When did you give your baby meat or fish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I gave my last two meat/ fish at about 13 months.

I know a lot of people do it earlier. Any reasons why or why not?

#2 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Erm, never thought much about it. In my baby cook book from 10 years ago, fish was introduced along with chicken. DS is 8 months today and he's been eating salmon for . . . . 3 months now I think? I don't see any problems with it.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#3 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Within the first month of starting solids. I don't know why I would wait longer? FWIW - ds LOVES meat whereas many of the lo's who started with only purees will touch it. I think the work of chewing meat is harder for a lot of lo's to get used to whereas by starting with strips of meat from the beginning never created this situation. Does that make sense?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

Erm, never thought much about it. In my baby cook book from 10 years ago, fish was introduced along with chicken. DS is 8 months today and he's been eating salmon for . . . . 3 months now I think? I don't see any problems with it.

Actually salmon is what we are having tonight! I'm going to give it a try.

#5 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Chicken at around 7 months,  pulled pork (unintentionally--he grabbed some and practically inhaled it) a few nights ago.

No fish yet, but we really haven't been cooking much (I'm working full time and my husband is campaigning for office--once the election's over, whether he wins or loses, we'll actually have way more free time).

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#6 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I was told by the health nurse in Camada that starting meats as a first food is fine, because the iron absorption is better. So it was his second food, becaus I always thought the baby cereal was disgusting. We dont eat fish because I cannot stand it, but he has had shrimp. I grind up chewier stuff like pork and steak, but I feed chicken and ground beef in baby size chunks.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#7 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM

She started eating fish around 7 months, after grabbing it from my plate! Chicken and beef started around 9 months. She loves her proteins!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#8 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM

We're doing baby led weaning, and DS had his first meat at around 7 months. Since then (8 months), he's had chicken, fish, and pork. 

He LOVED (loved loved loved) gnawing on a mostly eaten chicken drumsticks. It was one of the funniest things I've seen him do

The idea of pureeing meat really grosses me out. He did just fine with shreds... shredded/pulled chicken or flaked fish are both easy for them to manage

#9 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Yeah, no pureed meat here, it squicks me out, too. Meat cooked until soft is what we do.

#10 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM

My kids all had meat in some form as one of their first solid foods-- about 6 months for DD2, about 7 months for DD1, and about 8 months for DS-- he was a late eater, because he sat up late. Meat and fatty fish are more calorie-dense than the fruits and vegetables we typically introduce to infants in this culture. It is protein rich and contains lots of fats, and is rich in other trace minerals.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM

my LO is approaching 7 mo. She gets tiny bits of salmon and grass fed beef whenever we eat it (maybe once a week). I think the high iron and omega 3 content is really valuable to her development. I'm not sure if that's early, but whenever were eating meat she makes a huge fuss unless we give her some. I think an easy soft first animal protein is scrambled eggs.

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#12 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM

8 months. I just give her bits of what we are having. One night we had salmon and I figured it was fine. She grabbed a big piece of steak of my husbands plate a few weeks ago. She has no teeth but loves gumming it.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#13 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM

We BLFing and my kiddos started meat at 6 months or so and fish right after. I came from a country that used to eat lots of fish and algaes was one the first food that families used to give to babies. We don't have any history of allergies, so my kiddos eats regulally fish, seafood and algaes at least once a week. Also, us a parents we're big sushi eaters so they started to eat sushi from very young ages, 10 months old or so.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#14 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM

DS1 was a baby food baby, I thought that was the only way, and I couldn't stomach those jarred meats with gravy, so he didn't get meat until he was almost a year old.  DS2 has FPIES, and developed an aversion to purees, so he's a self feeder.  He's had beef, I'm sure he'll have fish at some point soon.  I have to be careful with poultry because it's a common FPIES trigger, so I'm waiting.  Don't want to put him through a reaction if I can help it.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#15 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM

our ds started meat at 11 months, but thats because he didn't start solids until then. Now it is definitely one of his favorite foods...chicken, turkey, fish and especially chicken sausage. pretty funny to watch him go crazy for sausage. trying to balance out the diets with fruits and veggies. he has always hated purees..have anyone else's disliked purees? don't mean to thread jack, just curious.

#16 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

First meat at 8 months - a chunk of roast lamb. First seafood - salt and pepper squid  at nearly 10 months. She's also had beef and chicken.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#17 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM

This is funny, because I let my DD try our corned beef last night. Just a bit or two.  We were really unsure about when to introduce meat. 

