How often do you bathe your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 10 moths old and I don't give him a bath every day, but he is eating a lot of solids now so I do bathe more often than when he was really little.  What do you do?  How often do you bathe your LO? 

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 AM

dd (5 months) spits up a lot so she gets a quick bath every night as part of her bedtime routine. if we miss a day because she fell asleep unexpectedly early she is pretty stinky by morning.

#3 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Once a week. He is 20 months now but we have been on the same bath schedule since he was itty bitty.

I don't enjoy the bathing ritual; it stresses me out. So once a week it is. Not to mention I don't really see a reason to bathe him more often. He doesn't get really dirty (although I'm sure that will change soon) and he doesn't smell. So shrug.gif.

I only wash his hair about once a month. He HATES it.
#4 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM

11 months old

He bathes with me 2x a week and 1x in his baby tub. We wash his hair 2x a week.

familybed1.gif SAHM, mother to Hunter a happy, sensitive, determined boy born March 28 2010,bftoddler.gif, IVF miracle family, selectivevax.gif, Fibrowarrior, slingboy.gif, goorganic.jpg
#5 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Every day for the most part. Our routine is dinner between 5 & 6 PM and then bath immediately after. I undress dd as soon as she finishes eating and she sits on the potty while I run the bathwater. Then she and ds get in together and play while I clean the bathroom or sort laundry in the hallway (where I can still keep an eye on them). We usually put a little soap or bubble bath in the water for bubbles so they come out smelling clean anyway. Ds is required to scrub his stinky little self every night and I check to make sure he did it. dd, I only "scrub" maybe every other day. I wash her hair 2x a week and condition 3-4x a week to keep it from drying out. But both of my kids are very into their bath and will sit in there until the water is freezing and they look like raisins!

Occasionally we skip a day but it makes bedtime harder for dd so I try not to.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#6 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM

My little one is 4.5 months old and I bathe him twice a week. Once he starts eating solids I'm sure there will be many more baths!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#7 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM

I don't believe that people in general, and babies specifically, need as much washing as Western culture espouses, and especially not as much hair washing. Cecilia is 11 months old, and she gets in the shower or takes a bath about once a week to 10 days, sometimes upwards of 2 weeks. No soap or shampoo either; I don't think she needs it. I will wipe a spot here or there, like to get dinner off of her face, but I don't think it necessitates a full bath.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#8 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM

I bathe him or take him in my shower whenever I feel like it. We don't have a routine for anything around here. His bum gets a wipe at every poopy diaper change of course. If his neck or ears are stinky from spit up then they get a quick wash before bed or before we go out. He usually gets a good shower or bath 1-2 times a week.
#9 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

My baby is 6 months and gets a bath about once a week unless he's had an especially messy dinner.  I don't usually bother with soap or washing his hair since I don't want to dry out his skin and hair.  We approach baths as recreational for Reece so that he is comfortable and enjoys being in the water. 

#10 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

When I think of it, LOL

#11 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM

My DD will be 12 weeks old next weekend. Since she was born I bathed with her once every week to 10 days, and she has enjoyed her baths from day one. I got her ears pierced a week and a half ago, and they instructed me to care for her ears by cleaning them during baths/showers only, so we started bathing daily. Well, she loves her baths even more now! So I think we'll continue with more frequent "fun" baths, but I still only use baby soap once every week or two. (I can't wait to start swimming lessons when she's 6 months old!!)

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#12 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

My 4-month-old son gets in the bath with me or his dad pretty much every evening as part of his bedtime routine. He really seems to enjoy it, so it's definitely recreational more than functional (we only actually soap him up about once every week or so). When he was teenier and hated the bath, we bathed him maybe every 10 days, if that. 

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#13 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM
MJB

We did it when she spit up on herself as a tiny baby-- probably twice a week. Now we usually do 1-2 a day because she gets food in her hair or squished between her toes. Most of the time it's after breakfast (yogurt, banana, oatmeal, and greasy eggs are her main breakfast foods). She's 8 mos. 

#14 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM

We do recreational bathing with either me or DH probably once a week, but I don't remember the last time we used soap on him. He's six months.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#15 of 37 Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Since birth we've bathed DS 1-2 times a week. It's been once a week for a while now though since I'm pregnant and tired. He's 23mo.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#16 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

We bath our almost 10 m.o. everyday. She loves it and it has become part of the bedtime routine and a special time with Daddy. We also live in the tropics and she gets *very* sweaty, especially on her head which seems to make her itchy and uncomfortable.

