Gym with a babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night I visited one of those 24-hour gyms that is near our home. It's fancy and open and not crowded. I did the elliptical machine as a guest with my 2-month old giggling and cooing at me in her car seat beside me. It was awesome. She liked watching me and the other activity around us. It has been so rainy and cold here. She wasn't in anyone's way. She got a lot of positive attention from the gym-goers.

Today I went back to sign up to join the club and was told I could not bring her. I am so disappointed. The manager said that a 2-year old came one time and caused trouble, thus she cannot allow me to bring the little one. I calmly mentioned the vast difference btw 2-months and 2 years, but she did not want to make an exception.

I am tempted to join the gym anyways and just come after hours with my babe for a quick workout when I don't have other childcare options. I'm very much a play-by-the-rules person, but I want to make this work. I know it is rather delusional to expect to have the freedoms of my pre-motherhood life, but this one seems within reach for a few months :-).

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM

The gym I have a membership for has a child care place in it, that will take babies 6mths and older.  My DS is 4mths so I have 2mths left before I can bring him in.  Does this gym offer that, or is there another gym by you that does?

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#3 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You really think you won't get caught? All it takes is one complaint from another customer, or one employee to mention it to another....and they could revoke your membership without a refund.

I personally wouldn't even try. I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy thinking that someone might tell on me.

Do you have a partner, or for that matter a friend or family member who could stay with the baby when you go to the gym? That's how I do it.

GL!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM

I agree with P.J.  It would take only one complaint from another patron (and believe me, it will come) and you could lose your membership for breach of contract.  I recommend getting childcare (maybe there's another mom at the gym you could trade off with?) and using your gym time as "me" time.

Or, perhaps you could buy an elliptical and exercise at home?

Anetta, earthmama in the City lady.gif  Wife and best friend to DH reading.gif, SAHM to our little princess Leda dust.gif and furbabies Hans and Heidi  dog2.gifdog2.gif

Happily expecting a pair of "oops!" twins in October!  oops.gif  oops.gif

#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM

Ugh. It's so sad that we live in such an adultist society.

Is your baby breastfed? Not a question of judgment, of course, but it could help. I would ask to speak to the owner or supervisor of the gym, compliment their facilities/atmosphere and be sure to give her/him kudos. Then politely point out that nursing babies need to be with their mothers - that you were disappointed when you heard that your immobile babe-in-arms could not peacefully accompany you to their lovely establishment, and that friendliness towards breastfeeding infants is a major point for new moms in the area.  I would really push the issue as one of being accessible to a particular market.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#6 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 AM

That's too bad.  I've belonged to a 24 hr. gym right by my house for a few years now, and the manager said I could bring my little guy (also two months old).  I've done it a few times, but certainly wouldn't with out permission.  You're likely to get caught and since you've been explicitly told not to bring her, I really wouldn't.  A lot of those places have cameras in them too.  Sorry the manager wasn't more understanding.  Tough for a two month old to cause the chaos that a two year old might.

#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Honestly it is also probably a safety risk for them to allow your child to be there - a baby in a carseat on the floor could so easily be injured by someone not paying attention while walking amongst the machines, especially if they are carrying free weights. Why not try. And find a club where child care is provided - my club includes 2 hours of child care daily for all members and my girls love it! If that isn't an option I think getting a machine for home would be your best bet.
#8 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback thus far!

The gym has no contract, you just pay month to month. 

There is a gym with childcare but it is much more expensive, crowded, and further from home.

My baby is exclusively breastfed.

I think I'll go back later and speak with the manager again with some of Habitat's points. It couldn't hurt. I'd still like to go there even if I can't bring my angel babe. :-D

#9 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM

I am a member at my local YMCA, and they take babies in the gym childcare center starting at six weeks old for an hour max.  Now, I didn't drop my son off there until he was about five months old, but he LOVES it.  I get my work out in (never more than an hour) and he gets to hang out with the other kids.  The workers love him and he likes them; they seem to do really well with the kids.  Anyway, I know several gyms in my area offer childcare options while you work out.  Maybe there's one near you?  If you're not comfortable leaving your baby yet, then you could look into childcare gym options for a few months from now.  

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#10 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly I think it is one of those slippery slope things. They allow one person with a quiet, calm babe in a carseat & before they know it they have a 8 month crawler screaming.

My gym is a small local gym with 24 hour access & I don't think I would even ask (& I'm good friends with the owners) 'cause I know it will just cause them issues in the future.

I have thought it would be nice to do exactly what you said you did though - especially with a babe that is quiet & immobile.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page