What foods are you withholding from your LO- why and how long? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's my understanding of the whole juice issue. Basically, juice has very little nutritional value and a high sugar content. (Fresh squeezed/juiced juice has a little more and few added sugars if you do it on your own.) It's better for kiddos just to eat the fruit than have the extra sugar that goes along with the juices. Also, juice makes our blood sugar spike more quickly where with fruit it's a more gradual elevation which is better for insulin production.

Another issue is tooth decay and cavities. The sugars from the juice sit on the teeth and wear away at the teeth which leads to kiddos getting cavities. I am a nurse and work at a family practice clinic with dental services and we always recommend just water. If parents want to give juice we usually suggest watering it down, no juice at night/at bedtime and to have kids rinse out their mouths to get the sugars off their teeth.

My son (18 months) doesn't get juice for these reasons. On occasion, his grandparents will give him juice but it's like once every 4 months (much to their dismay). Hope this helps! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Farrah Skye, It crowds out nutritious foods. Whole fruit is better than juice, which loses nutritional content very rapidly after extraction.

DD - no wheat, oatmeal, barley, eggplant (I recently developed skin irritation when I cut it but eat it anyway :-)), okra, egg white, milk as a drink, berries other than blueberries (blueberries are not true berries), straight up citrus, no juice for as long as I can prevent her. She does eat whole milk yogurt, she's had lemon in foods and loves it, tomatoes, likewise. She has eaten all lentils, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, mung beans (all soaked), with no problems.

We're vegetarian, so absolutely no meat or seafood or poultry ever. It isn't acceptable to me that she even get it in daycare. She hasn't started going yet, but when she will, I will strongly tell them that no meat nor meat products are to get into my daughter.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#33 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 11:53 AM

I wasn't serious about anything.  By the way, babies digestive systems can handle meat and eggs BEFORE anything else...and they develop the enzymes to digest grains LAST.  My kids didn't get much cow dairy before a year, but mostly because they were getting their "dairy" from me.  I have learned that nuts are rather pointless before about 18 months.  The kids will eat them, but, well, I cloth diaper, and I would find lots of nice, clean, bits of nuts in my washing machine after I washed dipes. LOL!

#34 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM

heathernj - do you have any links to info about that and grains - I'm curious - b/c it seems that DS has had some problems with grains and I'm wanting to learn more about it.

I'm torn about the whole milk thing. THe last few times that the sitter has tried to give DS a bottle he's refused - it's getting really annoying to pump - I do it so infrequently and I need him to take a bottle so infrequently. But I would like him to take one every now and then - I'm wondering if it would be ok (better?) to just give whole milk in a bottle vs. formula if I give up pumping?? Formula just squicks me out so much ... (not to be rude to FF moms! Just my personal bias ..) thoughts ???

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#35 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM

The AAP says no juice prior to 6 months. I admit, we do give my son juice, but only in a very watered form (1 part juice to 2 parts water). He's awfully active and I was worried about 8oz of breastmilk not being enough hydration while I was at work. So, he drinks to wash down the tons of food he eats. He didn't want plain water. 

Oh and he's nine months. 

#36 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM

My little one is 8 months old and so far has had bananas, apple sauce, sweet potatoes, avocado, and peas (which I won't be doing again for awhile because she ended up with a yucky mucousy diaper after eating them). Oh and I sometimes put in some coconut oil with the sweet potatoes to try and get some fat into her since she's so skinny. She's also gnawed on a few apple slices in her time and in fact that's what had me really starting to give her solids was when she grabbed an apple slice from her sister and put it in her mouth. She still doesn't have any teeth though so haven't introduced too much which I get the impression she seems to think is absolutely unfair considering the looks she gives us whenever we eat food she's not given. She is very much into eating food, MUCH MORE than her older sister was at that age (which is why I haven't pushed solids too much with this baby). She was sensitive to dairy when she was younger (she had colic) and her sister was and still kind of is sensitive to citrus foods though not as much as she used to be so those I wait on and I'm still torn about grains. I have read in the book Nourishing Traditions to wait on grains until 2. I'm not sure I want to go that long though but I'm thinking at least 1. I don't know. I'm just kind of taking it slow and we're giving her things that we eat around the house normally (bananas especially we have in the house all the time because my older daughter eats them like crazy). I figure though in the summer I'll start to introduce her to more berries and things like that since all the summer fruits will be in season then.

