9 mo old not eating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

THis is our second baby. 

DS #1 was fully BF until 2.5 but hopped on the solids bandwagon at about 5 months eating everything and anything by a year old and still at 3.5 he has a palet that puts most adults to shame.  Awesome no-issues eater.  Tall lean strong kid.

DD is now 9 months.  We started solids(pureede veggies, homemade soups, oatmeal etc) at 7 months and it was hit or miss but finally she settled inot 2 "meals"a day.  Then we all got a virus and she stopped eating altogether and just nursed like mad.  I should also preface that by saying DD was HUGE.  Off the charts for height and pretty chubby too.  She lost some weight which brought her down to a normal baby weight size, still very tall with normal baby chubbiness. 

She has not retuened to her eating habits.  She'll eat things but it has to be on her own terms, as in with her own handsor on my finger.  God forbid I use a utensil.  This is limiting.

Be concerned?  Not be concerned?  Her weight has returned to a nice normal baby chubbiness- not super chubby- and she grew even more recently.  Just worried that I'm not introducing her to foods and she won't be the excellent healthy eater our son is.   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM

My DD is not interested in being fed, but she is interested in eating - SHE just had to do it. I'm doing BLW so that wasn't a problem for the most part, but when it came to yogurt and soup-type stuff it was always a struggle. I've given in and giver her the spoon. She couldn't be happier or dirtier.

Maybe your DD just want to do it herself? I wouldn't be concerned unless you thought she was getting skinny.

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#3 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 PM

My one year old doesn't eat much at all, whether it's something like applesauce or soup that I feed her or finger food. She'll taste just about anything, but she doesn't eat appreciable amounts. I think it's totally normal. I would just give her lots of finger foods and let her do it herself-- I think it's actually less limiting than purees are. Cecilia eats basically everything we eat (except not as much winky.gif).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM

I highly recommend checking out BLW and trying some finger foods. We started with finger foods and DD feeding herself, and there is no way she would take a spoon from us now, at seven months. The girl packs in the finger foods - her latest was noodles. Also DS really didn't eat more than one meal a day until after 1 year old. I've always felt from 6 mos to a year isn't the time to worry about table food intake because it's just about exploring. As long as there are no weight issues, go with the flow!

ETA: as long as you're BFing and have a diverse diet, don't forget that will act as a flavor bridge. Plus exposing LOs to diverse foods now will not guarantee a great eater - DS is the most annoying picky eater on the planet and he started with a very diverse palate.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page