Waking Up Babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have gotten my ds, finally,  to only waking two times a night again (AMEN!!) and an occasional 3rd at night.  He is 11 months old though and according to the majority of the sources I've read, even a breastfed baby should be able to go through the night with only one waking and perhaps an 'occasional' second....not twice a night on a regular basis.  One thing I have not tried is waking him before I go to sleep myself for nursing.  I'm not sure it would make much difference since I usually go to bed no more than 2 hours after he does (him by 7:30 or 8, with me around 9 or 10)..... and I'm wondering how many of you have tried this technique...how you went about it and whether or not you had success???

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#2 of 3 Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM

we don't intentionally wake our dd (5 months) for nursing but she does wake often in her crib next to our bed when we get into our creaky bed with it's loud bedspread. when i nurse her then it doesn't really help her sleep longer. i've heard that if you reduce night time feedings they make up for it the next day, then sleep better the next night, and the cycle continues so i'm actually trying to cut down on feedings at night by only feeding her when she is hungry, stopping as soon as she seems full and feeding her on the emptier breast at night, until around 5 am when i feed her off the full breast. i am hoping this is will encourage her to eat more during the day. up until a week ago i was always trying to "top her off" during night-time feedings but she was still waking every 2 or 3 hours. not "topping her off" at night-time feedings after 9PM hasn't changed this.

#3 of 3 Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM

We tried waking and feeding GG when we went to bed to see if it would help cut down the number of night wakings. It didn't. She doesn't seem to wake because she is hungry, although frequently we get her back to sleep by nursing. She wakes every two to two and half hours for... unknown reasons! Sleep cycles? Anxiety? Reflux? Who knows at this point... we've tried to address it all, and the only thing that has increased her sleep time (by about an hour) was to put her to sleep on her belly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page