What did/are you get(ting) your 1 year old on their first birthday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious about what other mamas are doing for their one year olds? I'd like to get something special that DD will enjoy and not just toss in a corner to collect dust. What has worked well for you and what was a waste of money? All ideas welcome!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 24 Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

I guess you could call it DD's early bday present. I got her a soft pink little foam chair that has a poodle's head and feet. It was on sale, and was the last one at Hobby Lobby, so I couldn't resist. I have friends who's kids just love their little chairs from DD's age (10 mos) through kindergarten and beyond.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#3 of 24 Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Well, I can't tell you how they were received, since my girl's birthday is two days after yours! But this is what we've gotten her so far:

- A tree tent thingy on clearance from Target

- A Radio Flyer "Tiny Trike"

- A set of 5 playsilks (similar to this, just less pieces and slightly bigger size)

- A backyard play structure (we couldn't fit wooden in our tiny yard, so we had to go with plastic)

I know that my IL's have gotten her a metal, all-terrain Radio Flyer wagon with removable wooden sides, and I know that my parents are getting her her first dolly and some musical instruments, and I know that my aunt and uncle have gotten her some Melissa and Doug wooden toys. Other than that, not sure what she's going to get! I did make my preference for wooden, cloth and more "passive" toys known, though.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 24 Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

You could just throw some beans in a Cheerios box and tape it shut. DD is having a blast with that right now. =)

amrijane128 likes this.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#5 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 AM

I would really love for my family to chip in and get a small wooden playhouse. Our yard isn't very large, but we will be moving in the next year or so and we could take it with us! It could be a joint gift for DD/DS who have summer birthdays, because they don't need much and I know they would both love it. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#6 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM

We're thinking about a riding toy of some variety - or possibly her first bike.

I like this thread, keep it comin'!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#7 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Based on another "1st birthday" MDC thread suggestion, we got our LO (who turned 1 on Saturday) a Whacky Ball.  It is available both at Target and some independent toy stores.  Much to my surprise, he loved it and was able to use the little hammer to mash the balls in almost immediately.  That's the only present we got him and I feel just fine about it.  He still gnaws books constantly, so I could not get him a first birthday book greensad.gif BUT...a suggestion (I did this with my older son)...when you get your LO a book that is special for a birthday or holiday or whatever...use a Sharpie to trace his/her hand in it and date it.  They love looking back at how little their hands used to be!  Happy birthday, everybody!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#8 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM

We did income tax return "Christmas" lol, the beginning of this month, so when dd was 10 months.

There were things I wanted to get her but didn't but I ended up getting her:

a chunky wooden puzzle with knobs

another baby doll (she already had one) and a stroller

wooden shape sorter

wooden blocks, which she loves, but this was a joint thing for her and ds, and they are pretty small, so I am looking now for some bigger ones.

we did it dora. Yes, I know, plastic crap, way overpriced, but she freaking loves this thing (the rest of us don't lol). She stands up and dances whenever the song plays. I'm a sucker, what can I say? and she combs dora's hair with her little brush.

Some other things we are getting soon hopefully....a wagon, and/or some kind of outdoor ride on toy. toy kitchen, pop up tent/tunnel.

For now we are good with the blocks, but I am planning on getting her some big legos as well. She really seems to "get" it and tries to stack the blocks rather than just knocking them over all the time.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#9 of 24 Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM

I sewed a doll for my son when he turned one. It was a great swap for a hard, cold plastic thing he'd been carrying around for a few months. A (financially comfrotable) friend of mine bought her son a wooden kitchen set from Nova Naturals which her 1 year old, 4 year old, and 8 year old all play with!

Whatever you get for your daughter, as long as you choose it with love I'm sure she'll love it! Good luck!

Jessi

#10 of 24 Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I'm planning to make J's first doll but other than that I'm not sure. Maybe a set of play silks.

