Is it expensive to have a baby in the US? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With ds I had Optima through my job, what I considered to be pretty decent insurance, and the bill was between 10-12K (can't remember exactly because I disputed and had some things removed). I paid $2K out of pocket and paid cash for my doula's services, which were a few hundred dollars. ds was a full term baby delivered vaginally with no complications. They did however put demerol in my IV against my wishes nd then charged me for it!!! I also had some pretty major sewing up down there because ds ripped me wide open. That was factored in too.

With dd I had no meds and no drugs whatsoever, and a fairly short labor (they broke my water at 3 or 4 PM and I delivered at 11:30). That was covered by Medicaid and I never even  saw the statement.

Every time I have been without insurance inevitably one of my dc (or me) has had some sort of crisis involving the ER and subsequent outrageous bills flooding my mailbox. My credit is terrible because of this. I have 21 negative accounts on my credit that are all medical bills. The only other negative thing on there is a very old, rather large library fine. :hide 

Medical care in the US is ridiculous.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

dd was a home birth (no insurance) paid 3k- SO worth it.

ds was uc so he was free.

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM

I have insurance, Kaiser.  DS was at a freestanding birth center with midwives.  I paid $10 at the first pre-natal visit and that was it.  DD was at a hospital.  I paid the $10, then was surprised with a bill for 10% of the hospital bill, which came out to $400 or something.  For whatever reason, I guess I thought it was going to be just the $10 like at the birth center.  

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 PM

I am delivering in June, and my hospital provided me with a cost break down and it will be about $10,000 WITH prenatal care and immediate in hospital well-infant care, but not including any lab tests or ultrasounds. A homebirth midwife would be $3500 plus $500 travel for my area.  If I select an in-network provider with my health insurance, I pay ONLY a $100 global co-payment which includes labs and US if I have them at the clinic. Otherwise, I pay 20% of those services.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's insane how much these bills are! Heathcare costs in the US are just absolutely ridiculous. I don't get how they (the hospitals) can justify it, other than the fact that if they charge it, people will pay it. It's nothing more than price gouging.

DS was born in Texas in 2005. Thankfully, I was military, but the base didn't do births, so I went to a civilian hospital and I got a copy of the bill. DS was a C-section, no induction, three days in the hospital, no NICU. $16,000. That's just for the three days in the hospital, no prenatal, postnatal, or pediatrician. That doesn't even include my OB because she was military, so essentially free.

The fee for the Oxihood DS used was almost $1000. That's not including the oxygen hooked onto it, just the hood itself. They charged almost $1000 just to set a plastic bowl over his head! It's reusable, so they're not buying a new one for every patient, so they're charging this over and over again. That's just mind-boggling.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM

I agree with the people who have said that costs in the US are out of control.  I think that we should have a universal system with controlled costs. Seriously, $35 for one Tylenol? Just buy a freaking bottle at Walgreens!  I wish we could move to a country that had universal health care.. we would be there in a heartbeat.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM

My c-section delivery plus 8 day NICU stay for my son came to about $200k, including $70k just for my surgery. Fortunately medi-cal paid for that.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM

about the $35 tylenol: an acquaintance of mine had a family member with chronic pain, so when she went to the hospital to have her baby she brought (with her permission) a couple prescription strength ibuprofen or whatever it was. her insurance was only paying a portion because it was a pre existing condition. so to cut down on expenses she brought her own pain meds for after the birth. lol

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:

It's insane how much these bills are! Heathcare costs in the US are just absolutely ridiculous. I don't get how they (the hospitals) can justify it, other than the fact that if they charge it, people will pay it. It's nothing more than price gouging. 

And this is where the problem is.  Because the bill is run through insurance, most people don't even pay attention to it.  And even when they do, it doesn't really register because it's not actual dollars actually going through their wallet.  For most folks, X dollars come out of their paycheck for insurance, then they have Y copay, and that's the extent of their attentiveness to the cost of their health care. 

Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I haven't seen any bills yet. But I expect I'll meet my deductible. Fortunately, I have medicaid to pick up the difference. Hopefully my insurance will pay out part of my homebirth provider's fee--if not, I still owe her $1200. DS's birth was a planned homebirth that had to emergency transfer to the hospital and ended in C-section. Expensive.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

User Tag List