.

That said, it is nice to have a reprieve and let someone else feed her sometimes. I think once a month I'll let someone else feed her while I'm home.

#30 of 48 Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM

As far as the bonding. DH and DD bonded tons in many different ways. He did a lot of skin to skin with her. Every night before bed they have a little talk. Now that she responds back its cute and funny. I feel feeding is just one way to bond but also one that I would never take away from DH if he wanted to. For the most part if he was with and she got a bottle he gave it because I didn't like having to do it and he wanted to. 

As far as pumping i only pumped once a day after my supply evened out and would get anywhere from 3 to 4 oz. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page