Caedenmomma, I love the tracing idea. We often buy special books for special occasions, both for J and for friends.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 24 Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

So glad I started this thread! There are some WONDERFUL ideas! Thank you!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#12 of 24 Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm wondering the same thing! My daughter turns one in June, and I want to get her something special, but I can't think of anything. The only thing I can think of is a growth chart since we don't live in a house where we can mark on the door frame. I don't want to do too much 'cause I know she is going to get so much for her birthday!!

#13 of 24 Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM

I forgot about that! We got her a growth chart too. We got this one.

#14 of 24 Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM

My oldest got a little ride on bike toy for her first birthday.  Can't remember what my older son got but my third got a new stroller.  He has so many toys from the older two, but our stroller was shot (bought with dd) so he wasn't getting out unless he was in the sling and I wanted him to have a new perspective.  He loves it!

Mama of three.

#15 of 24 Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Push toys and ride ons were big favorites for my older kids.

One thing I made for my LO who just had her birthday was a fabric wallet and then I laminated some photos of her and her siblings and our pet. They fit in the card slots. She loves taking my cards out, so I thought this would be perfect.

I had done this for my older one, but it needed updating with all the new kids. I made doubles of all the little photo cards and laminated them too and they are to play with. Right now she just looks through them, but later they can be used for memory...go fish, whatever!

Other things she plays with are balls, mini climber with slide we had, stroller, blocks. She recently got a pinwheel and got a big kick out of it as well as Mylar balloons.

Have fun!

Amy, Mom to ds 2000, dd 2004 and newest dd 3/2010!
Breast Cancer Survivor since 2007
#16 of 24 Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM

DD rode a rocking horse at a friend's house and loved it so I'm thinking of getting her one those. I also love the idea of a growth chart. I think some musical instruments too. She does love to raise a ruckus!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#17 of 24 Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Anyone have any experience with a Rody Horse? I haven't seen one at any of my friends' houses, but I have heard that they are cool because you can inflate it more or less depending on the size of your child. Plus, I have to admit, the look of them makes me laugh! lol.gif

#18 of 24 Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM

We got DD a "trichair", a wooden high chair that triples as a rocking horse and a desk/chair that has been an awesome addition to our eating situation. She loves eating at the desk/chair.

My parents got her a Melissa and Doug walker with alligatiors. She is obsessed with it. MIL got a plastic piano that makes electronic noises. DD loves it, Im not a huge fan...but it will eventually run out of batteries.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM

Love, love, love, love this! Consider the idea stolen wink1.gif!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLegos View Post

One thing I made for my LO who just had her birthday was a fabric wallet and then I laminated some photos of her and her siblings and our pet. They fit in the card slots. She loves taking my cards out, so I thought this would be perfect.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#20 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM

we got a leapfrog learn & grove musical table and he hasn't stopped playing with it.  he especially likes to keep switching it from english to spanish.

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Learn-Groove-Musical-Table/dp/B000ETRENI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301590143&sr=8-3

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#21 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM

We have one of those. It was her favorite toy when she wasn't standing yet, and I had it off its legs. Now it's one of her favorites up on its legs too.

#22 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabee View Post

You could just throw some beans in a Cheerios box and tape it shut. DD is having a blast with that right now. =)

I just tried this after reading, DD likes it! DD turns 1 in August but, I'm already thinking so much about her birthday! Thanks for some ideas.

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#23 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM

My best friend's daughter recieved a Rody Horse for her 1st birthday and absolutely LOVES it.  All other presents were immediately forgotten that day when she caught sight of this horse.  I definitely want to get one for my guy when he turns one.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg
#24 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingjello View Post

My best friend's daughter recieved a Rody Horse for her 1st birthday and absolutely LOVES it.  All other presents were immediately forgotten that day when she caught sight of this horse.  I definitely want to get one for my guy when he turns one.

Good to know, we'll probably go for it. :)

Tags
Birthday Parties , 1st Birthday

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page