Probably not the best to start with a seasoned meat! But she LOVED it! It was the soft consistency of pulled pork. And it was fun!

I guess she get's meat now? Nice to see others suggestions.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#18 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 PM

I let Cecilia try the corned beef too, but she wasn't a fan. Actually, I'm glad she wasn't, since it's full of sodium and preservatives to keep the pink color.

#19 of 28 Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM

Not ours! I brined my own! I was mostly worried about the pepper and beer it was marinating in.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#20 of 28 Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaofLiam View Post

our ds started meat at 11 months, but thats because he didn't start solids until then. Now it is definitely one of his favorite foods...chicken, turkey, fish and especially chicken sausage. pretty funny to watch him go crazy for sausage. trying to balance out the diets with fruits and veggies. he has always hated purees..have anyone else's disliked purees? don't mean to thread jack, just curious.

Yes, my first two babies would not eat pureed foods. They didnt eat till 1 yr and went straight to real food.

#21 of 28 Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM

According to my naturopath, chicken, being the first meat should not be introduced until 18 months....due to the difficulty of digesting meats....his list has both chicken and fish at 18 months.  I've never heard of this list elsewhere...but I do believe chicken and other meats to be hard on the digestive system.  With that being said, I started my own babe this past month at 11 months....but only a very small amount and not very often....maybe once or twice in a week at most.

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#22 of 28 Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaofLiam View Post

My LO is almost 7mos. She liked purees briefly but now won't touch them. She will however, throw a huge fit every time me or DH eats food in front of her. All she wants is tiny pieces of real food. 

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#23 of 28 Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM

We're holding off on meat for E, but only came to that decision specific to her and how she processes things. H's dad died of colon cancer and she's a vegetarian partly based on wanting to avoid colon issues (she's been given a completely clean, awesome report on her colon).  E loves to eat and has a high fiber diet so far but can still have hard-ish poops and can hold food in her colon for a long time (we can tell how long it takes her to process certain foods). So, based on that, we don't want meat hanging out in her colon for a long time, ick!

When we have other kids we'll base our choices on how they process things.  It seems right to us.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#24 of 28 Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
MJB

My big kids didn't have meat until they were old enough to ask for it (4 for my first, 1.5 for my second). My daughter has been eating it since probably 5 months. She loves meat and it's a good source of iron. She's had fish too. 

#25 of 28 Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS (8.25 mos old) eats mostly purees and mashed foods- we tried BLW but he gagged and got upset that he couldn't eat enough or fast enough as when he got mashed or pureed foods.  He only likes to gnaw on things like apple pieces and carrots etc.

I've made him chunky purees of chicken with other veggies and lentils and he loved them but I'm not sure he was digesting them well. Every time I gave them to him he would have a restless night and would sleep poorly (more than usual eyesroll.gif ). So we've taken a break from proteins and we're on strictly fruits and veggies for a little while longer.

I have mixed a little brown rice cereal in with his fruits and veggies simply for the iron, other than that he really doesn't eat much grains at all.

He still gets a LOT of breastmilk.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#26 of 28 Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM

I give our daughter (8months) chicken whenever we have it. I usually shred it into small pieces since she has the pincer grasp down and loves to pick up little pieces of food as opposed to bigger strips. We are doing BLW weaning and feeding our daughter what we eat, usually. I also give her the veggies we are having along side it, so she doesn't really get much chicken. One time we gave her a chicken bone, completely stripped, and she loved chewing on it. It was pretty entertaining.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

#27 of 28 Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 PM

My daughter had fish-cod, I think, we don't do any shellfish until well after the first birthday-as one of her first baby foods, in a puree with root veggies. I started offering meat and chicken when she started wanting to self-feed, probably around 9-10 months old. She didn't like purees much, and wouldn't have anything to do with them anymore once she discovered table food. We had allergy worries with my son, so we delayed solids for him until he was around 7 months; he had fish as one of his first foods, just like his sister, but he LOVED his purees. He didn't completely give up "baby" food in favor of table food until he was probably 14-15 months old. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#28 of 28 Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 AM

DS2's first food was organic ground beef cooked in the slow cooker. LLL recommends meat as a first food. I'm convinced by stuff I've read that babes do need some iron in the second half of the first year but I don't like the idea of feeding my baby rice flour laced with iron filings (although I allowed myself to be bullied into it with DS1).

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page