NOVEMBER 2010 - Welcome to Life With a Babe! - March Chat Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cannot believe that Rachel is already 5 months!  Other than still spitting up a great deal (and it doesn't seem to bother her), she is just the easiest baby.  Our hose has been on the market since Friday and we already have a showing today (Monday)!!!!!  I'm off to go frantically clean some more.

#32 of 48 Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Nothing particular update on, but here's a video I took the other day that pretty much sums up her milestones:

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#33 of 48 Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM

I found out March 17th, 2010. My doctor had changed my thyroid medication from Armour to Levothroid and it completely threw my cycles out of wack. We were using the Fertility Awareness Method for birth control and we sort of cheated because I was anovulatory and thought February was going to be just like January. I actually got pregnant around day 28 of my cycle! If I hadn't tracked this everyone would have thought the baby was two weeks older than she actually was. I noticed my temperature spike and by day 17 I had a feeling I might be pregnant. 

I drove to the Obgyn's with tears in my eyes and a sinking feeling in my stomach. I was panicking. DH was getting out of the Navy in December which meant we had to leave Hawaii, and we had planned on visiting Europe before he started his next job. I was 25, but I didn't feel ready for a baby. When I got to the office, I took the test and sat there anxiously waiting. The nurse came in and I said, "Am I pregnant?", She said - "Let me see... Yes! You are pregnant!" I broke down crying and she got me some tissues. I was in complete shock (though I guess I shouldn't have been.) My doctor came in and told me that usually everyone is happy about a new baby and not as doom and gloom as me. I was freaking out, worrying about my thyroid, about the fact that I had chemo when I was 15... I worried about everything, really. She calmed me down a lot with her positive attitude and I went home.

DH came home for lunch and I said I had a present for him. I hid the stick in a napkin and gave it to him. He unwrapped it and said..."What does it mean? You aren't pregnant?" He looked at my face and said "..You are?!" We hugged and he was crying tears of happiness. 

I got used to the idea of having a baby after a few months and we look back now and realize Avalon came at the PERFECT time. I did have to fly / move to Florida when I was pregnant, but everything turned out just fine. Avalon was born 11/29/2010 after 33 hours of labor. She was 9lbs, 1oz - 21.5 inches. She was / is healthy and DH was able to spend almost two months at home with the baby and I before he had to resume working. It was really wonderful. We just bought our first house and daddy doesn't ever have to leave on any more deployments or anything again. We are really happy with how it has all worked out.

TODAY:

She is allergic to dairy and soy and after cutting it out of my diet and adding it back I realized I am, too! We both have reactions now. I think I will keep it out of our diets indefinitely. We struggled with reflux and colic in the beginning but that was solved when I figured the allergies out. Otherwise, she is doing new things every day and it is so much fun!

EDIT::: oOo videos! Here is mine! This is a few days after she turned 4 months, so almost a week ago.

#34 of 48 Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM

It's so neat to see all your babies and how much they are growing! Josiah is going to be 5 1/2 months old this week, but he is not quite so big as many of your babes. I haven't weighed him recently, but he was 14 lbs. and 24 3/4 inches about a month ago. He is learning new things all the time. This past week he saw his hands for the first time and learned to play peek-a-boo with me. He has an infectious smile and laugh, and everyone who meets him just loves him. He is definitely attached to me, and he is going through a phase in which he cries almost anytime someone besides myself or his daddy holds him for me than a few minutes. (I'm hoping he grows out of this soon since he has to stay in the church nursery every week!)

Being a mom has been a much more difficult adjustment for me than I ever could have expected. Josiah is a sweet baby, but he can be sort of "needy." I often feel like I have time and energy for nothing else. I'm beginning to adjust, and Josiah is learning to play and keep himself happy longer as well. He also has been struggling with eczema for a couple of months now, and I am only just beginning to get it under control. I've cut out dairy, citrus, strawberries, and am starting to eliminate peanuts from my diet as well to see if that will help. Hopefully I'll figure out what is triggering his skin problems so that he will be more comfortable. He just went through a couple of weeks of "sleep regression," but that appears to be over for now. He usually wakes up to nurse 2 times a night, and I can live with that. :)

Well, that's all for now. Here's a little pic of my lil' cutie!

IMG_6530.JPG

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#35 of 48 Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Cuuute!! LOVE the videos, guys!

Baby Des is 4.5 months now, he is starting to show SO much personality. He's started teething and I think it is determined grunts are hilarious when he is desperately trying to chew on anything. After officially eliminating dairy, egg, soy, peanuts, and (as usual) gluten we have one happy baby! We still deal with crazy awful nighttime gas and he wakes as often as every 30-60 minutes at night, but otherwise we are doing really well.

