Should I be worried about my two month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have two girls and a new baby boy. I googled the milestones that a two month is supposed to be doing. He is supposed to be holding his head steadily, tracking objects, cooing,smiles, looking in the direction of noise, rolling over in one direction.

He can:

Head his head for a couple of seconds

Can track objects sometimes

He coos

He smiles

Sometimes looks in the direction of noise, but not often

Can not roll at all

#2 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 7.5 week old can:

Hold head for a minute or so pretty well

Track objects really well

Coos

Smiles

Doesn't look in the direction of noise

Doesn't roll over, can sometimes get herself at an almost 45 degree angle but mostly just lifts her legs up while laying on the floor

When I put her on her tummy for tummy time she lays there and licks her blanket

I'm not worried. I don't even know what the milestones are for each month.

**http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestones-rolling-over_6504.bc

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#3 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

roll over? huh. My ped. said that is a 4month milestone. I know because she couldn't then. She still doesn't really at 7 months old. My ped. is not concerned. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#4 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

i thought rolling was a 4-month thing as well.  my almost 4 mont old just started a few days ago.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I definitely don't think most 2-month-olds are rolling over.  I read recently that an 8-month-old should be stacking blocks!  DS2 was about that age at the time.  I just had to laugh--not even close.

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#6 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM
mra

My three month old cannot roll over. She really doesn't even try to yet.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#7 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

well i care for a 13 month old who cannot roll over ..only just sits up...still falls back...wont grip or put weight on her feet ...something terrible is wrong !

#8 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Rolling is definitely more of a 4 month old milestone.  My ds rolled the morning he was 4 months old and I congratulated him on being textbook.

#9 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

DD was starting to roll over after 3 months and now at 6 months is crawling and pulling herself up! it's all different with every baby... they don't go by charts... charts are rather "what most babies" do.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

roll over? huh. My ped. said that is a 4month milestone. I know because she couldn't then. She still doesn't really at 7 months old. My ped. is not concerned. 

This was my DS1. He sat up unassisted at 5mo (tripod...mastered it a few months later) but still didn't really roll until 7mo or so. Honestly, he just didn't care.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Where are you getting this information? Whatever it is, throw it out.

No credible resource would say a baby should roll over at 2 months.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#12 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Bean View Post

Where are you getting this information? Whatever it is, throw it out.

No credible resource would say a baby should roll over at 2 months.

seriously! actually, in our case my dd DID roll starting at 8 weeks, right before her 2 month ped appointment and it was more like she was a major freakshow for doing so. the dr. just could not believe it.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#13 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

I have two girls and a new baby boy. I googled the milestones that a two month is supposed to be doing. He is supposed to be holding his head steadily, tracking objects, cooing,smiles, looking in the direction of noise, rolling over in one direction.

He can:

He coos

He smiles

Can not roll at all

I think that's about where mine was at at 2 months as well. 2 months is really early to roll over ...i was worried a little like maybe he was way behind cause some one else's rolled over at 3mo. & he was starting at almost 5mo. but now he's all over the place @ 6mo in both directions. lol. It happens fast. I think it depends on the baby, but when i looked it up he was pretty much on time maybe a month behind, think the other person was about a month ahead, lol. Don't worry about that stuff too much it sounds like he's at where he should be for his age. The true head stability is like 3-4mo not 2mo. i believe. I think mine was closer to 4...he has a big head, takes a while to get there. I'm sure your's is fine too :)

#14 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM

My little guy rolled over for the first time at 3 weeks but it was just a fluke cuz he didn't do it again until around 4 months so i wouldn't be worried about that. if he smiles thats a really sign of good sight because babies learn to smile from seeing us smile.

hippie.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifbabyf.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gifdelayedvax.gif

#15 of 17 Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM

My second daughter didn't sit up on her own until she was 9 months old. She missed a ton of milestones... didn't start crawling until she was almost a year old, didn't start walking until she was about 15 months, wouldn't eat solids until a year old, didn't talk until about 18 months. She is 8 years old now, highly gifted and very athletic. I just had my third daughter a couple weeks ago and I refuse to even open the milestones section of the baby book! She will do what she does when she does it, and that's all there is to it.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#16 of 17 Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

He can:

He coos

He smiles

Can not roll at all

Dont worry about it. Each baby does things diffrently. Like my daughter was walking at 9 months, my son didnt walk till he was 13 months. People will say oh its cause shes a girl or she was first born if its online. Well my daughter is the youngest and ive see other girls that havent walked till they where 18 months old, why cause each child develops at their own rate. A milestone is what a group of kids have done on an average.

#17 of 17 Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I wouldnt be worried yet.  Boys typically develop a little slower than girls as well.  Some babies are really laid back and dont dont really want to do these things.  And no, he wouldnt be rolling over yet!  I dont think this is usually said to happen til about 4 months.  All babies develop at their own pace and as long as he is not the same as he was as a 1 week old, you should not worry.

Tags
Child Development Resources For Parents And Providers , Be Amazing Language Development Eye Spy Bag , Replays Using Play To Enhance Emotional And Behavioral Development For Children With Autism Spectrum , The Miller Method Developing The Capacities Of Children On The Autism Spectrum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page