What nutritious items do you add to your older infant's diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not able to breastfeed my baby for anything but comfort, so it is very important to me that I give her quality foods and good organic grub. 

Do you add anything to your baby's diet? 

I like to give her nutritional yeast, seaweed snacks, and coconut oil. What else do you have that is good for their little bellies. 

She is 9 months old and does not eat purees. Only chunks. 

always celebrating guitar.gif

#2 of 25 Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm really into traditional foods... so in addition to veggies, avocado, meat, and some fruits,  I try to do liver, egg yolks (although he doesn't really like egg yolks- but will eat anything else), bone broth (just boil left over bones in water and some vinegar, and then let simmer for a long time, up to 12 hours),   I also give fish oil and probiotics.

i also have a 9 month old.

#3 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

How do you give just the yolk? Is it cooked completely? Thanks for the response. 

#4 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Watching this also--how do you give your little on bone broth?  In a cup?  Also, how do you cook your liver?

We also do egg yolk (just separate the egg and toss the white or I eat it) and avocado.  Other than that, I am interested too!!

#5 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 03:14 PM

How do you give just the yolk? Is it cooked completely? Thanks for the response.

--- I usually just soft to medium boil it, then scoop it out ... but if she only eats chunks you could hard boil it and then separate from the whites.  

Watching this also--how do you give your little on bone broth?  In a cup?  Also, how do you cook your liver?

---------I usually make the purees with the bone broth... or add it to what ever i'm mushing up. here is a link and a pdf on how to make bone broth... don't know if the pdf will work.

http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/how-to-make-beautiful-broth

file:///Users/nishant/Desktop/bonebroth  

I just started doing the liver,.. and i don't know if there is a better way to prepare it.. but I just boiled it, then pureed it.. but if you just want it chunky you could just mash or cut in small peices.. If you over boil.. it will get hard and rubbery though.

#6 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Bone Broth

“Traditional Bone Broth In Modern Health and Disease” Dr. Allison Siebecker

ABOUT

Broth, made from the bones of animals, has been consumed as a source of nourishment for humankind throughout the ages. It is a traditional remedy across cultures for the sick and weak. A classic folk treatment for colds and flu, it has also been used historically for ailments that affect connective tissues such as the gastrointestinal tract, the joints, the skin, the lungs, the muscles and the blood.

Bone broth contains the ingredients that are in bone, and the ingredients in the cartilage that surround the ends of the bones to form joints. Bone and cartilage are both classified as connective tissue. This connective tissue functions to bind or hold together the body. Connective tissue provides strength and structure because it is composed of a matrix built from numerous essential minerals, collagen and elastin.

Broth can be thought of as a protein supplement and a calcium supplement. Bone broth contains glycine and proline (collagen/ gelatin), calcium and phosphorus (minerals), hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate (important components in our cartilage and joints), among many other minerals and amino acids. Bone broth is nutrient dense, easily absorbed, and makes a distinctively good medicine.

Broth has fallen out of favor in most households today, probably due to the increased pace of life that has reduced home cooking in general. Far from being old-fashioned, broth (or stock) continues to be a staple in professional and gourmet cuisine, due to its unsurpassed flavor and body. It serves as the base for many recipes including soup, sauces and gravy. Broth is a valuable medicine and food.

INGREDIENTS

1. Bones From poultry, fish, shellfish, beef, lamb (pork not recommended) Remnants of a previous meal, with or without skin and meat Raw bones, with or without skin and meat Use a whole carcass or just parts (good choices include feet, ribs, necks and knuckles) Don’t forget shellfish shells, whole fish carcasses (with heads) or small dried shrimp Raw bones and meat may be browned first in the oven, or in the bottom of the stockpot to enhance flavor and color.

2. Water Start with cold filtered water Enough to just cover the bones Or 2 cups water per 1 pound bones

3. Vinegar A splash of apple cider, red or white wine, rice, balsamic Lemon juice may be substituted for vinegar (citric acid instead of acetic acid)

4. Vegetables Peelings and scraps like ends, tops and skins Celery, carrots, onions, garlic and parsley are the most traditionally used, but any

Simple everyday ingredients; chicken and beef bones, vegtable scrabs and herbs.

will do.