Wish I had more time to post pics or upload videos, maybe next time!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#36 of 48 Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calliope84 View Post

TODAY:

She is allergic to dairy and soy and after cutting it out of my diet and adding it back I realized I am, too! We both have reactions now. I think I will keep it out of our diets indefinitely. We struggled with reflux and colic in the beginning but that was solved when I figured the allergies out. Otherwise, she is doing new things every day and it is so much fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post

He also has been struggling with eczema for a couple of months now, and I am only just beginning to get it under control. I've cut out dairy, citrus, strawberries, and am starting to eliminate peanuts from my diet as well to see if that will help. Hopefully I'll figure out what is triggering his skin problems so that he will be more comfortable. He just went through a couple of weeks of "sleep regression," but that appears to be over for now. He usually wakes up to nurse 2 times a night, and I can live with that. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrenSquare View Post
Baby Des is 4.5 months now, he is starting to show SO much personality. He's started teething and I think it is determined grunts are hilarious when he is desperately trying to chew on anything. After officially eliminating dairy, egg, soy, peanuts, and (as usual) gluten we have one happy baby! We still deal with crazy awful nighttime gas and he wakes as often as every 30-60 minutes at night, but otherwise we are doing really well.

Is it just me, or are more and more babies having food intolerance issues? Has this always been as much of a problem, and I'm just more aware of it because of E's issues? She has problems with dairy, wheat, legumes, eggs, chicken, turkey, and tomatoes.

#37 of 48 Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM

They are all so cute...and so talented!!!

Maia turns 5 months in a couple of days.  At her 4 month appointment she was almost 12 pounds, so she's not as big as a lot of yours, but is definitely chunking out in her own way.  She's had a cold off and on for a few weeks now, but it doesn't seem to bother her much.  Unfortunately, we've all been sick, so I'm not surprised that she caught something!  She started waking up a ton more at night a little over a month ago, and is maybe finally starting to get a little better.  Even with keeping her in the bed, I was tossing and turning with her and sick of sleeping on my side to nurse her every hour or so (with my arms falling asleep!).  I don't want to jinx myself, but I think last night she was up only 3 times.  I've been so sleep deprived that I don't even know what happened the night before when I wake up in the morning, whereas I used to be able to remember what times she got up and how many times.    

She's a pretty happy kid.  She loves her daddy and is a lot happier than she used to be when I'm working.  She's not a big fan of her swing, but loves her Johnny-jump-up and just lying on her back grabbing at toys.  She has a Bumbo seat with toys around it that she likes sometimes too, but all in all she prefers to be held! love.gif

Nursing is going well, with thrush safely behind us, yet I still get a plugged duct now and again.  I think that me working and pumping has something to do with that.  My supply has stayed good, and I have plenty of milk in the freezer.  Maia does well with the bottle and still loves nursing best (she'll pretty much nurse whenever I offer it to her), so I'm very relieved about that.  I'm working an average of 12 hours a week right now and am going to be working my way up to 16 (which is usually closer to 20, when it comes down to it).  I've been trying to get myself back in shape, but am usually too tired to even think about exercising.  One thing I'm trying to be consistent about is my abdominal exercises, since I had a diastasis (sp?).  I'm also trying to remember to do my kegels!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#38 of 48 Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am amazed at little ones sitting so well, already! Eliana LOVES to stand (supported, at least for balance, of course), but hasn't been sitting as much. Of course, I don't sit her up on her own too often. I did on Wednesday, her 5 month birthday, and was amazed that she can tripod sit! I figured she could, as her brother(s) could at this point, but it's always exciting to see new accomplishments!

She is getting very mobile now! She's rolled a bit since about 2 months, off and on, but now it's constant and willful. She scootches and rotates, too, so she can get to a LOT of stuff already. We're in so much trouble! lol.gif With 3 boys and all of their stuff, it really is going to be a challenge to keep her safe, but hopefully it'll just be an impetus for us to keep the house cleaned up more. redface.gif She's pulling her knees up under her, and alternately pushing up to get her belly off the ground. I'm thinking we'll have crawling in the next 4-6 weeks. bigeyes.gif

She is still super happy and loving. love.gif As I posted earlier, DH started working away from home just a couple of weeks ago. She lights up when he comes home, now. I'm sad that he's not here for her to see all day, but she clearly is excited when he does come home.

I think we'll have teeth before too long. She's been a drooly, chewing mess for a while now. I can feel little ridges on the bottom and I've been able to see the outline of teeth there for quite a while. She's not particularly fussy, though. I've got her in her teething necklace full time, just in case!

