white noise machine recommendation please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm looking for one that has good volume and a timer, mostly.  under $40 would be great!  but willing to spend more on one rather than less on many, iykwim.

thank you!

momma to my little red-headed son b/d 12/18/05 angel.gif fly angel fly!, to my rainbow girl 03/07heartbeat.gif, and to my second rainbow girl 08/10heartbeat.gif

#2 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM

The Cloud B sleep sheep has a good volume adjuster and goes for 45 minutes. It has 4 choices for sounds; our favorite is the spring showers one.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not exactly a machine, but we have liked the "Happiest Baby on the Block" white noise CD. It lasts about an hour and, of course, has volume control because it's in a CD player.

My first son had a terrible time sleeping but would calm down with water running, so we often put him in his bouncy seat in the bathroom with the tub on full force. I finally got the bright idea to record the tub running and would then play the tape for him. When we moved and no longer had a tape player available, we found this CD. It's been almost six years now and we play it for naps and bed every night! (Though we're no longer using it for the older two, for whom we originally bought it.) It even helps me drown out my DH's snoring (at least a little!). lol.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

heather - lol, too funny!

thanks, aimee!  can the noise go longer than 45 minutes?  i run my 4-year old's fan all night which i know isn't good and wondering if it's continuously spreading sick germs?????

momma to my little red-headed son b/d 12/18/05 angel.gif fly angel fly!, to my rainbow girl 03/07heartbeat.gif, and to my second rainbow girl 08/10heartbeat.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM

No, 45 is the max length. But, I do sometimes go in after 45 minutes and turn it back on, if I can hear her being a bit restless over the monitor.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#6 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM

We have the sleep sheep, the only sound I like is the waves...the waterfall noise makes me want to pee, lol.  I wish it lasted for longer than 45 mintues though.  DD spent the first 4 months in our room and I have become hooked on the sleep sheep, we just moved her into her room and the sheep went with her and I'm thinking I need another one for myself of a different sleep machine for me so I'll be lurking here for good ideas.

For my oldest we use a CD of soft lulabies that just plays on repeat all night.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#7 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM

If you have an iPhone, this app is *awesome*, and cheap :

http://www.tmsoft.com/iphone-whitenoise.html

It was perfect when we were traveling. You can set it to go as long as you want, or to just continuously run. And there are no annoying loops.

Carey
Mama to Charlie (4/08) and Toby (2/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page