RECIPE

Combine bones, water and vinegar in a pot, let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour, bring to a simmer, remove any scum that has risen to the top, reduce heat and simmer (6-48 hrs for chicken, 12 –72 hrs for beef). To reduce cooking time, you may smash or cut bones into small pieces first. If desired, add vegetables in last 1⁄2 hour of cooking (or at any point as convenience dictates). Strain through a colander or sieve, lined with cheesecloth for a clearer broth. Discard the bones. If uncooked meat was used to start with, reserve the meat for soup or salads.

An easy way to cook broth is to use a crockpot on low setting.

After putting the ingredients into the pot and turning it on, you can just walk away. If you forget to skim the impuri- ties off, it’s ok, it just tastes better if you do. If you wish to remove the fat for use in gravy, use a gravy separator while the broth is warm, or skim the fat off the top once refrigerated. Cold broth will gel when sufficient gelatin is present. Broth may be frozen for months or kept in the refrigerator for about 5 days.

Soup – Make soup by adding vegetables, beans, grains or meat to broth. Briefly cook vegetables and meat with but- ter or oil in the bottom of a stockpot (5 minutes). Add broth, and grains or previously soaked beans if you wish. Simmer until everything is cooked through. Time will vary with the ingredients used, but count on a minimum of 20 minutes. Season at the end of cooking with salt and pepper and spices of your choice. Consult cookbooks for spe- cific recipe ideas.

Cooking Liquid - Use broth in place of water to cook rice, beans or other grains. Bring broth to a boil, add grains or beans, reduce heat and cook for instructed time. Or you can simmer vegetables or meat in a little seasoned broth until cooked. Remove to a plate, thicken broth with cornstarch, arrowroot or flour, then pour over vegetables and meat.

Gravy – Make gravy to put on vegetables, meat or biscuits. Put fat (removed from the broth, or use butter) in a skillet. Add any type of flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir constantly until browned. Whisk in broth and cook till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Tea – Don’t forget you can just add salt and sip broth like tea. This is especially nice in the winter or if you’re feel- ing sick. Since broth is simultaneously energizing and calming, it can take the place of morning coffee, afternoon tea, or evening nightcap. Try it in a thermos and sip throughout the day. Of course, the most traditional use for seasoned broth is as a first course, to enhance the digestion of any meal to come. INGREDIENTS ING

Conditions supported by bone broth: Aging skin, allergies, anemia, asthma, atherosclerosis, brittle nails, Celiac Disease, colic, constipation, dental degeneration, depression, detoxification, diabetes, diarrhea, food sensitivities, fractures, gastritis, high cho- lesterol, reflux, ulcers, hyperparathyroidism (primary), hypertension, hypochlorhydria, hypoglycemia, immunodepression, in- creased urination, infectious disease, inflammation, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis), in- somnia, intestinal bacterial infections, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Jaundice, joint injury, Kidney stones, leaky gut, muscle cramps, muscle spasms, muscle wasting, muscle weakness, Osteoarthritis, Osteomalacia, Osteoporosis, Periodontal Disease, weight loss due to illness, wound healing

Original article available at: http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm

USAGE

BONE BROTH

#7 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Do you do beans yet?  DD loves canellini (sp?), particularly in the context of a soup.

#8 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

First of all, why are y'all separating out the egg whites? I haven't given Max eggs directly yet, but some stuff with eggs in it (like quiche and salad with eggs)...whites and all! Any reason I should stop? I would say on average he'll get eggs maybe 2x/month as we're not big egg eaters around here.

I just try to keep nearly everything I give him healthy. He eats an entire avocado for breakfast usually (he LOVES them!!), and I give him plain organic cow milk yogurt about every other day. And every day he also eats a banana at some point. We love beans so he's getting them nearly every day. Also sweet potato...and just whatever we're having. I am vegetarian and for now so is Max. I try to keep our diet as whole, fresh and healthy as I can. Honestly I do not pay any attention to exactly what vitamins, protein, etc he's getting. I just sort of assume it's all in there if I keep to a fresh whole diet with lots of fruit and veg. I would think even if you're not BFing, the same principle applies (although I assume you have to give some sort of supplemental formula until one year, right?).

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM

I'll be watching for ideas too!

DS is 8 months old and we've done BLW so he doesn't eat purees.  He pretty much just eats what we eat.

So far the staples seem to be banana and avocados.  I always have those on hand.  Other fruits that he enjoys so far are ripe mango (if you keep the skin on it's easier for them to hang on and they can peel the flesh from the skin with their teeth) and apples that are steamed with some cinnamon.  He's also tried watermelon and loved it but since it's not in season right now I haven't been buying it.  I had bought frozen peaches but he found them too sour.