She's still really little, but not the smallest, it looks like. She was up to 12-13 on 4/7, almost five months old (five days shy). We're still trying to figure out possible sensitivity issues. The pedi checked again and found blood in her stools, still. greensad.gif She's got mucous on and off - occasionally a lot, but I think that I'm narrowing the cause down. It's been consistent with one particular restaurant, where I always eat the same thing: edamame, and katsu don (rice, fried pork cutlet, egg). So I'm thinking it's either the edamame or the egg. Last time we went, I didn't eat the soybeans, and it seems to be less of a reaction. Obviously, there's soy sauce in all kinds of Asian food, but it seems the straight soybeans are the worst. I'm still curious why her symptoms would've decreased so much when I cut out dairy but NOT soy, though, if it's just soy. Gee, maybe it's both? :/

We're considering going to an ENT to reevaluate her tongue tie and look at the mucocele on her lip. I did lance the mucocele with a sterile lance thing the other day, and it went down in size a lot. But, there's more tissue that may not go away on its own. We'll see. Her nursing is definitely better than it was before the tongue clip and she's gaining consistently (but only 4 ounces a week, very low side of normal). I'm just afraid that dealing with either of these could mean surgery with general anesthesia, which is hard to think of for my little one.

Speaking of surgery and GA, my 9yo DS is doing well with his cast. He's got two rods in his arm, one through the ulna and one through the radius, and so far it's looking as expected. We go back next week to recheck and X-ray it, but he's got another 5 weeks that they expect in the cast, then 2 more months before the rods come out.

Well, DH just came home, complained about the mess DS2 made while trying to clean up, ranted about how "no one ever" does stuff that we already did today, and then took DS3 to bed for a nap when he already knows I feel awful today and really, really need to sleep. Great. irked.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#39 of 48 Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

I am amazed at little ones sitting so well, already! Eliana LOVES to stand (supported, at least for balance, of course), but hasn't been sitting as much. Of course, I don't sit her up on her own too often. I did on Wednesday, her 5 month birthday, and was amazed that she can tripod sit! I figured she could, as her brother(s) could at this point, but it's always exciting to see new accomplishments!

She is getting very mobile now! She's rolled a bit since about 2 months, off and on, but now it's constant and willful. She scootches and rotates, too, so she can get to a LOT of stuff already. We're in so much trouble! lol.gif With 3 boys and all of their stuff, it really is going to be a challenge to keep her safe, but hopefully it'll just be an impetus for us to keep the house cleaned up more. redface.gif She's pulling her knees up under her, and alternately pushing up to get her belly off the ground. I'm thinking we'll have crawling in the next 4-6 weeks. bigeyes.gif

She is still super happy and loving. love.gif As I posted earlier, DH started working away from home just a couple of weeks ago. She lights up when he comes home, now. I'm sad that he's not here for her to see all day, but she clearly is excited when he does come home.

I think we'll have teeth before too long. She's been a drooly, chewing mess for a while now. I can feel little ridges on the bottom and I've been able to see the outline of teeth there for quite a while. She's not particularly fussy, though. I've got her in her teething necklace full time, just in case!

She's still really little, but not the smallest, it looks like. She was up to 12-13 on 4/7, almost five months old (five days shy). We're still trying to figure out possible sensitivity issues. The pedi checked again and found blood in her stools, still. greensad.gif She's got mucous on and off - occasionally a lot, but I think that I'm narrowing the cause down. It's been consistent with one particular restaurant, where I always eat the same thing: edamame, and katsu don (rice, fried pork cutlet, egg). So I'm thinking it's either the edamame or the egg. Last time we went, I didn't eat the soybeans, and it seems to be less of a reaction. Obviously, there's soy sauce in all kinds of Asian food, but it seems the straight soybeans are the worst. I'm still curious why her symptoms would've decreased so much when I cut out dairy but NOT soy, though, if it's just soy. Gee, maybe it's both? :/

We're considering going to an ENT to reevaluate her tongue tie and look at the mucocele on her lip. I did lance the mucocele with a sterile lance thing the other day, and it went down in size a lot. But, there's more tissue that may not go away on its own. We'll see. Her nursing is definitely better than it was before the tongue clip and she's gaining consistently (but only 4 ounces a week, very low side of normal). I'm just afraid that dealing with either of these could mean surgery with general anesthesia, which is hard to think of for my little one.

