What colour were your babe's eyes at birth, and what colour are they now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The title says it all.  Also, how old was your LO when their eye colour "settled"?

C was born with the typical blue-grey "neutral" newborn eyes. Now, at 12 weeks old, they are starting to change. They are starting to look more marbled, still mostly grey with a dark blue ring around the iris. My eyes are green and DH's are brown; the predominant eye colour in both families is brown, but DD's eyes are nowhere near brown! My grandfather is the only one I know of that had grey-blue eyes.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#2 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Both had deep dark black pools for the first several months.  They lightened to a medium brownish by about a year.  We weren't expecting any other color though, both have brown eyes, from long lineages of brown brown brown eyes.  :)

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#3 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Blue at birth, and still blue now. But now at 11 months they can twinkle with excitement, pout with disappointment, and dance with joy love.gif

#4 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

DS1's eyes were steel grey at birth, slowly turned hazel over the course of his first 8 months or so.

DS2's eyes were steel grey at birth, but were chocolate brown by three months.  DARK chocolate brown.

FWIW, I have amber colored eyes, DH has dark chocolate brown eyes.  My father had blue eyes, but he's the only one on either side, so I think our chances of having a blue eyed child are pretty slim.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM

all three started with dark gray/blue and have now turned blue ( i have an 8year old, 4year old and 6 month old)

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#6 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Dh and I both have blue. Both our girls went from dark blue to a lighter blue by about 3 months. My niece had blue for a couple years but they have gradually changed to a green/ hazel colour. She is 6 now.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#7 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Dark brown and dark brown. His haven't changed at all.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#8 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Forum crashing!  DD's eyes were the bluest blue when she was born and up til about 8-9 months, then started turning greeny brown.  Now they are the most gorgeous shade of green at 2.5 years old.  DH has brown and I have blue.  Strange!  Last thing we expected!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM

blue and blue.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#10 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM

My first two had blue eyes until around 18 months when they turned Hazel.

Little miss Mae, whom is now 5 months old... is starting to get a ring of bright green around the iris... but this has only started recently.

Most babies do not settle on their permanent eye color until they are 12-24 months old... and SOME people never do. I have pictures of me with bright blue eyes throughout school and now they're light gray. My father has pictures of himself at my age with hazel eyes that are now gray.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#11 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM

My DD had the prettiest blue eyes until she was 8 years old!  No joke - i have pictures to prove it!  I always noticed that when she was dressed in purple or red, her gorgeous blue eyes would turn to a jade green color  - one day when she was 8 - they just never turned back.  They are like dark celery colored ...still beautiful -but i thought 8 was WAY too old for things to change!   My DS#1 was born with brown eyes with a bluish cast over them and by 3 months they were brown. 

This new baby has blue and they will STAY blue as both DH#2 and i have blue eyes!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#12 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM

DD was born with striking blue eyes and at 11 months they have not changed at all.  It's funny though, I had blue eyes until I was in my early to mid twenties when they shifted to more green. DH's eyes are brown like his father's. Both my parents have blue eyes and DH's mother has blue eyes. At this point I would be surprised if DD's eyes changed to anything but maybe a blue green like mine. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#13 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post

The title says it all.  Also, how old was your LO when their eye colour "settled"?

C was born with the typical blue-grey "neutral" newborn eyes. Now, at 12 weeks old, they are starting to change. They are starting to look more marbled, still mostly grey with a dark blue ring around the iris. My eyes are green and DH's are brown; the predominant eye colour in both families is brown, but DD's eyes are nowhere near brown! My grandfather is the only one I know of that had grey-blue eyes.

That is EXACTLY what my little girls eyes looked like! And right now they are a  shade of brown..people still comment on her eyes and ask what color they are. I have dark brown eyes and my hubby has light brown eyes.

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#14 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM

Cecilia's started out a very mutable grey-green-brown-blue, and they've settled now, at almost a year, into a very interesting hazel with plenty of grey in it. What makes it odd is that my eyes are bright green, and my husband's bright blue, and genetically speaking, she should have ended up with one of our eye colors. As well, we were both towheads as babies, and she has brown hair. Genetics are cool!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#15 of 22 Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM

My baby started with dark blue-grey eyes that are now a beautiful bright blue that twinkle when he smiles.

#16 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dark blue, still dark blue at almost 10 months.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#17 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Bright blue at birth, but they settled into mid-brown around 2-3 months. For awhile in between, they were slate gray and my husband was hoping they'd end up staying there. (He's bright blue, I'm dark brown, my stepdaughter, whose mother is also some form of blue, has very cool hazel eyes, which were much bluer when she was a toddler.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#18 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

Genetics are cool!

Totally!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#19 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM

DS (8 months) had beautiful blue eyes when he was born. They acquired a brown ring at the center around 2-3 months, and then the outer circle became grey. They look just like DH's, except DH has green eyes with a brown circle and DS has gray eyes with a brown circle. (I have golden brown).

My mom had bright blue eyes until she was 3, then they went dark brown

#20 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Ellie started with dark blue, almost violet eyes, and they've slowly lightened to a beautiful bright blue.

Both DH and I have blue eyes (hers looks more like his), so it's likely they'll stay that way.

My sister, who is my parents' biological child, has beautiful gray-blue eyes, while my dad has green and my mom has hazel.  I think you have to go back two generations to find someone else with blue eyes.

I remember reading somewhere once that unlike many genes that only have dominant/recessive pairings (remember the Punnett's square from high school biology?), eye color is unusual because there are three different alleles--green, brown, and blue--and while brown is generally dominant over blue, it's not as dominant over green, and, in rare instances, may even be recessive to blue, leading to the rare event of two blue eyed parents producing a brown-eyed child.  (Man, I would not want to have to try to explain that one to DH without a *lot* of research to back me up, though!  lol.gif)

I have to third the PPs who said that genetics are fascinating!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#21 of 22 Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM

DD eyes were a very dark grey/blue/green colour when she was born. Then they started looking mostly dark greenish. I was sad that they weren't brown like mine but they ended up being very dark brown (and beautiful ;) ).

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#22 of 22 Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM

DS had blue at birth and they are still blue now at 12 months.

DH has blue and I had blue until I was 10 or 11 when they changed to what they are today - green. So it should be interesting to see if our little guy's eyes stay blue or change to green eventually. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page