Is it possible to introduce a paci to a 5 mth old??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far I have not used a pacifier with my DD...she will be 5 mths next week.  I am starting to get nervous about the odd time when I am not the one to put her to sleep at night.  While I am on mat leave it is really maybe once a month since I sing in a band and do band gigs... Last night my mom watched her and my mom got very distressed because she said she could tell she was tired and wanted to sleep, but could not fall asleep without sucking...her finger didn't work and we don't use a paci, so it was very hard for her and I came home from rehearsal and once nursing she fell asleep right away. 

Is it possible to introduce one this late and have it used infrequently?  

What kinds are the best?  

I know it may be a lot to ask to have her take a paci so infrequently, but I'm not sure how else to satisfy her sucking need when I am not around....

#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have much advice but I was thinking of introducing one after my daughter starts taking solids whenever that may be. She has a preference for her hand and thumb at times and I really don't want a thumb sucker. When we give her a pacifier instead her tongue just pushes it out. So I am wondering if after she takes solids it will be easier to give her a pacifier. My whole idea is eventually a pacifier is easier to take away when she is older than her thumb. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We used one in the car only for about a month when ds was 6 months old. We'd never really tried before that but he was getting really distressed in the car (we had just moved & were suddenly in the car for longer trips regularly). He was a little resistant to it but once he would accept it it would calm him right away. It was great but after about a month he refused it again.

So, yes, it is possible.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page