Speaking of surgery and GA, my 9yo DS is doing well with his cast. He's got two rods in his arm, one through the ulna and one through the radius, and so far it's looking as expected. We go back next week to recheck and X-ray it, but he's got another 5 weeks that they expect in the cast, then 2 more months before the rods come out.

Well, DH just came home, complained about the mess DS2 made while trying to clean up, ranted about how "no one ever" does stuff that we already did today, and then took DS3 to bed for a nap when he already knows I feel awful today and really, really need to sleep. Great. irked.gif

It may well be soy! I read that 50% of babies sensitive to dairy protein will also be allergic to soy. Have you removed everything? I got rid of all obvious dairy and don't eat anything that has dairy / milk in the ingredients. So I can't even have coffeemate or some of the fake butters. I also had to get rid of soy, so that took out the rest of what I might eat. No chocolate, no soymilk, almost no dressings. The only bread I can find is some fresh bread from a local supermarket that doesn't use soybean oil. I also can buy special spelt bread from whole foods. I use coconut milk and coconut creamer and no soy earth balance spread in place of butter. I use our rice cooker (stainless steel, no teflon!) daily to make dinners. I feel better than I ever have. I tried eating soy and dairy again a few weeks ago and we BOTH reacted. I am used to this new diet and I really don't mind it at all. For junk, if I want it, I buy some of the Kettle Brand Chips, make guacamole with soybean oil free tortilla chips, have some Immaculate brand sugar cookies or make hot coconut milk with sugar and cocoa powder (This coconut milk is in the fridge next to soy milk..) 

#40 of 48 Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope84 View Post

No chocolate, 

I wrote up a bunch of dairy/soy/nut-free chocolate recipes the other day :)

http://paleoforpickies.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-not-necessarily-paleo-chocolate.html

#41 of 48 Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Ian will be 5 months old tomorrow! i cant believe it.... he is rolling and starting to scoot sideways/backwards! big chunky boy- was 19 lbs a week and a half ago!

i have been on an elimination diet road too.. right now im staying away from wheat, dairy, and soy indefinitely. (been posting about it on the Facebook chat group!)

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#42 of 48 Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm off FB until Easter - I miss you all over there!  It's great to read about how the LOs are doing.  I'm nak and typing one handed (when am I not??) so I'll keep it short - my arm has some pins and needles from the wonky, def NOT ergonomic way I type/mouse while nursing.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#43 of 48 Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 PM

I found you guys!! I haven't been on much since the birth of lil Piper. She'll be 5 months on 4/24. At her 4 month check up she was 14.4lbs and 26" long. I'm avoiding dairy since she's seems to be sensitive to it like 2 of my other kids. Sometimes I can't believe how laid back she is, but I guess she has to go with the flow since she's #4. It seems like we're always on the run. Piper is just starting to sit unassisted and no longer folding in half when I sit her down. Everything seems to go in her mouth these days. It's hard to believe that 1 year ago I was on progesterone not knowing if she would make it. How time flies!

208051_10150164301140025_606100024_6995079_2719358_n.jpg

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#44 of 48 Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Hi, all.

I can't believe how fleeting this baby stage is. I pulled out cloth diapers today because I have been perpetually behind on laundry for like 4 months or so. He's outgrown most of them! 

Finn was 16 lbs 4 oz and almost 26 inches at his 4 month check up. He moves around a lot by rolling and pivoting. He will sit unsupported at times, but is inconsistent and will dive forward reaching for a toy. I am finally getting the hang of managing everything, thank goodness the semester is almost over. 6 weeks was totally too early to go back to work/school.

We need to keep our chat threads up, like when we are pregnant. This is our March thread and it almost May. Seems a little late to start one for April.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#45 of 48 Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 AM

Yes, defently a new one for May. nod.gif

The twins are getting so big.  The boys have been rolling all over the place after stuff and people.  I love when they sometimes accidentally roll into each other and then give each other this little angry look and then just start laughing.  Wish you all could see it, it's adorable.love.gif

I loved my due date club.  You guys were awesome. I will always be grateful for all of the support you guys gave me through bed rest and the NICU.  luxlove.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#46 of 48 Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I don't know if there's a new thread. Molly will be 6 months old in 3 days. Where has time gone? She's been so irritable and clingy lately, but she seems to be teething. She's hilarious with her screeching and laughing. She loves constant attention from the kids. I just can't help feeling like a bad mom most days. I have so much to do, I don't get to hold her (pain from my rib) or play with her very much.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#47 of 48 Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Desiree, what pain in your rib?

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#48 of 48 Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM

nak

BTW, I took the liberty of starting a new thread for us for May..http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1311100/november-2010-may-chat-thread

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page