bite size pieces for 11 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering what size is "bite size" for your babes? My son has 8 teeth and loves to feed himself. I've been so cautious about choking that I'm wondering if I'm cutting up his foods too small. Usually I chop it up to about the size of my pinky-nail. Am I being overly cautious? I know he needs to learn to chew (which he already does pretty well). How have all of you transitioned through this phase? I jsut feel like I don't really know what's appropriate. Example: toast. Do I cut it up? Give him a piece to chew on? I think I might be making this more complicated that it need be....:

Anyway, ideas welcomed!
#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 02:14 PM

I am still chewing up some of ds's food for him and he's 15 mos
#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 02:14 PM

My DD is almost 14 months (8 teeth) and I do exactly what you do. Sometimes now I'll give her something a bit larger and watch what she does. Bread is a good example. She usually does fine and she loves it. She's probably so happy to have something bigger than a crumb, LOL. I'm just so darn paranoid.

Sorry, wish I was more help!
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 03:53 PM

My DD is 11 months & has 8 teeth too & I've been cutting things up about the same size as you are. But, I have been experimenting with some things to see if she gets the concept of taking a bite & usually she does. Most of the time she takes a proper size bit, it seems that when she's kinda finished with something she'll just either drop it to the floor or try to stuff the whole thing in her mouth at once. We've been trying to give her like 1/4 piece of toast, or a 2 inch slice of cheese (maybe 1/4" thick) and just yesterday I let her chew on a few raisins (which she loved).

But, she doesn't really choke on things very often anymore. I think she mostly knows when something is too big now & her tongue just does this rapid, push it out motion (it's so funny to watch) and she spits it out. I'm trying to tell her to "spit it out" and put my hand under her chin so that hopefully she'll get the idea and spit things out when I ask her to someday - soon, please!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page