Is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5mo has, up to this point, hardly cried at all in her life, and only fussed a little. But recently she has started crying often when I lay her down (whether it's for sleep or not), when I dress her in the morning, and at various other times. Really sad, lower lip trembling, frustrated crying. Not for very long, but still... it's happening quite a few times a day. She seems to feel insecure or something and I'm wondering why. Is it a stage thing, or could she be really tired (do they start needing more sleep around this time? She seems tired) or sick? Other things that have been going on in the last few weeks - I can't wear her in the carrier any more b/c I hurt my back, and I was usually wearing her at least 3 hours a day before that. She also rolled off the bed, and then I fell while carrying her last week (she was fine, but it startled her quite a bit). Anyway, wondering if anyone's BTDT.

mama to my girl (b. oct. 2010), cding, cosleeping, babywearing, trying to ec.
#2 of 9 Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM

I would take her to a ped. just to get checked after a fall, especially since you've noticed behaviour change. fwiw, my 4.5 mo old cries when i lay him down because he wants to seee everythingggg mooommmm. As soon as he is sitting up, he's happy. I think around this age they start to have a new perspective on the world (holding their heads up, sitting unassisted) and that is what they always want to do.

((hugs mama))

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#3 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Could just be protest crying.  Mine (almost 5 months) is definitely letting me know if we're not doing exactly what he wants to do. 

#4 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

hm, yes, it really could be! I noticed today that if I'm holding her in my lap until she falls asleep that she is so much more peaceful than if i lay her down next to me. I know lots of people say not to do that, but it brings us both more peace, so i'm choosing not to listen to those voices. Hopefully that will help with all the other crying times, too.

mama to my girl (b. oct. 2010), cding, cosleeping, babywearing, trying to ec.
#5 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 PM

i see no reason why you shouldn't hold her to fall asleep sitting up. some babies like it better that way. (just like some like to be on their backs/bellies or need to be rocked) if it works for her and for you then go with it.

FarrenSquare likes this.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

I agree, definitely do what works for you now. Baby D falls asleep mostly upright in my arms and we bounce or rock him down. We can lay him down once he is asleep for the most part. Other times he falls asleep upright in the ergo, and then we don't put him down, he just naps upright the entire time.

People will say a lot about what you should and shouldn't do, but they aren't the expert on your child, you are! Do what works until it doesn't anymore!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#7 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsparrow View Post

hm, yes, it really could be! I noticed today that if I'm holding her in my lap until she falls asleep that she is so much more peaceful than if i lay her down next to me. I know lots of people say not to do that, but it brings us both more peace, so i'm choosing not to listen to those voices. Hopefully that will help with all the other crying times, too.

Good, I am glad you're listening to what your inner mama tells you! If your baby needs the closeness and comfort of being snuggled to sleep now, that means that she is growing into a secure person because she will learn to be confident that the needs she has will always be met by her parents. Children who are secure in the love of their parents tend to be the most self-confident. smile.gif

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#8 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

I totally hold my babies to sleep! My first slept with me for the first almost two years, and still likes a cuddle to fall asleep at times-- but I am so glad I did it that way. it's such a short time overall!

Also I would take baby in, maybe to a chiro who works with babies. Might have tweaked something in the fall that feels bad while on her back on a really firmer flat surface?
#9 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM

i'd guess if you had to suddenly cut your babywearing out because of an injury, it could be contributing to the fussy period. it sounds like you've got a happy girl in general...and that's great! good for you for going with what works for the two of you!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page