For veggies the staples are broccoli and carrots, steamed.  He also enjoys green beans and had peas for the first time yesterday and loved them (it was all he wanted to eat!!)  Also, he loves mashed potato, mashed yams and mashed sweet potato (or any combination of the 3 is yummy).  He just uses his hands to eat them, messy but efficient.  At first I made the mashes with breastmilk for him, but now I just give him whatever we are eating.

For starches (in addition to the potatoes) he usually eats oatmeal mixed with yogurt (I have to help him eat this as he isn't efficient with a spoon yet) and sometimes mashed banana, homemade whole wheat bread toasted (sometimes with blackstrap molasses for the iron) and sometimes noodles (such as macaroni or egg noodles).  He also loves the baby mum mum rice rusk crackers but only gets them when we're out of the house and I need something easy.  I've also started giving him plain cheerios.

For protein his favs so far are chicken and turkey.  I made tandoori chicken and he gobbled it right up.  He's also had tofu and ate it but it wasn't his favourite.  We've given him a bit of fish (talapia and cod) which he ate but didn't love either.  He doesn't like pork but does like beef but I find that is harder for him to chew than chicken.  Meatballs are a fun one because they're easy for little hands to hold onto.  I think I'm going to try doing some lentils this week, haven't gotten around to it yet.

PJ I think the concern with the eggs is the possible allergens in the egg whites.  I've also given DS scrambled eggs (just this weekend) and he loved them.  We don't have a history of allergies in my family so I'm not as cautious as I might otherwise be.

Otherwise, we also give DS a probiotic (not every day now though) and a vitamin D supplement (not enough time outside in the winter here!)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

After reading the other replies, it seems relevant to know how well your LO does with solids in general.  Mine, for example, will probably not eat a whole avocado or banana until she's 30 :), so when I think about weaning her (she's formula fed, so I'd like to do this sooner than later), I'm really concerned with introducing foods that pack a nutritional and caloric punch in very small quantities.  Is that the case with yours, too, or does she eat solids pretty readily? 

#11 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

After reading the other replies, it seems relevant to know how well your LO does with solids in general.  Mine, for example, will probably not eat a whole avocado or banana until she's 30 :), so when I think about weaning her (she's formula fed, so I'd like to do this sooner than later), I'm really concerned with introducing foods that pack a nutritional and caloric punch in very small quantities.  Is that the case with yours, too, or does she eat solids pretty readily? 

Cecilia, who turns one tomorrow, is breastfed, but we have the same problem. I know that traditionally in Western society babies start on cow's milk at 1. Even in I was on board with cow's milk, which I am not really, Cecilia doesn't eat anywhere near enough solid food to cut out any of the breastmilk she gets. I have thought about giving her goat's milk in addition to what she gets from me and the SNS, but so far she doesn't like anything but water in her sippy.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#12 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on the birthday tomorrow. How fun!

I cannot imagine us starting Cow's Milk at 1 either. Since I have to supplement, I am always giving dd coconut milk or goat's milk in between nursing. I am so happy that I have her down to just two bottles of formula for 24 hours. 

However, my little one is an exceptional eater. I have never seen her not eat something. I guess that is both a blessing and a curse because she always wants to put everything in her mouth. 

Thanks for the cannelini bean suggestion newmamalizzy.  OMG, she loved them. Fun food to give her too.

#13 of 25 Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Here is an interesting page from Weston Price on feeding babies with traditional foods.  I don't agree with everything they are recommending, but there is some good stuff and info. If you scroll to the bottom, they will give instruction on how to prepare the liver.

http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/317.html

#14 of 25 Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

My DD is 3 now but DS will be starting solids soon so i've been trying to remember all the foods she had as a baby

Infant probiotic powder is so good for digestion and immunity.

Otherwise loads of fruit and veg

Nori is a fun snack, not sure what age you can start giving that at?

Also I used to sprinkle ground flax on yoghurt and anything else that it would blend into. (realise you are doing mostly chunks right now) It can make things a bit gloopy and glutinous though so not too much.

baked sweet potato chunky fries were a big hit with my dd. hmmm all this talk of food is making me hungry!

Lottie x

#15 of 25 Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lottie, thanks for the response, we do flax and oat meal. DD loves it. Flax is quite yummy. 

Hey, do you have a recomendation for an infant prbx? We have yarrow, but it has dairy. 

