baby supplies that are easily forgoten - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to be completely prepared for this baby. With DD we had a lot of things already on hand at home what we were able to use for her needs. I am not into the "gadgets" and already have all of the big items like car seat, carriers, clothes and tub. I am trying to come up with a list of small supplies to pick up closer to birth and having a hard time remembering what exactly we needed for DD/me in the first couple days.
So far I came up with
-diapers
-wipes
-wash cloths
-lanolin cream
-shampoo/body wash
What else would I need?
#2 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Do you use nursing pads?  Or vit. D drops?

#3 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM

I totally forgot great big maxi pads.  Had to send the MIL out to get them.  Also, witch hazel.

#4 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Motrin/Tylenol for PP uterine cramping.  Mine were pretty bad with 2nd DS and lasted longer than w/ 1st DS.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#5 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Pain meds for PP. 

maxi pads

Witch Hazel I used the pads(tucks) the hospital gave me.

nursing pads was something I forgot. Had to go out and get some right away. 

Some don't do it anymore but some do with the umbilical cord. But alcohol pads or q-tip and alcohol. I like the pads much easier and quicker for me.

#6 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

- I liked vit e. oil for my sore nips the first time. (didn't need it second time.) 

- also colase - that stool softener stuff.

- nursing pads for when your milk comes in

- those teeny tiny nail clippers for their claws!

- food for you that you can eat fast - mondo calories. I found that in the beginning I would be suddenly famished.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#7 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM

stuff i used for the newborn stage:

q-tips for the belly button

disposable diapers with the belly button area cut out for the few days around when it fell off and was sensitive

nipple shield was great to use off and on as needed the first two weeks

vaseline to coat the neck folds when constant spit up was making it susceptible to stuff growing in there

diaper rash cream - that first tube lasted forever

extra prefold cloth diapers to use as spit up rags - way better than receiving blankets

swaddle me blanket thingy

a really good snot aspirator + saline drops

thermometer

baby oil for cradle cap

dreft detergent for washing clothes, including our clothes

bibs bibs bibs

socks socks socks

hair brush

baby book

extra memory stick or external hard drive to back-up your pictures and videos

spray bottle full of water would have been nice for cleaning self using the restroom the first few days after birth. was sore and cold water was good.

#8 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Instead of Tucks pads, I used the Preparation H cloths.  They are bigger and softer.  You can fold them to make a compress that feels like heaven too.

All I really needed right away was onsies, swaddling blankets, and a huge cup with a lid and straw for ice water.

#9 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not baby supplies per se, but in the couple months before the birth I cooked double of everything and stored loads of meals in the freezer. It was great to be able to thaw out yummy, nutritious home-cooked meals in those first weeks PP as there was no way I was cooking then, DH doesn't cook, and we wanted a private babymoon so were alone. thumb.gif

ETA: oh yeah, don't forget a swaddle cloth/blanket!!!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#10 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Not baby supplies per se, but in the couple months before the birth I cooked double of everything and stored loads of meals in the freezer. It was great to be able to thaw out yummy, nutritious home-cooked meals in those first weeks PP as there was no way I was cooking then, DH doesn't cook, and we wanted a private babymoon so were alone. thumb.gif

ETA: oh yeah, don't forget a swaddle cloth/blanket!!!

yeahthat.gif

I had big, big plans to cook and freeze lots of food.  Then, between feeling so exhausted in the final weeks, and DD coming 2 weeks early, I think I only had a few batches of zucchini muffins and a few soups frozen.  If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would have forced myself to cook and freeze much, much more, because it was nearly impossible to cook anything nutritious at first and eating like crap definitely made the first few weeks even more tiring.

And a big hell's yeah for the swaddle cloth/blanket!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#11 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Our baby needed next to nothing...diapers, wipes, a few items of clothing.  ME, on the other hand...as a PP said, I needed FOOD and lots of it.  I have never wanted or needed so much food in my life.  I guess it was the breastfeeding, but for the first month or two, I was so, so hungry.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#12 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM

Yeah, we did a "feed the freezer" weekend where we cooked, bagged/packaged and froze enough food for 2 months' worth of dinners! And then the other thing that helped a lot was tons of easy to eat food. I also realized after the fact that a "nursing basket" was a great idea, so for the next baby I'll be setting one up in advance! Mine had snacks (some sweet, some salty), lanolin, tissues, remotes, my Kindle, my phone, and my crocheting in it. I also keep a 2 quart water bottle nearby. During those marathon nursing sessions, I had everything I needed!

As for those little things you mentioned above, the only one I didn't use was shampoo/baby wash. Babies don't need it, if you ask me. We did use gentle oil, though, in our case coconut or grapeseed. Excellent for baby massage, for cradle cap if necessary, for making it really easy to get meconium off, and so on.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#13 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM

i thought it was pretty easy to find time to cook meals during the newborn stage since dd slept most of the time.  i know a lot of people like to do it but if it was me i wouldn't spend too much of your final baby-free time cooking unless you like cooking. (i hate cooking)

#14 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM

I think that really depends on your baby. Mine slept a ton too-- but only on me. So I was relegated to the couch for a lot of the time, and found our freezer meals to be indispensable.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#15 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM

can your husband cook? i only ask because i've never met people irl who felt obligated to make a bunch of meals before the birth of a baby. usually if the mom can't do it the dad can.

#16 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 01:06 PM

I froze a bunch of food right before birth (it came in REALLY handy!) and I personally know at least two other ladies who did the same and loved it :) Different strokes for different folks. I can't imagine spending time away from baby in the first two weeks. It was so heavenly to be able to just hang out in bed, cuddle my hubby and baby, watch movies, and eat pre-cooked-and-frozen meals :) 

Knitting Mama likes this.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#17 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Completely forgot I started this thread. LOL. Thank you for the advise. Seems like I already have most of the things on hand or in the to buy list, except baby detergent, baby oil and a big cup. Food wise I am very lucky! MY Smom coming in to take care of us a week before my due date and will stay for three weeks. She is a great cook. In case of her not making it on time, we live on campus and are on meal plan, so my DH would just need to bring it up to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page