Arms reach Co-Sleeper recalled - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, sorry if this has already been posted, but since so many parents use, I thought it was impportant:

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-cpsc-crib-recall,0,5947637.story

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Infant Bed-Side Sleepers

Units: About 76,000

Manufacturer: Arm's Reach Concepts Inc., of Oxnard, Calif.

Hazard: When the fabric liner is not used or is not securely attached, infants can fall from the raised mattress into the loose fabric at the bottom of the bed-side sleeper or can become entrapped between the edge of the mattress and the side of the sleeper, posing risks of suffocation.

Incidents/Injuries: CPSC and Arm's Reach have received 10 reports of infants falling from the raised mattress into the bottom of the sleeper or becoming entrapped between the edge of the mattress and the side of the bed-side sleeper. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves a product called a "co-sleeper" by the manufacturer. One side of the bed-side sleepers is lower than the others to allow positioning near a bed and access to the infant for care and feeding. This recall includes all Arm's Reach Original and Universal styles with manufacture dates between September 1997 and December 2001. The manufacture date and model number can be found on a sticker on one of the product's legs. Model numbers included in the recall begin with:

Originals - 8108, 8133, 8111, 8112 & 8199 Universal - 8311

Sold at: Burlington Coat Factory, Babies R Us and other retail stores nationwide from September 1997 through December 2001 for about $160.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bed-side sleepers and visit www.armsreach.com/instructions to view and download assembly instructions and to make sure that the product is properly configured. Consumers should also contact the company by phone or via the company website to receive hard-copy instructions by mail and an assembly/warning label. Consumers who are missing the fabric liner or other components should immediately contact Arm's Reach for an alternative remedy.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Arm's Reach at (800) 954-9353 between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.armsreach.com

#2 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think it's absolutely necessary to get this info out (about safety). However, I see the recall as a bit alarmist. I mean, 10 reports of falls, zero fatalities, zero injuries. IDK, just seems like those things do happen. Then again, I have heard the Arm's Reach is a piece of doodoo, and it seems real dumb that they designed it so that the mattress is lower than the adult bed's mattress! I have never seen one in person, but they look like those cheap plastic travel cribs.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Any idea are they talking about when the co-sleeper is positioned w/one side lower or when it both sides are up? I have one but only use it with both sides up.

#4 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I think it's absolutely necessary to get this info out (about safety). However, I see the recall as a bit alarmist. I mean, 10 reports of falls, zero fatalities, zero injuries. IDK, just seems like those things do happen. Then again, I have heard the Arm's Reach is a piece of doodoo, and it seems real dumb that they designed it so that the mattress is lower than the adult bed's mattress! I have never seen one in person, but they look like those cheap plastic travel cribs.

Not only that, but this is only on cosleepers from 1997-2001. I would hazard to guess that most people have way newer models than that. Still, it's good to look at if you're in the minority and have an older model.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 AM

My understanding is that the concern is people not correctly installing the fabric piece that helps hold the mattress up.  On the newer models, at least, there are snaps that must be fastened in order for the mattress to be securely attached.  The "recall" is a new set of instructions and a warning sticker.  We used the co-sleeper until she was too big for it, and were pretty happy with it.  I liked having a separate sleeping space, that I could easily see and touch the baby in.  That said, we were never great at bedsharing, or side lying nursing.  I can definitely see how this wouldn't be a great device if that is what you were trying to do.

#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I am in the middle of setting up my cosleeper, so I haven't actually used it yet, but my understanding is that the baby's mattress is a little bit lower than the adult mattress because when the adult gets in bed the mattress sinks a bit and then would not be flush with the baby's mattress, causing a space in which the baby could become caught.

Also, the recall is because there are people not using the cosleeper as indicated, choosing to not use the liner under the matress, so naturally there is a space between the side of the cosleeper and the mattress. That isn't a design flaw, it's user error.
my kidlets and me likes this.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page