#16 of 25 Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 AM

We use Bio Gia probiotic drops.  In Canada (not sure which West Coast you refer to!) they are available for sure at Shoppers Drug Mart if you ask the pharmacist (as they are refridgerated)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#17 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

@happyhippy  - thanks for this post!  how old is your girl?  we have to supplement with formula as well.  i would say that my DD (30 weeks) gets 35-40% from me and 50% from formula 10% from homemade purees and healthy veggie/fruit snacks.  

i would love for her to have coconut and or goats milk instead/as well.  where could i read more about this?

#18 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Domestikater...is your name Kate, because that would be adorable!

Well I just sort of decided on my own that I didn't want to give her that much formula. She is 9 months now. I would say my dd is exactly like yours, except we are 10% formula/ and 50% fruits, veggies, tofu, and anything else she can get her hands on. Then the rest she gets from me.

Here is a great recipe for a goat's milk supplement   http://puremamas.squarespace.com/blog_all/2009/5/7/homemade-baby-formula.html

Also, in Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" book she has another recipe. Some of my mama friends swear by it, but we don't eat animal flesh, so it wasn't for us. 

We also give DD coconut water as it is incredibly hydrating and she is a busy bee. 

#19 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

my name is Katie- i've had the Kater nickname for awhile... :)  it just changed to DomestiKater when i was prego :)

if you have time, and wouldn't mind, would you share what your typical day looks like with food/drink for your girl?  since they are so close in age...

do you go to a doc?  if so, what do they say? 

this is so interesting and exciting to me!!! 

how long has she been 10% formula and 40% BM from you?  

thanks so much!

KT

#20 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! That is so cute. Umm, I will pm you how about. 

#21 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

We're struggling with the same thing. What I've started doing is just smearing everything with "something else." For example, Daniel loves toast, so I baste it in butter. He loves "wheatines" so I smear them with cream cheese. He actually digs cream cheese so much that he'll hold it in his hands and just lick the cream cheese off. Fine by me! I know you don't do purees, but Daniel even gets olive oil mixed into his purees. He likes to eat but only eats small amounts. He digs beans lately, also little chunks of cheese. So far he's had cheddar and mozzerella, but I'm eager to let him try fattier cheeses like brie. We also like yogurt a lot, but if we eat too much yogurt we have stomach issues so we only eat it once a day.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#22 of 25 Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM

hey really sorry havent replied sooner life got crazy as my dd had a severe allergic reaction and we've been trying to figure that out so since then everything else went on the backburner!

the probiotic powder i used when she was little was udos choice infant blend (i went to get that again but apparently they now only do toddler blend but its the same i'm told), but that does also have trace amounts of dairy. so i just got some 'florababy' by renew life for my 6 month old son, I'm not sure if that has any dairy traces but it doesnt say either way on the container or website so im hopeful it doesnt.

lottie :)

#23 of 25 Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM

How and why are you giving your babies coconut oil? I have some that I bought for cooking with and for using for our dry skin and we love it. Can I also feed him a little as well or melt it over his steamed veggies?
#24 of 25 Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 AM

I give coconut oil in oatmeal and even on a spoon. It is much healthier than many other types of oil!

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#25 of 25 Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 PM

My daughter is almost 10 months and we just give her fruits and veg all across the board. I was giving her all kinds of food, but she was having some tummy/night sleeping issues and her naturopath suggested I stay away from dairy, eggs, meat and wheat because those foods commonly cause food sensitivity reactions. She also suggested giving food that is high in iron and zinc because breastfed babes tend to be deficient on those two things at a year. At 12 months is when I will be giving my daughter things high in protein. Here are her suggestions, from a food introduction handout she gave me:

High in Iron foods: Swiss chard, dulse, mustard greens, leeks, apricots, spinach, broccoli, pumpkin, peas, sweet potato, amaranth, beets, Lima beans, white potato, pinto beans

Medium Iron: Figs, Raisins, Prunes, Collard greens

Significant Iron: green beans, parsley, blueberries, banana, raspberries, apple sauce

High in Zinc: swiss chard, lima beans, white potato, green/string beans

Medium Zinc: Mustard Greens, kidney beans, split peas, leeks

High protein: Mung bean sprouts, tofu, lentils, split peas, pumpkin seeds, goat's milk, fish/tuna

Moderate protein: quinoa, amaranth, garbanzo beans, white potato, soy milk

I am trying to focus more on solids, upping the times I offer them to her. I am trying to give her meals three times a day on most days, I've been doing just two times a day. I try to give her food whenever I eat meals, but sometimes I slack on it.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page