no poop in 5 days for a 10 day old baby - should I worry? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS was born last Thurs and hasn't pooped since Wed (6 days old).  Now it's been 5 days with no poop (10 days old).  I know poop frequency varies w babies but thought that happened when they are a little older like couple months?  Is this something I should worry about?  Baby is doing well and happy otherwise.  No issues, discomfort, meds, allergies whatsoever except the poop thing.

Can I do anything about it?  With DD I would give her some prune juice but not sure if I can do that with a newborn - probably not!

Some more info....We have been supplementing w formula since DS was 3 days old due to 15% weight loss.  My milk came in on day 5 and breastfeeding is going well so we started to ramp down the formula for a couple days now.  We will probably comepletely be off formula in several days.  (please no flaming about the formula.  same thing happened with DD and it didn't damage our breastfeeding relationship and felt it was needed due to a big weight loss)

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#2 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 PM

It's very normal for a bf baby to go up to a week with no bowel movement.  :)

:
#3 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Have you seen an LC to know for sure he is getting enough milk while nursing? I would be worried since you have had supply issues, and the no pooping and the weaning off formula coincide.

I'd make an appointment with the doctor or an LC to double check, and calm your worries.

#4 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM

TBH at that age I would be very concerned about no BM's. Pooping can slow way down in OLDER bf babies, like 2 months plus, but at 10 days they should be pooping at least once a day if not a lot more. How are wet diapers? Is baby showing any signs of dehydration? I think you should take your baby for a weight check tomorrow and maybe to an LC to observe a nursing session. GL and please update.

PatioGardener likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM

My baby did the same... I have oversupply though & she was getting plenty of foremilk but not enough of the laxative hindmilk. your situation sounds a lot different though.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBB View Post

TBH at that age I would be very concerned about no BM's. Pooping can slow way down in OLDER bf babies, like 2 months plus, but at 10 days they should be pooping at least once a day if not a lot more. How are wet diapers? Is baby showing any signs of dehydration? I think you should take your baby for a weight check tomorrow and maybe to an LC to observe a nursing session. GL and please update.

Yeah my thoughts, too, that he is too young to not poop for so long.  He's been gaining 1-2 oz per day which I think is a good rate (we have a scale at home)  & doesn't seem dehydrated.  He makes at least like 8 clear/slightly yellow wet diapers per day.  He goes back and forth between nursing like 20-30 min per side every 2 hours or so vs. nursing like 5 min per side every hour.  So perhaps a hind milk issue?  He does fall asleep a lot during nursing and I have to keep waking him up.  But he does swallow a lot - I can hear the gulping sounds when he nurses.

OMG, nevermind he pooped like a really huge poop just now!  I will still call the pediatrician tomorrow to see what she says. 

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#7 of 9 Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 AM

it could be nothing (my 4 mo went 9 days without pooping when he was pretty young.. maybe a month old or so) but if there are weight gain/supply issues I would most definitley have it checked out.. I agree with the PP about seeing an LC, making sure he is transferring enough milk, etc.

congrats on the new baby!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#8 of 9 Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM

OMG, nevermind he pooped like a really huge poop just now!  I will still call the pediatrician tomorrow to see what she says. 

Awesome! I bet he's fine. I logged on first thing this am bc I was worried about your little non-pooper, though wink1.gif

#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvdec97jan98p123.htm.

This is a great info page for newborns and poops.

Glad to hear there was poop today!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page