stinky diaper area and peeling skin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS's diaper area is stinky. His skin is peeling/flaking a bit as well, especially at the base of his penis and on his scrotum. A little bit in the creases by his thighs too.

He doesn't have a diaper rash and his skin isn't red or irritated. We use cloth diapers (mainly cotton prefolds, with BGs at night) and cloth wipes that are just wet with water. We change him pretty often - every 2ish hours or right away when he poops.

He doesn't seem bothered by it...he HATES diaper changes and tries to roll away, but I think that's normal older baby behavior. :)

Is this yeast? Any ideas on how we can make the stinkies and peelies go away?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Sounds like it may be yeast to me - worth trying to treat, anyway.  I used a cream on baby (just an over the counter vaginal yeast cream Sheepish.gif), but watch out for those diapes - they can just reinfect baby if they have yeast on them. I washed mine with a vinegar soak when my little guy had a yeast diaper rash.

#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Is the diaper itself similarly stinky? What's your diaper laundering process? Do you have hard water in your area? Have you used creams or salves before? Perhaps the dipes and wipes need to be stripped to remove buildup of detergent and other things, which is a big cause of stinkies and could be encouraging bacterial growth. (This might especially apply if you use fabric softeners and/or dryer sheets with some loads of laundry, even if you're not using them with the diapers.)

Aside from changing him as soon as you notice that he's wet, maybe let him have some time to air-dry between changes and after baths?

PatioGardener likes this.

geek.gif wife to geek.gif DH, mum to DS1 (11/08) blahblah.gif  and DS2 (03/11) drool.gif
#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 AM

some naked baby time is really good for rashes and things of that sort. Also like another poster said, vaginal yeast cream is good for yeast if that is what you link it may be :)

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Sounds and smells like our problem.  Naked time is great and cream.  Naked time is a total furniture hazard though.  DS likes to pee sneakily on the furniture.  The ottoman has gotten it twice.  We are thinking of getting puppy pads.  ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page