When she was less mobile and it was cooler we didn't bath her nearly as often. It was about weekly for quite a while but I can't remember exactly when we started the nightly bath routine.

She also showers with us sometimes but usually that's more for fun or because I'm home alone.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#17 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 AM

DD is 11 months and we have been giving her about one bath a week and showering with her about once a week - so two times per week or so. She doesn't have any visible dirt, she doesn't smell, she HATES being dressed and undressed, and DH and I are usually so tired that it has not been part of our regular routine.  DD likes baths just fine, I just don't really see the point in bathing her more than 1-2x per week unless it's just for fun. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#18 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 AM

dd is 8 months. she gets a once a week bath, and only that often because her hair gets greasy. when she was tiny and having reflux issues it was more like twice a week because she was getting covered in vomit. she has eczema pretty bad, so i avoid water on her skin unless it's really needed.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#19 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM

DS is 1 and gets a bath every night.  He loves to splash and play in the water and the limited number of toys and space to play in seems to help relax him before bed.  He gets his hair washed each night (it seems to get itchy if I skip this) and the rest and couple times a week.  He has a little loofah he plays with and likes soap on it.  His belly is very very clean orngbiggrin.gif

#20 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm so glad to read this!  I felt like the worst mom on earth, I bathe my son just once a week.  He hates bath time.  I've always thought that maybe it's because we don't do it often enough for him to get used to it, but he really doesn't need any more bathing...

#21 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
mra

DD is almost 12 weeks. She only gets a bath once a week.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#22 of 37 Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM

If I realize it's been a week, I'll throw her in the tub.  She's not a big fan.  I get in with her.  She's 12 weeks...

#23 of 37 Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM

My daughter will be 3 months this coming Friday.

We were doing baths only every 2-3 days in the very beginning, but she loves them so much that she gets them every night now, as the start of her bedtime routine.

No problems with skin drying out, as she gets a lotion massage right afterward. :)

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#24 of 37 Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post

My daughter will be 3 months this coming Friday.

We were doing baths only every 2-3 days in the very beginning, but she loves them so much that she gets them every night now, as the start of her bedtime routine.

No problems with skin drying out, as she gets a lotion massage right afterward. :)

This. Word for word... except my DD will be 3 months on Saturday lol.gif

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#25 of 37 Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 PM

When he needs it- about once a week. He likes bathtime (bathes with DH) so if we give him several in a week we don't use soap every time. Babies don't need that much bathing unless they are covered in food or dirt.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#26 of 37 Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 AM

When she was EBF I gave her a bath about once a month!! Otherwise just spot cleaning as needed.

Now that she's started eating some solids it's working out at more like once or twice a week.  Really only as needed though.  Both my girls have dry skin and though I oil them up after baths/showers I still don't want to dry their skin out more than necessary.  I have dry skin too and find that the more often I shower the drier it gets.  

And really, little babies don't get stinky like grown-ups.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#27 of 37 Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM

With my first, I felt like a bad mom if I didn't bathe him every night.  Now with #4, it's definitely on a needs-basis.  So... maybe 2 times per week for real baths with the occasional sponge bathe when needed.  In the summer, it will probably be more.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#28 of 37 Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 PM

DS is 10 months old. We always joke that we only give him 1 or 2 baths a month.smile.gif. While this is true its not how it sounds... we go swimming 2-3 times as week so he gets a good wash after swimming. The other morning I actually decided he needed a bath and took him to the pool! He loves the water and if I'm going to go through the dressing and undressing we may as well make it even more fun!!!

#29 of 37 Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

I try to bathe him 1x a week but sometimes it's once every two weeks, although I hope to start doing it more often. In the past week or so, I've started bringing him to the shower and I think it calms him down. My son has a lot of hair and it gets smelly because he sweats a lot so I'm hoping to get that washed at least 2x a week now. He really doesn't need it though :)

surf.gif West Coast Momma to Seb since 10/10, venturing into SAHMing, bfinfant.gif,slingboy.gif. I make good blueberry muffins ROTFLMAO.gif
#30 of 37 Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 PM

It is really humid here in Hawaii so I wash my 6 month old son about 2-3x a week, just to get his rolls cleaned out, ha ha. He gets lint in there and it gets red and irritated if I don't wash it out. He is getting big for the infant tub in the sink, so I am planning to start bringing him into the shower more with me. We only have a walk in shower, no tub, but he doesn't seem to mind the water in his eyes or anything. I park him in the Bumbo while I shampoo and soap myself. I agree with PP that we take way more showers than necessary in Western culture and I try to take only 2 or 3 myself a week. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page