Bittersweet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Constantly told:  Nursing your babe to sleep will make your child unable to fall asleep without nursing.

My little man was sitting on my lap after his diaper change.  We were playfully fighting over the keyboard (he reaches out and touches as many keys as possible, I move his hands and delete any "words" he has added) as I placed a bid for a job.  He giggled and leaned back and yawned really big.  I asked him if he was sleepy and laid him on the couch, stretching out beside him ready to nurse him down.  He smiled at me, closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Our first nap without the need to nurse or the desire to fuss!  We did it AP style baby. :)

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Oh mama, I know how you feel!!! A few weeks ago, I was really upset when my daughter began nursing, but not falling asleep, and being patted to sleep across my lap. It happened for every sleep for 2 days in a row. I was so scared that she was never going to nurse to sleep again, and I knew I would be a disaster over that. Thankfully, she now goes back and forth between falling asleep nursing and falling asleep after. Now I know too well to cherish our nursing to sleep because she will someday stop doing it.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 PM

My boy can fall asleep on his own and I'm glad he can. I'm a single mama and have no help so for me this is really important. Quite often I'll get into bed with him and start to nurse and when he's done he'll pop off the boob and turn around and make a few cute sounds and then go to sleep on his own. If he isn't ready to sleep yet he'll "play" beside me in bed while I play on the net then he'll fall asleep. It's nice that he can fall asleep on his own and that he still needs to nurse to sleep sometimes.
#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Well, my oldest is 12, and I don't nurse him to sleep, lol.  Somehow, all of my babies have figured out sometime between 12-24 months how to put themselves to sleep.  We've never done CIO, and we've co-slept with all of them.  My baby is not quite 1, and often doesn't nurse to sleep.  Instead, she likes me to lie on my back, and she likes to lie tummy-to-tummy with me so she can just snuggle while she drifts off.  Very peaceful for both of us.

#5 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

To the OP: joy.gif Congrats! It really is a milestone to celebrate.

I love your view of it Aimee, and it helps me to appreciate it and cherish it while it lasts. And, I also look forward to the time when Max gains more sleep independence. I also enjoy nursing him down, it is a time for me to come back to myself and relax, and connect with him. I just don't like it that it always has to be me. He does fall asleep now with others....for example MIL and sometimes Papa, but it's sometimes a struggle.

Max also sometimes nurses down and then pops off on his own and thrusts himself away from me and falls right asleep all sprawled out on the bed in his own space.

I am happy and willing to nurse him down as long as he needs, I want to enjoy it while it lasts, and it's also worthy of celebrating when they can do it on their own.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page