Janeen

#37 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post

I guess now that I think about it, we've withheld a little more than just honey and glutenous grains! For example, we don't do cow's milk beyond in my husband's cereal, and I probably won't be giving her any at all. She doesn't like most cheese, so that's not a problem, and yogurt is a rarity (though she LOVES coconut milk yogurt!) around here. I haven't tried peanut products mainly because we don't use them a lot at home anyway, but we don't have any history of allergies, so I'm not too worried about that. She's had very little sugar, mostly in a bite of gelato here and there-- I admit, I'm addicted! And definitely no juice, again we don't keep it around and I don't think it's particularly good for kids.

Oh my gosh! We just introduced some organic yogurt tonight but I would prefer giving him coconut milk yogurt! Where do you buy this!? Trader Joes/ Whole Foods?!! I'm excited to try this!! 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#38 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the whole milk thing but my DS won't take a bottle either. We tried a few weeks ago and that was his first time trying to take one in 2 months so maybe no wonder! I was thinking trying to just give him milk through a sippy cup? I hate pumping so much but would rather not use formula! I am interested in  what people will say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post

heathernj - do you have any links to info about that and grains - I'm curious - b/c it seems that DS has had some problems with grains and I'm wanting to learn more about it.

I'm torn about the whole milk thing. THe last few times that the sitter has tried to give DS a bottle he's refused - it's getting really annoying to pump - I do it so infrequently and I need him to take a bottle so infrequently. But I would like him to take one every now and then - I'm wondering if it would be ok (better?) to just give whole milk in a bottle vs. formula if I give up pumping?? Formula just squicks me out so much ... (not to be rude to FF moms! Just my personal bias ..) thoughts ???

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#39 of 49 Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmumajen View Post

Oh my gosh! We just introduced some organic yogurt tonight but I would prefer giving him coconut milk yogurt! Where do you buy this!? Trader Joes/ Whole Foods?!! I'm excited to try this!! 

We have a chain of natural foods stores where I live called Sunflower Markets (I think they're in Texas and New Mexico too), and I got it there. But I think a regular natural foods store would either carry it or be amenable to ordering it. I have the So Delicious brand. It's seriously freaking delicious!!

This is the next step, maybe someday I will have the time...

http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#40 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The AAP's flip-flop on timing of introduction of solids in order to reduce allergies has me all confuzzled. My gut instinct says the current version (delaying introduction contributing to allergies) is closer to correct... but it was easier just to avoid potential allergens!

DD (5 mo) has a sensitive belly, and has shown some sort of reaction (crying fits, hives, gas, mucousy and/or green poop) to several of the Top 8 allergens (and a few other things) through breastmilk. So it seems sensible to hold off on those for a while.

Where I get mixed up is whether I should be introducing foods our family doesn't eat regularly. Peanuts and wheat, for example. She's sensitive to them now, and our family doesn't eat them as a rule. But they're ubiquitous in the standard American diet, to the extent that many people can't conceive of how they'll feed their kids if they can't make a peanut butter sandwich. It's fairly safe to assume she'll eat them at some point, so I'd prefer her be able to handle them without serious problems.

I realize I'm probably overthinking this, as most people don't go on to develop life-threatening allergies to things they aren't introduced to as babies regardless. If she was a less sensitive baby, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought and just introduce her to what our family eats.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#41 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM

DS is 10 months old. He has not had any gluten products (we have a lot of celiacs in family), no dairy, no meat (I'm vegetarian), no nuts, no oranges or tomatoes. He just recently started eating berries, he eats lentils and loves them. We give him quinoa, spelt and kamut pasta and flakes. 

#42 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

The AAP's flip-flop on timing of introduction of solids in order to reduce allergies has me all confuzzled. My gut instinct says the current version (delaying introduction contributing to allergies) is closer to correct... but it was easier just to avoid potential allergens!

