help! 9-m-o scratching my face in carrier :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This just started this week and it's making me absolutely CRAZY.  My sweet, funny, snuggly, adorable baby will reach her hands up when she's in the carrier and claw at my face, poke her fingers into my eyes, and grab and twist my lips.  I have no idea what to do.  She and I are very attached and in tune with each other, and my gut tells me that it's completely developmentally "normal" curiosity, and that she just NEEDS to scratch something, and that my face is suddenly very interesting.  But it hurts and it makes me want to scream!!  I don't.  I've never screamed.  But I want to, and that's freaking me out a little.  What do I do?  

When I gently place her arms further down in the carrier she screams.  When I put thin mittens over her hands, she screams.  When I carry her on my back.. you guessed it.. she screams.  She's normally not a screamer, so I'm seeing that we're both really frustrated here.  Any ideas???   

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 PM

You could try wearing a nursing necklace for her to fiddle with, and redirect her hands.

These are popular: http://www.mommynecklaces.com/

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#3 of 3 Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post

You could try wearing a nursing necklace for her to fiddle with, and redirect her hands.

These are popular: http://www.mommynecklaces.com/

Gah!  Why didn't I think of this?  Brilliant.  I do have one nursing necklace that is all satin string with a chewy circle tied as a pendant, but I gave up on it because she would just suck on the string for about ten seconds (at the side of my neck) and seemed bored with it.  I think if I got something that was all beads all the way around the necklace, instead of just a pendant, she might really be intrigued with that.  Thank you!  I have hope!  (sigh)

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page