walking at 6 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Believe it or not...I started walking at 6 months..and was practically running in two weeks!! my mom always told me the story about the doctor who two days earlier had examined me..i had just turned 6 months and had a regular check up..the doctor "discovered" that I might have a problem with my hip bones and that he needed further tests....and viola:: 2 days later mom takes me back to the clinic and the doctor is practically SHOCKED when he sees me walking....I knew that I started sitting on my own when I was 3 months old and I started talking "I mean REALLY talking and not just words" when I was nine months old...When I was 12 months old I knew all the Arabic letters and some English letters...and I memorized some complete songs!!!! Now I'm pregnant with my first baby and already thinking: "will my baby be like me?" Well, give me your thoughts.....thank you

#2 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Could be, but it could be that your baby takes after your husband's side too. I walked at 8 months and talked quite early. My daughter is a year old next week and not walking yet, but talking well, so she got one of them from my side and the other from my husband's, I guess!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 02:51 PM

If your LO does walk and talk early, that will be wonderful, and you should be proud. But, I would try not to compare your future LO's milestones with your own. Our expectations of our children can have a powerful impact on our parenting.

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#4 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This post upsets me. It's not a race! Please don't expect your baby to be like you....in any way. Your baby is its own person and will reach milestones and learn to read at his or her own pace. Comparing to yourself or other kids will damage his/her self esteem and come between you two. Plus, I think it's unfair to try and teach kids to read as babies. Infancy and early childhood are for playing and babies learn and discover SO MUCH all by themselves, just as nature intended. We do not need to teach or expect them to recognize letters at such a very young age! Please, please let go of even thinking about this. What's important is that you baby is well bonded to you and gets all the love you can give, not when she learns to read or walk!

I realize we all think about, and sometimes worry about milestones....comes with the territory of parenting. But to start comparing your baby to you, and expecting or hoping that he/she will reach milestones unusually early because you did....before it's even born!....seems extreme to me.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 AM

I suspect a troll.

ETA: If you are a genuine poster - Your baby will reach milestones at the right time for them, and no matter whether that's early or late you will love them just as much.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#6 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for all your posts... and just to set things straight I was not trying to compare my baby to myself or any other babies... I was just wondering if there is something genetic about walking or talking early... and whether I should be prepared for that!!! I know that each baby sets his or her pace and I know my baby will...(at least if he or she had my stubborn head)....but I was trying to imagine my mother's surprise and how she felt at that time!!!!

Please don't judge me....I'm still not even a mom yet!!!!!  And barely taking it step by step......

#7 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

This post upsets me. It's not a race! Please don't expect your baby to be like you....in any way. Your baby is its own person and will reach milestones and learn to read at his or her own pace. Comparing to yourself or other kids will damage his/her self esteem and come between you two. Plus, I think it's unfair to try and teach kids to read as babies. Infancy and early childhood are for playing and babies learn and discover SO MUCH all by themselves, just as nature intended. We do not need to teach or expect them to recognize letters at such a very young age! Please, please let go of even thinking about this. What's important is that you baby is well bonded to you and gets all the love you can give, not when she learns to read or walk!

I realize we all think about, and sometimes worry about milestones....comes with the territory of parenting. But to start comparing your baby to you, and expecting or hoping that he/she will reach milestones unusually early because you did....before it's even born!....seems extreme to me.

I agree with everything in this post.  If OP is for real, which I tend to doubt, please don't put these unrealistic expectations on your child. With those kinds of "milestones" no child will measure up.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#8 of 12 Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

Quote:

I agree with everything in this post.  If OP is for real, which I tend to doubt, please don't put these unrealistic expectations on your child. With those kinds of "milestones" no child will measure up.

Thank you 4 ur opinion and I respect it...but please try reading my post before replying...

#9 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's please assume the best of each other and not make unfounded accusations. smile.gif
Knitting Mama likes this.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

sry

#11 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama2011 View Post

Believe it or not...I started walking at 6 months..and was practically running in two weeks!! my mom always told me the story about the doctor who two days earlier had examined me..i had just turned 6 months and had a regular check up..the doctor "discovered" that I might have a problem with my hip bones and that he needed further tests....and viola:: 2 days later mom takes me back to the clinic and the doctor is practically SHOCKED when he sees me walking....I knew that I started sitting on my own when I was 3 months old and I started talking "I mean REALLY talking and not just words" when I was nine months old...When I was 12 months old I knew all the Arabic letters and some English letters...and I memorized some complete songs!!!! Now I'm pregnant with my first baby and already thinking: "will my baby be like me?" Well, give me your thoughts.....thank you

This seems like a perfectly reasonable worry/thought pre-baby. I don't understand why PP reacted so strongly. I think about my LO meeting milestones, and can't help but see pieces of myself and DH in her. I mean she has the same crocked smile with one dimple on her right cheek, exactly like me, and with her dark hair and bright blue eyes, I can't help but see my Mom in her. Before she was born I didn't know her, so I had different expectations, and was concerned about whether she'd develop early or late, be super smart or average, or whatever else.

Now that my LO is here, I still see family resemblances, and am proud that she's meeting milestones, typically a little early, which fits genetically, but I also see how much she is her own little person. It's easy to let her grow and develop at her own pace now that I've met her. I trust her to let me know what she needs without being overly concerned about when she's doing anything, she'll get there when she's ready.

I think it's perfectly normal to imagine how your LO will be before they arrive, and it's perfectly normal to compare to self, as LO is part of self, especially during pregnancy. It's only after birth that your LO diverges from you to become their own self. It's then that you have to let go, and recognize that your LO is going to be whoever they are, and develop at their own pace.

#12 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank u rtjunker + couldnt have put it in better words... I was just wondering and ppl jumped all over my head!!!..well forget about it..Im happy 2 report that my baby turned out 2 be my complete opposite in temper...you cant imagine how short tempered that little lady is..I swear she sometimes just loves 2 tease me...she is 7 months old for the love of god!!! Lol...but really..she isnt walking yet so I guess she didnt beat her mama at that..hhhhhhh...she is starting 2 crawl and destroy....soooo cute...whatever she does I cant help but laugh...she is my little naughty side in a sense I guess..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page