DD (5 mo) has a sensitive belly, and has shown some sort of reaction (crying fits, hives, gas, mucousy and/or green poop) to several of the Top 8 allergens (and a few other things) through breastmilk. So it seems sensible to hold off on those for a while.

Where I get mixed up is whether I should be introducing foods our family doesn't eat regularly. Peanuts and wheat, for example. She's sensitive to them now, and our family doesn't eat them as a rule. But they're ubiquitous in the standard American diet, to the extent that many people can't conceive of how they'll feed their kids if they can't make a peanut butter sandwich. It's fairly safe to assume she'll eat them at some point, so I'd prefer her be able to handle them without serious problems.

I realize I'm probably overthinking this, as most people don't go on to develop life-threatening allergies to things they aren't introduced to as babies regardless. If she was a less sensitive baby, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought and just introduce her to what our family eats.

I know how you feel. My gut says delayed is better, but that is just my gut. We started around 7 months, but my girl is so not a solids kid. She is about a year old and eats very, very little.

As for the foods that you don't eat regularly, I wouldn't stress them, personally. A peanut butter sandwich won't be a go-to in your household, so why worry? There are plenty of foods I never had growing up because either my family didn't eat them (like pork), or because I was picky picky picky (like a TON of other foods). I don't have any allergy problems with them now, so I don't think that you're going to automatically run into issues with peanuts or wheat with your boy just because you don't give them to him now.

#43 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM

My son is 14 months and the only thing we've held back are peanuts and honey. We have eaten peanut butter in the house though, and I know my older son has eaten it and then touched the baby or kissed the baby, so I'm pretty sure he's not allergic, but we're still holding off. He's tried berries and eggs and all the other questionable items. My dr. just told us to introduce them in the mornings so if he has an allergic reaction it would be in the middle of the day when everyone is awake and the dr.'s office is open. So that's what we've done. Anytime we introduce something new, we just do it at breakfast or at an early lunch and then watch him closely for the next few hours.

I can't remember when they are allowed honey -- make 2 years old?
#44 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 PM

After a year for honey.

#45 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM

We've given DS everything (peanuts, strawberries, wheat, egg, dairy, soy, beans, fish) except honey (botulism risk!). I think many of the recommendations about avoiding allergens are being reversed -- early exposure is starting to look better (for infants that are not at risk)

#46 of 49 Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM

I gave DD anything and everything we were eating to try, once I wanted her to start eating food.  She had tastes of fruits I was eating from 5-6 months and then at 7 months I started giving her more.  I'm vegetarian, so she is too :)  But the only thing I held off on before 1 year was peanut butter and honey.  Peanut butter I waited on because I was scared to give it before age 1, but we did end up letting her try some a few days before her bday.  Honey because of the botulism risk (?? maybe it's some other illness, either way). 

Mama to three

#47 of 49 Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM

I am puzzled by this delaying grains thing. In Asia, all babies traditionally get grains right from the get go.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#48 of 49 Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 PM

It's just a different school of thought. Many believe that a) white rice cereal is nutritionally useless and isn't an ideal early food at all and b) delaying grains is better for underdeveloped digestive systems. There is some research that people talk about that states that the enzymes required to properly digest grains don't develop until after one.

#49 of 49 Old 03-26-2011, 02:24 PM

The book, Nourishing Traditions talks a little bit about this and I think it is due to the fact that we as a species started out as a hunter gatherer species and not as an agricultural species. Therefore, our bodies have not really evolved to concern certain things at young ages and babies especially do not have the enzymes to digest grains (and this day and age, grains are not prepared in a way that makes it easier for adults even to digest them, most are soaked/fermented before being made). This article goes a little into it http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/05/right-way-to-feed-babies/ I think her language gets a bit blunt but she makes some interesting points. This article goes more into first foods for babies: http://westonaprice.org/childrens-health/317-nourishing-a-growing-baby Reading that has me thinking that maybe I should look into introducing a bit of meat the baby. My older daughter does not eat meat much at all and I don't want this baby to get the same idea especially with her weight being where it's at.

It's hard to know exactly what to do when it comes to feeding our little ones, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasya View Post

I am puzzled by this delaying grains thing. In Asia, all babies traditionally get grains right from the get go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page