iodine supplementation in case of radiation fallout - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of in the western part of the U.S. with babies, whose planning on taking the recommended dosage of iodine if you're breastfeeding and are you also planning on giving your babies the recommended dosage as well?  I'm very disturbed, to say the least, both of the possible radiation fallout from the nuclear plants exploding in Japan, but also of how much iodine the CDC is recommending people to take very soon.  130 mg for nursing mothers and an additional 16 mg for babies under one month of age (my LO is 1 week old).  Apparently anything over 1 mg is considered overdosing and can result in vomiting, diarrehea, abdominal pain, weak pulse, even coma.  So it is incredibly alarming that they recommend such extreme dosages, even for newborns.  They make it sound like it's either this or thyroid cancer yikes.gif  There's gotta be a better, safer way to prevent radiation from binding in the body...anyone have any suggestions or what they plan on doing (or not doing)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm confused?

but also of how much iodine the CDC is recommending people to take very soon.

Has the CDC been stating that people in the western US need to take iodine soon?

As far as I know, everything they have stated has said there is little risk, and most would dissapate in the Pacific.

If anything, the US was testing bombs for years in the Pacific, and there was far more radiation fallout from that than what would get here from the nuclear plants.

They make it sound like it's either this or thyroid cancer yikes.gif  There's gotta be a better, safer way to prevent radiation from binding in the body.  Iodine is absorbed by the thyroid gland. It will either absorb radioactive or non-radioactive iodine. If you take iodine, then it can't absorb the radioactive iodine.  This only takes into account radioactive iodine, though.

So, no... at this point, I do not plan on doing anything.

Tammy

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Yeah, everything I have heard indicates that there is very, very, very little radiation danger even to people within 5 miles of the Japanese nuclear plant. I'm not planning on taking anything. I believe I read that it would take 6 weeks of 24/7 exposure to the radiation for it to have even a miniscule effect on people.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Some people are really concerned...my partner is one of them.  He's bought iodine supplements and plans on taking them.  All the stores around here are completely sold out of iodine...the website he bought his from today was almost sold out.  There's conflicting news being spread around, apparently.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM

It ONLY protect your thyroid from damage.... it doesn't protect the rest of you. While it is great to have on hand in the case of some local disaster, the reality is if one is taking it, the rest of one's body is still exposed to radiation, though. In addition, it is only protected the thyroid from radiactive iodine... radioactive cesium can also impact one.

My point is that even if one believes that somehow that much radiation is going to reach the coast, KI is only protecting one a bit.

Tammy

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 PM

I'm a Snopes lover over here, and ironically, was just emailed this article:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/fallout.asp

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM

I know men working in the area helping with cleanup that were found with radiation on them... the amount they had on them, in the actual area where this is all happening, is only equal to the amount of background radiation you have in a month.

This is within miles of the nuclear plants. Pretty sure if they are getting that tiny bit, you won't get any on the other side of the Pacific.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

I'm a Snopes lover over here, and ironically, was just emailed this article:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/fallout.asp

Snopes rocks! Thanks for shedding some light.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have become obsessed with this. I have a two year old and am pregnant (so can't take potassium iodide).  I know the radiation is most severe for children, so I'm wanting to do what ever is best for my daughter. I feel like there's tons of info out there saying nothing will get to California and other info saying it will. I'm not sure what to believe. Does anyone know if this website is reliable? I read this article this morning and am freaked out. It has a youtube video showing the jet stream going over the pacific.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaggyc View Post

I have become obsessed with this. I have a two year old and am pregnant (so can't take potassium iodide).  I know the radiation is most severe for children, so I'm wanting to do what ever is best for my daughter. I feel like there's tons of info out there saying nothing will get to California and other info saying it will. I'm not sure what to believe. Does anyone know if this website is reliable? I read this article this morning and am freaked out. It has a youtube video showing the jet stream going over the pacific.

Hi Mama,

We're in Los Angeles so I have been concerned as well. I don't know how reliable the site you linked to is but I just received this email update from Dr.Jay Gordon:

http://drjaygordon.com/in-the-news/radiation-concerns-japan-to-west-coast.html

I don't know if you're familiar with Dr. Gordon but he's written several books about holistic pediatric medicine and is quite well known in California as an advocate of natural parenting (no circ, no vax, pro-breastfeeding, pro-family bed, etc.). I've seen him interviewed on shows like "60 Minutes" and "Nightline" and have come to respect and generally agree with his views/opinions. He believes that there's no cause for alarm or iodine supplements as of yet, which has put my mind somewhat at ease. I hope reading what he has to say may help you as well. Pregnancy is stressful enough without worrying about radiation!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM

I'm a bit scared too. We're on the west coast of Canada. At first I was annoyed with the media freaking everyone out (like they did with H1N1) and making the situation worse but then I started reading more and thought hmmm maybe I need to dig a bit deeper. The Canadian gov't is saying there is very little to no risk. I think what freaks me out is that they are making this announcement based on how things are right now and also with apparently limited info. Not all information is being shared with other countries and if things get worse and more dangerous I'm worried we'll find out too late! I came across a link to Greenpeace's perspective...an interesting view to hear from.

The whole situation is really quite terrifying and has made me very, very sad for the world that my daughter is growing up in :(

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 AM

We're on the west coast of Canada as well. I might try to serve a little more miso (the refrigerated kind) but that's all we plan to do. I had read that the amount of radiation released at the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was much greater than this will likely be and there's no evidence that any significant amount of that radiation ever reached western Canada...

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 AM

I've been following this idea and what's been going on and am not concerned. I actually feel like I should be taking iodine anyway to lower my breast cancer risk but not because of radiation. We are so far from Japan and what is left coming to the West Coast will be very minimal.

I really feel for those IN Japan who are so bad off just from the earthquake and tsunami to then worry about radiation. guilty.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 AM

Well, I guess we'll find out soon how high the levels are. The interactive maps they are posting are showing it hitting the US by Friday. I agree, so sad to have my daughter and future son grow up in this.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess we'll find out soon how high the levels are. The interactive maps they are posting are showing it hitting the US by Friday. I agree, so sad to have my daughter and future son grow up in this.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science

Read the article next to it. It specifically says: 

"Health and nuclear experts emphasize that any plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States." and explains that map is only to show when certain radiation detection stations may pick up tiny amounts of radiation.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Trying to stay calm. But, if there is a meltdown, I will panic. I just read this-

Urgent radiation preparedness action items for California, Oregon, Washington, B.C., Yukon and Alaska

Learn more:http://www.NaturalNews.com/031731_radiation_preparedness.html#ixzz1GtLgdVD8

Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Trying to stay calm. But, if there is a meltdown, I will panic. I just read this-

Urgent radiation preparedness action items for California, Oregon, Washington, B.C., Yukon and Alaska

Learn more:http://www.NaturalNews.com/031731_radiation_preparedness.html#ixzz1GtLgdVD8

This really is the worst sort of fear mongering, conspiracy theory nonsense. I recommend you stop reading it immediately, go outside for a walk and cut yourself off from media for the rest of the evening. 

Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm not panicking, mainly because I live in the western prairies(and yet people here are panicking wth?) Iodine is only effective in preventing thyroid cancer, it can also be easily overdosed. The consequence of too much iodine is thyroid dysfunction which I'm sure no one wants to deal with. 

The supplement of choice at the moment, if anyone is that worried. should be Melatonin. along with heavy duty antioxidants. But noooo...everyone wants iodine.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Good idea. I'm going to try to do some errands and go about normal things.

User Tag List