possible ear infection - treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hiya!!

My normally very easy going 10 month old has been having some rough nights.  Woke many times the last few nights, then last night woke up at 1am screaming and inconsolable which is so out of character.  The only other time she acted anything like that was when her only two teeth were popping through.  I eventually gave her baby ibuprofen and she fell asleep on my lap.  She has rubbed her ear a few more times than normal the last couple of days, hasn't been eating as much as normal and is more needy and grumpy.  No fever or anything though.  I don't have a family doctor at the moment, and I am hesitant to take her to a walk in clinic to have them automatically say "put her on antibiotics".  Does it sound like an ear infection?  If she does have one, must she take antibiotics? 

thanks mamas!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 AM

It doesn't necessarily have to be an infection. Just an old-fashioned earache will make you baby just as miserable. Either way I've had good experience with onion compresses - just dice and fry up an onion in a non-stick pan using no oil or fats until to help release the onions own oils. Dump the onion into the middle of a linen towel, wait for it to cool a bit so it dosn't burn your baby and apply it to the offending ear. You can repeat this as often as necessary all day long. But do let a ped have a look at her ear for you just in case. But fyi I've used this on myself with an ear infection and did manage to avoid using antibiotics. If your baby needs antibiotics, but you prefer to skip them, let your ped check her ear every 2- days for progress. You can still change your mind if an infection isn't improving. That happened to my dd this winter. Still, the onion compresses feel good even if you end up giving your child antibiotics.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

It doesn't necessarily have to be an infection. Just an old-fashioned earache will make you baby just as miserable. Either way I've had good experience with onion compresses - just dice and fry up an onion in a non-stick pan using no oil or fats until to help release the onions own oils. Dump the onion into the middle of a linen towel, wait for it to cool a bit so it dosn't burn your baby and apply it to the offending ear. You can repeat this as often as necessary all day long. But do let a ped have a look at her ear for you just in case. But fyi I've used this on myself with an ear infection and did manage to avoid using antibiotics. If your baby needs antibiotics, but you prefer to skip them, let your ped check her ear every 2- days for progress. You can still change your mind if an infection isn't improving. That happened to my dd this winter. Still, the onion compresses feel good even if you end up giving your child antibiotics.

This and ....

warmed mullein oil drops in the ear are very soothing. You just can't put anything in the ear if the eardrum is ruptured.

It doesn't hurt to have a dr. look in the ear and tell you if it is infected or buldging. If you wait it out they mostly clear up by themselves. Also, garlic oil drops help kill bacteria.

We had 2 years of ear infections here. No fun

Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 AM

Our pediatrician recommends Willow/Garlic Ear Oil and Chamomila for ear infections.  We generally do a week of that 4x a day before considering antibiotics.  Hope your little one feels better soon!

Alissa: married to dh since 05/2006 and mama to Solomon (08/2009) and Ezra (04/2012).

User Tag List